Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jasmine has diarrhea!!! :confused:

The only thing that she has done differently today is she took her first dip in a swimming pool. She was only in there for about 30 seconds, didn't go under at all and had her head above water at all times. She did however lick some of the pool water around the pool. Could it be the chemicals? I gave her a bath about 10 minutes after being in the pool. She had very soft stools before getting in the pool, but not runny like it is now. I'm at a lost. She acts fine. She's had two bouts of explosive diarrhea. I just fed her about a tablespoon of rice mixed with a tiny bit of gravy (she wouldn't eat the rice plain). Is there something else I can do to help her? I'm freaking out a little because I've read so many times how quickly Chihuahuas can become dehydrated due to their small size.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I would fast her until morning. After that I would try some boiled Chicken, no salt, and boiled rice, no salt. Very little at first to see how her tummy tolerates it. Try giving just a bit every 4 hours. You can add in some canned Pumpkin (not pie filling) if she will eat that, or Plain Yogurt, no sweeteners. If it continues, I would take her to see her Vet. They can go down quickly, and the diarrhea can become worse.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
No gravy. :wink:

I would not let her drink, or even lick at pool water.

Also wanted to mention. If she starts acting lethargic, listless, blood in stool, or her gums aren't a nice pink color, I would get her into a Vet asap. The gums should look pink and wet, not sticky.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!!! I will not give her anything else tonight, and also take your advice on the diet for tomorrow. She's not lethargic, still playing like crazy...I will be keeping a close eye on her though. I definitely won't allow her around pool water again. Thanks again for the much needed advice.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
You're welcome, and please keep us posted on how she's doing. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She's such a pretty lil tike. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh Rachel it's horrible when they get sick daisy has had a sickness bug last week abd lost half a pound poor baby!!! Like t said I'd starve her and keep her on a v v bland diet till her stools are firm again

I give natural yoghurt with probiotics in which helps sometimes I've heard pumpkin works wonders but we can't get this over here

Because she is tiny watch her u may need to give her some honey or something to get her sugars up

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said here. On a sidenote, another list I'm on has been talking about the overgrowth of algae this year in pools and other waters (lakes, ponds) because it's been so dang hot this year! I've heard of many dogs getting sick after swimming lately.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had to fast Tango shortly after I rescued him because he had some pretty nasty digestive issues. My Vet recommended give him a lick of NutriCal every hour. Luckily he really likes the stuff which made it easy to administer. I'd just offer him a smear on my finger. She said it would help stave off a hypoglycemic episode during the fast. Your dog may already be done with the fast, but thought I'd mention it anyway in case it's of use to someone else.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. She has a normal stool today. Thank goodness!!! I will still be playing it safe by feeding her plain chicken and rice today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts