Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Haven't been posting for a while, but I do get to read posts and look at beatiful pics of your babies every once in a while.

Got a question on DHLPP. Went to the vet for Nilla's 3rd booster, and they scheduled her for a 4th one in 4 weeks. I could swear Hershey only had 3 sets as far as I could remember. They said it's really 4. First 2 for DHPP and the last 2 for DHLPP. Is it really 4?? :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls all had 3 puppy shots. 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Ruby's were done a week earlier for each.
I personally would not do 4 sets.
I did Rabies later. After their spay. Eden came to us with her Rabies done since she was 8 months.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get a titer instead. NO reason to vaccinate if she's already immune. They space those shots out hoping to catch them at the optimum time (after mom's antibodies have worn off). But once she is immune, she is immune. You don't 'booster' anything. They are either showing an immune response, or they are not. A titer will check that and you will know for sure without pumping her full of vaccines she doesn't need.

Edit: Oh, and definitely PASS on the lepto!!! That is the L in the series. It causes severe reactions in many dogs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My girls all had 3 puppy shots. 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Ruby's were done a week earlier for each.
I personally would not do 4 sets.
I did Rabies later. After their spay. Eden came to us with her Rabies done since she was 8 months.
Thanks Karen. I looked over Hershey's records and I was right she only got three. Definitely not getting a 4th one. :foxes15: Our vet is out today so it was a vet that hasn't seen my girls.

Get a titer instead. NO reason to vaccinate if she's already immune. They space those shots out hoping to catch them at the optimum time (after mom's antibodies have worn off). But once she is immune, she is immune. You don't 'booster' anything. They are either showing an immune response, or they are not. A titer will check that and you will know for sure without pumping her full of vaccines she doesn't need.

Edit: Oh, and definitely PASS on the lepto!!! That is the L in the series. It causes severe reactions in many dogs.
Thanks Tracy. I'd keep that in mind and get a titer in her 1st year. Same with Hershey next year.

Looks like Nilla's getting the reaction on the lepto :( She's not lethargic or anything, but she has thrown up 4x already and her left shoulder blade is really sore. She would scream whenever anything gets close to it, even the blanket. I'll watch her closely. My poor little baby. :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Poor baby. Yes I agree about the Lepto in the shot. Usually found in ponds, or stagnant water. I think its a virus passed by beavers etc that are found in those locations. No ponds or stagnant water= no lepto. Sue PS Make sure she keeps hydrated. Pedialyt maybe.? Sue

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor baby. Yes I agree about the Lepto in the shot. Usually found in ponds, or stagnant water. I think its a virus passed by beavers etc that are found in those locations. No ponds or stagnant water= no lepto. Sue PS Make sure she keeps hydrated. Pedialyt maybe.? Sue
Thanks, that's a good idea. Let me go get some pedialyte.

My girls stay indoors 90-95% of the time. And I change their water bowls 2x a day... should have said no to the lepto :(

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hello everyone. Haven't been posting for a while, but I do get to read posts and look at beatiful pics of your babies every once in a while.

Got a question on DHLPP. Went to the vet for Nilla's 3rd booster, and they scheduled her for a 4th one in 4 weeks. I could swear Hershey only had 3 sets as far as I could remember. They said it's really 4. First 2 for DHPP and the last 2 for DHLPP. Is it really 4?? :confused: :confused:
I for one would like to say

WE MISS SEEING PICS OF HERSHEY AND NILLA !!!:sad8::sad5:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Much agreed on the passing of the 4 th series, and no lepto ( so many dogs of all breeds have trouble with that one).

Good luck, I hope she feels better. Would some Benadryl help? It has a bit of anti inflammatory properties to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.