Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting a diary even though I can't take Bosco home for 18 days. I am hoping this will make time move faster! :D

Well I called the breeder today, crossed my fingers, and asked her if hubby and I could come see little Bosco this weekend. My excuse was I wanted to bring him a little fleece blanket and a toy so he has stuff that smells like his mama when he comes home with us. But really I just want to see him! Carol, the breeder, is really cool and said no problem. So we are driving 1 hour 45 minutes to visit him on Saturday! I will of course take 50 million photos and post them here.

The picture below is the fleecie blanket we got him. It's for a baby but I still thought it was cute for a little boy dog. We also picked him up a little plush squeaky toy - it is a leopard print bone. Hubby (Karl) picked him out a puppy Kong for small breeds. :D We also got a neat food dish and water bowl.

I'll post more later. Including Bosco's baby photos. This will be the place where I post all of his pics. :)

Anna

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Anna, the blanket is very cute!!

How did you decide on the name Bosco? (I am sure it's a coincidence but that name means "wood" in italian :D )

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, I assure you we didn't name Bosco because of it's Italian meaning! :D

Karl and I are both big Seinfeld fans, and there was one episode which featured George and the secrecy around his ATM PIN. He wouldn't tell ANYONE what it was...then the secret started to eat at him and he finally ended up telling some woman in a coma. Well the woman woke up and screamed it out --- BOSCO! Which apparently is the name of some chocolate drink? Anyway, the word makes me smile, and so does the dog - so they are a good fit for each other. 8)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought I better post some pics of Bosco here! Below are a couple pictures that were taken when he was 2.5 weeks old.

The breeder sent me an updated photo of Bosco when he was almost 4 weeks old. He's got the cutest expression on his face but the picture wasn't so great - it was blurry and kind of dark and when I scanned it, it looks even worse! So I don't think I'll post that one. I'll just wait till I see him this weekend and then post those! :D

I'm trying to come up with a schedule for Bosco. I am thinking I will wake up an extra half-hour early :shock: (5a.m.) so I can feed him breakfast and then take him for a quick walk. Then when I get home from work (3p.m.) I will feed him again and take him for an afternoon walk. In the evening, I will feed him once more. Those walks are subject to good weather only, though! :lol: I hope feeding him 3x a day as a pup is good enough. I read somewhere that you should feed them 3x and another place said to ALWAYS have food available as pups. I'll have to look into this further.

Well I think I've avoided doing work enough for now! More later!
Anna

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have started having nightmares about little Bosco! I had this dream that we went to pick him up. I was so excited! So we get there, and it is an abandoned warehouse. There are floors and floors with no electricity or furniture or anything with glass on the floor and stuff. Well, the breeder takes me to where Bosco is, and he is long-haired! So Karl is saying to me “Don’t worry about it, don’t worry about it.” I tell the breeder, “You said he would be a smoothcoat!” and she just says “get his hair cut regularly and he will be!” I am so mad!

I go upstairs to talk to the breeder and try to tell her I am not paying full-price. Then Karl comes running to me and says “Come here, you have GOT to see the mom!” so we go back downstairs and there is this HUGE dog. I mean HUGE. Like a horse almost! I tell the lady “I thought you said our puppy was a Chihuahua!” and she says “Well I admit, the mother is not breed standard…but I assure you she is a Chihuahua.”

And then I woke up - Eep! I was traumatized all day by that dream! Anyway, just thought I would share. :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well tomorrow we get to visit little Bosco! :eek:ccasion9: I am looking forward to seeing how much he has changed in just 4 weeks time. Last time he just sort of crawled around and licked our fingers when we held him...now he will be walking around and playing! It's funny how attached I am to him already and I don't even *know* him yet.

When we went to see the litter last month, the girl dog we were planning to get was kind of whimpering a little, and the breeder said she was probably mad because before we had got there, Bosco had poo'ed on her! LOL I like to think that he did that so she would be stinky and he would be cuter! What an evil lil monkey! :twisted:

I am going to the library tonight to see if they have any books on Chihuahua's. They probably won't but it's worth a shot! I want to read the Chihuahua's for Dummies book...it is $17 so I would like to read through it and then purchase it if I thought I would refer back to it later on.

Well that's all the news for today I suppose! The next time I post in here, I will have lotsa pictures to share! YAY

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Boogaloo said:
I am going to the library tonight to see if they have any books on Chihuahua's. They probably won't but it's worth a shot! I want to read the Chihuahua's for Dummies book...it is $17 so I would like to read through it and then purchase it if I thought I would refer back to it later on.
The dummies book is a very good basic book, worth the investment.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have TONS of pictures of my little Bosco, but not much time to post --- so I'll have to write down all the cute things he did as well as post more pictures later. For now, here is a sneak peak of him at 6.5 week old:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, we went to see Bosco on Saturday. We got to the breeders house and there he was, looking cute as can be. He had just gotten back from the vet's - weighing in at 1 pound! He had his shots and got a clean bill of health from the vet. (Bosco didn't even cry when he got his shot!)

Of course I scooped Bosco up right away. His face has so much personality now and he is such a healthy little boy, running around and playing. He gnawed on a chew stick for a while and then romped around with Karl for a bit. Then we put him back and he interacted with his littermates for a while then took a bit of a snooze (They were pretty tuckered out from the vets office). We talked to the breeder about what else we need to buy, what shots he will still need, etc.

We brought Bosco his fleecie blanket and the breeder hung it on the side of their playpen. Well Bosco teamed up with his brother and they managed to get it down. They had a ball with that thing! So we threw in the plush leopard-print bone that we also brought and they loved nibbling on it and picking it up in their mouth even though it was almost the same size as they were! When we held Bosco he licked our hands and arms! He seemed to really like us. It was too cute & I hated to leave.

The vet told my breeder that we could have him this Friday (he'll be a couple days shy of his 8-week birthday). I told her to call me later this week and we'll decide what we should do. On a selfish note, I would of course like him home sooner, plus it is a holiday weekend so we would have an extra day at home with him. But, I sure don't want to rush anything or make this transition harder on him. BUT the vet said it is only a couple days early of the 8-week mark and he is completely weaned from his mom and eating hard food. I'm sure the vet knows better than me but I am still a bit leary.

On Sunday I went on a shopping spree! I got Bosco his playpen, piddle pads & tray, dog food, dog biscuits, a pigs ear, a place mat for his food and water bowls, a collar, a leash, and...ummm...I think that is about it! I still want to get a bag and of course a dog tag. I was going to get one from the machine at Petsmart but I wanted a silver one shaped like a dog bone and they only had gold. :(

Well I think that's all for now!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a vet appointment for Bosco on Saturday. This will just be a check-up to make sure he is healthy and happy. So it looks like it is really happening; I am getting a puppy on Friday! My boss is letting me work extra hours during the week so on Friday I can leave at 11:30a.m. to go get Bosco.

I also ordered a Bali II carrier - it should arrive before Bosco does. I really like it, at least in the picture, so hopefully Bosco will too. He will be able to stick his head out and see what is going on.

Also, one of Karl's friends and his wife are coming over at the weekend to see the new pup. Well, the wife is coming to see Bosco and the husband is coming to see Karl's new TV. :roll: ha-ha!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we're home!

Bosco is doing so great. He isn't scared of a thing and he pottys on his piddle pad. He is eating really well and drinking lots of water and loves gnawing on his pigs ear. I'm so surprised that he is so confident in his new home! I think he loves it here already. It sure is nice having him in the house!

He constantly bangs his head on our coffee table but it doesn't seem to faze him. Must be hard-headed! He also has the funniest run! And when he wimpers, it sort of cresendos into a yodel. Too funny!

He did so-so sleeping last night. I laid him down at 9 and he was fast asleep and I thought "boy, that was easy!" But then he woke up a couple hours later. He kept waking up every 2 hours and whining. Of course hubby and I caved in and would go play with him for about 20 minutes, that would tire him out and then he would fall fast asleep. Two hours later he would whine again. Oh well it was his first night! Who needs sleep when you have a puppy like this?? :D

Well here are just a couple photos - I've already taken a zillion!! More later! He's headed to the vet in a couple hours!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bosco sure did good yesterday. First off, he had a vets appt. in the morning. The vet said he is super-healthy! He goes back in 1 week to get all his shots. This was just a check-up. He drew quite a crowd because of his tiny-ness and cuteness. :D Bosco was a little scared but ended up licking the vet's face by the end of it. :) Then my brother and his girlfriend stopped by and he romped and licked on them for a while. Then Karl's co-worker and his wife came over to cook-out. Bosco really warmed up to them too. We have such a friendly puppy!

Bosco slept a lot yesterday during the day. He'd play for about an hour and then sleep for 1 or 2 hours. We finally put him to bed around 10. I went to bed myself at that time, but Karl stayed up for a while. Before Karl went to bed he looked in on Bosco, who was whining a little. He had poo'ed on his piddle pad (good doggie!) but had walked through it (bad doggie!) so Karl had to clean that all up. :)

Then around 4 I woke up and Bosco was crying and crying. We ignored him and were able to drift in and out of sleep but every time we woke up, he was crying. I don't know if he cried ALL night or if it just seemed that way because he was always whining when we woke up. :?:

Anyway, I woke up at 8 this morning and I have never seen such a happy dog! His tail was wagging so hard and he couldn't stop licking me! We are going to try our best to not let him sleep so much during the day so he is more likely to sleep at night.

So far Bosco has been an even better dog than I had hoped for! He is a riot to watch. He loves tug-of-war and chewing on his pigs ear. He plays with his food forever before finally eating it. He tosses it in the air and pounces on it...so funny!

Well that's all for now!
Anna

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ooops ... forgot a couple things I wanted to say!

I bought Bosco a little tiny cow-bell for his collar so we can know where he is. At first it really bugged him so he quickly learned to manuever himself so he can get it in his mouth, and then it wouldn't jingle when he walked. Smart puppy! He has since gotten used to it and I think he even likes making a noise when he walks!

Also, last night Bosco was sound asleep on his back with his little paws sticking straight up. It was such a hoot! He is a funny puppy!

1 - 20 of 230 Posts