Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a little chi girl for my dad really. of course we all love and will spoil her. Dad lives with me. This little girl, Daisy May, has developed diarrhea and has me concerned. We just got her on Tuesday. She appears healthy and plays and eats. My dad fed her some steak and chicken. After that she got diarrhea. I put her on boiled chicken breast and white rice last night which is my typical cure for my own puppies that I raise, but they are much larger than her. So, I was just kind of worried, she doesn't even weigh a pound yet. She still has the diarrhea tonight altho not so much as last night. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Take her to the vet or at least call one. That's the only way to find out the real cause of diarrhea as it can be many many things. :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
how is she acting besides the diarrhea? it may be the people food she was given.... but you never can tell. i'd get her checked for parvo if it hasn't gotten better and she has other signs of ilness...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Karen said:
I bought a little chi girl for my dad really. of course we all love and will spoil her. Dad lives with me. This little girl, Daisy May, has developed diarrhea and has me concerned. We just got her on Tuesday. She appears healthy and plays and eats. My dad fed her some steak and chicken. After that she got diarrhea. I put her on boiled chicken breast and white rice last night which is my typical cure for my own puppies that I raise, but they are much larger than her. So, I was just kind of worried, she doesn't even weigh a pound yet. She still has the diarrhea tonight altho not so much as last night. Any suggestions?
I would go the vet if it persists...If it's not something serious it might be the steak. How old is she? I know my vet told me to keep Gizmo on puppy food only, and IF I EVER was to give him people food to wait until he was at least 3-4 months old because they have very sensitive stomachs. I gave Gizmo a small piece of a puppy biscuit when he was 10 weeks and he puked and had diarrhea the next day. I gave him some pedialyte just in case...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
some people dont seem to realise Parvo is very quick. your pup may vomit, or have diarrhea and continue the rest of the day playing and acting normal. you toss the vomitting off as well maybe stomach is upset or maybe ate too fast or too much. Then suddenly they lay down and hour by hour become lifeless they wont eat or drink. the rumbling sounds that can come from the bellies is horrid. this can all take place in a matter of 24 hours. I will never forget it as long as I live. you can try all you like to keep them hydrated but there will come a point to where they will take nothing and doing it by syringe will not help. however, your best bet is to get it to the VET ASAP ..good luck i hope it is nothing serious

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daisy May

She is doing quite well, but I plan to call my vet tomorrow. I normally would have taken her into the vet the day after bringing her home, but i have been tied up in workshops and Dad doesn't drive anymore. She is eating quite well, loves the chicken and rice. No rumbling noises from her tummy. She is also drinking. No more potties tonight so far even after eating. This is our second chi, the first one is now about five years old. Someone lost him or dumped out here as a puppy. Dad is crazy about him. Both guys seem to be really thinking Daisy May is pretty special. By the way he is neutered, (Rascal, the chi, I mean, not Dad). I bought this little girl because both guys fell in love with a little labradoodle that came to visit my mini stud. It was funny, the little chi guy just thought she was fabulous. He stayed right with her when possible and guarded her while she ate. She was oblivious of him. Anyway Daisy is delightful. We all just love her. Someone does need to tell her she is a little dog, she doesn't seem to know it. We are keeping her in a 3x5' puppy pen in the kitchen. Of course we take her out and play with her and hold her, but she is much safer in there when no one is right with her. I think she must be the littlest puppy we have ever had and smart as a whip. Of course I could be a bit prejudice

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
awww she andf your other chi sound adorable , she also sounds better and that it was probably just secondary to the chjange in diet, but you have to have her checked anyway so best to mention it to your vet, cant wait to see some pics of her - how old is she ? what colour ? is she long or smooth ? :wave:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daisy May

Daisy is blue with tan and a bit of white on her chest and toes. She is just as cute as she can be. My big momma dog, Katie thinks she should be taking care of her. If she cries or whimpers Katie runs in there and tries to get a person to go too. My brother has borrowed my digital camera, but I think I'll go get it back cause I must have a pic ofher with my dad. It's so cute!
I called the breeder's vet and she has had the parvo innoculation and everything else appropriate. We're going in on Tuesday. They said it was prob. just the move and keep feeding her chicken/rice plus a bit of peptobismal. Plus I can call if I need to. But, she is better, still soft stool but not as frequent nor as runny as it was.
Thanks for all your help you guys!
Karen

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
get her stool checked for worms. chiwi had coccidea even though she was wormed and it took 2 14 day treatments to get rid of. they can still have worms even if they were wormed :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts