Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what you're thinking "wow you again!?" Lol can't help it, everyone's so helpful here :D

So my dogs been having weird diarrhea and my mind can't help but roam to the raw diet. Here's the details of what might have caused the diarrhea:

Tuesday she somehow got into a pretty decent sized hunk of chocolate. About an hour later, she threw up and quite a bit of the chocolate (and her meal) came up. Either the same day or Wednesday morning, she pooped just fine and it was firm. On Wednesday my mom came to visit and brought some turkey for the dog. I noticed it said "with natural flavorings" but the salt was 80mg per 4ounces so I thought nothing of it. Fed an ounce to her in the morning, then for dinner she had her usual goat. 4:00am this morning, she had mushy dark poop. She pooped about 2 more times like this this morning and also threw up white foam. Now all throughout today, she's been squirting yellow stuff, ranging from watery to a little gooey.

So what do you think? Still has chocolate in her system bugging her, the "natural flavors" in the turkey did it, or raw meat in general? I really don't want to believe it was the raw diet and she's been on this diet just fine since January. If this doesn't clear up by tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet but I already know after they ask what I feed her they're going to say "oh, well there's your problem, the raw meat" :roll:

·
Registered
376 Posts
You may have already been told this so just ignore if this is old news. Have you tried pumpkin to firm it up? Or adding more bone to the meal? More bone always firms my boys poo back up and so then I can cut back to normal.

Sounds like between the chocolate and and turkey, the system just got bombarded and it's taking a little while to straigten back out.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
yeah, sounds like her system just got overloaded with the chocolate. (It wasn't dark chocolate or bakers chocolate was it? Because that is toxic to dogs.) Anyway, chocolate is bound to cause diarrhea/vomiting, etc. So I'd blame it on that.

I'd put her back on something very bland like skinless chicken breast with bone for a few meals and see if that doesn't straighten her up. I wouldn't overfeed, maybe just a little less than a normal meal so you don't overload her system.

You could also try a probiotic as diarrhea depletes the gut of good bacteria and can cause a bad cycle of loose poops.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I can't imagine it is the raw food in general. Chocolate however can mess up the system for awhile ( yes, past experience here talking--FYI watch the holiday candy times!). I too would suggest either raw chicken or turkey with some bone. Go light when feeding. A little yogurt and pumpkin mixed in would be soothing to the system too.

Btw-- your goat was from a reliable source right? This batch of goat you have has been served before without problems?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it's most likely the chocolate. I can't believe I left it just sitting out. In the four years I've had her, she has never been able to get a big piece of chocolate. Oh, and yes it was milk chocolate.

That was the first thing I did too, buy plain pumpkin and yogurt. That stuff never fails. So far she seems okay, hasn't pooped in about 6 hours or so when before she was pooping a little every hour. Now she's just sleeping away lol. And to answer your question, yes I've been feeding this batch of goat for about 3 weeks now with no problems.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like it just needs to run its course. She should be fine in a day or two. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
I figured it's most likely the chocolate. I can't believe I left it just sitting out. In the four years I've had her, she has never been able to get a big piece of chocolate. Oh, and yes it was milk chocolate.

That was the first thing I did too, buy plain pumpkin and yogurt. That stuff never fails. So far she seems okay, hasn't pooped in about 6 hours or so when before she was pooping a little every hour. Now she's just sleeping away lol. And to answer your question, yes I've been feeding this batch of goat for about 3 weeks now with no problems.
So glad for the improvement!
I asked about the goat because we can get it pretty easily here. I am always on alert to where it comes from (as not all farms are worthy in my book). Yep, paranoia once again--lol!
:):):)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So glad for the improvement!
I asked about the goat because we can get it pretty easily here. I am always on alert to where it comes from (as not all farms are worthy in my book). Yep, paranoia once again--lol!
:):):)
Lol I'm the same way, very picky about my meat and where it comes from. One of the butchers in my area makes some bags of ground up... stuff specifically for raw fed dogs but on the label it says "not fit for human consumption" so I'm like um I'll pass. Ha, then the people look at me like I'm crazy for buying the more pricey "people" meats and "wasting" them on a dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts