Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep a pee pad down at all times inside but I'm I really want Milo to go outside for the toilet so have been taking him outside. I'm still having quite a few accidents inside. How long does it take? Also am I confusing his having a pad inside? Do you think I should take it up and concentrate on taking him out all the time. I've read that chihuahuas are the hardest dogs to house break x

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well I got my puppy and she is 12 weeks and I git her straight from the breeder and somehow she is already potty trained to go outside. It's great! But obviously that dowsn answer your question sorry :D

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I think AnnHelen has hit the nail on the head, you need to make sure you take him out really frequently. Most small dogs prefer to toilet indoors, as it isn't cold/wet unpleasant for them, so make sure you praise him every time he toilets outside

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I used to put my p/p near a door,so when they went towards the p/p pick them up quickly and take them outside,then i got rid of the p/p so now Lily will always sit by the door if she wants to go out.Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our little Koko is 11 weeks old and he goes potty outside most of the time. You have to take him out about every hour. He uses the p/p sometimes. We were really surprised that he got use to outside so fast. Yes, we have accidents inside but sometimes but it's because we didn't read the signs. You just have to take a puppy outside a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My Molly struggles with outdoor wees, we live in a flat in a busy city area so that doesn't help as she's very fearful of anything outside. She will only wee outside on grass but there is no grass near us! I have an indoor doggy toilet for home and will eventually migrate it to the balcony when she's more confident with being outside, she also wees REALLY frequently. I'm hoping she'll get there with practise and perseverance and the confidence that comes with age. Good luck, I know how hard it is x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, just to keep u updated, Milo is now trained to go for a wee outside and he will sit nxt to the backdoor but for no 2 he's got a problem. He goes outside comes in and does it on the puppy pad but not sure if it's because our garden is all concrete. It's better than finding little accidents round the house though xx

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Poos are usually easier because you and the puppy have more warning. Firstly, are you feeding on a schedule? If so you should be able to work out exactly when he will need to poo. Take him outside, and don't come in until he has been. It might be easier to take him for a short walk, especially if he prefers grass to concrete.
If you see him start to squat or circle inside, scoop him up immediately and take him outside. Praise him when he finishes outside. If he really hates the concrete, look at getting a tray of earth, or some astro turf or something that he is more comfortable using.
Keep working at it, consistency is the key.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did the two hour interval method with George. When he was a baby and I was ready to seriously train him to go outside, I brought treats and treated after he went. But the rest looked like this: I took him out on leash every two hours and repeated "go teetee" over and over until he did it, then I treated and praised like crazy. Right after that I'd stand and start saying "go poopoo" over and over and when he did, I'd treat and praise like crazy then go right inside. Because he needed to know that we were out there for a reason, I'd give him a few minutes to find a spot and decide to go. If he tried to play when we went out, I'd ignore him or turn away for a second and go back to the verbal cue. By watching him, I could tell if he were really going to go or if he were just going to sniff around and try to play. If that was the case, I'd bring him back in and keep him tethered to me on a 4-5ft leash so he couldn't go far and couldn't/wouldn't go where he was standing. If I couldn't do that in that moment, I'd kennel him until I could, usually not more than thirty minutes. The kennel was never punishment though, just a tool to help us succeed.

Now, he goes on the cues "go teetee" and "go poopoo". The trick is to get them to associate the cue with the action. Now that he's older and more reliable, if he looks at me like I'm stupid, I know he doesn't really need to go. And there's no more tethering, it's just not needed. I do like it as a training aid b/c most dogs like to sneak off down the hall to poop. The tether keeps them in view all the time.

I found the two hour intervals to be the most successful. More so than just trying to watch them for signs of needing to go. If they have that many opportunities there's less chance of having an accident. I think some dogs/pups learn that if they tee in the house they get to go outside as a reward, lol!

And thirty minutes after meals (or shorter if they have accidents before 30 min), and after ~20 minutes of active play like running or lots of jumping up and down.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Sounds like you've done well in a month! Time usually fixes a majority of our dilemmas!

Be sure you are giving him enough time to poop outside. I brought treats out with me and as soon as he pooped, he got a mini celebration with a treat!

Angel is 3 years old and I use both pee pads and outside! I keep the pee pad upstairs and when I see him heading up, I ask wanna go out? And he runs back down and to the door! But he, too, prefers to poop on the pad!:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts