Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yes, I stayed up & watched it. Its discusting the BS Petland fills its customers about only getting their puppies from the best certified breeders. **gag** Then they take a breeder name from one of the puppies certificates & goes to visit the huge puppy mill with SO many penned dogs just so obviously unhappy & stir crazy.

It amazes me how much all the different puppy mills work together to protect one another...and how the investigater basically got in ased on him saying he was breeding dogs himself.

Good grief...I just hope they can use the evidence to prosecute appropriately. I also hope a lot of unsuspecting people watched & won't buy from them. Education about the situation is key so hopefully it helped to spread the word more!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sorry for the typos - my phone isn't letting me go back & edit. That is supposed to be *based & not "ased". LOL

Also the breeder on the certificate IS the "breeder" at the hige puppy mill. I also loved how the one employee of Petland was saying how bad puppy mills are, etc. Petland is fooling its employees & all. So sad...

·
Registered
544 Posts
The whole situation is disgusting. What totally frustrates me is the denial people are liviing in when they purchase from pet stores that sell animals. Americans have a "gotta have it now" philosophy yet are the first to jump on the band wagon to prosecute businesses like this. If they would think before they dropped their money on the table, they would already know where the pups are coming from. How ridiculous is it to believe that reputable breeders of any type sell puppies through a pet store? For God's sake, they have to know they are coming from puppymills....they just chose to deny it to themselves...until they have a problem with their puppy. They are told they are USDA inspected "breeders" Well, duh, that means they are commerical puppy producers...ergo a puppymill. No one, not one single one, who is an ethical, reputable breeder sells through pet stores or flea markets or any other "business" type of entity where they aren't personally screening the homes. If you can walk in, pay money, and walk out with a dog/cat, it's from a puppy mill or back yard breeder. This is not the first time documentaries such as this have been on TV. They have been in the news for years. Yet when they see one after they've purchased a sickly dog, they claim to be sickened and appalled by such conditions. Yet people support them every single time they continue to purchase from these pet stores. Why are there so many pet stores selling dogs/cats? Because people continue to buy them. It's supply and demand. As long as people demand instant gratification where they can decide at 7:30PM to buy a Chi, walk into a store at 8:00PM with credit card in hand, and walk out with a puppy by 8:15PM, there's gonna be these types of commerical breeders across our countryside. None of these people are considering how the puppy came to be there and how the parents of the dogs are living. It just makes me sick. :foxes15::foxes15:

OK, OK, I'm done ranting. It's just so frustrating that we've been trying to educate people (over 20 years that I've been involved) seems like forever and they don't seem to be listening.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
OK, OK, I'm done ranting. It's just so frustrating that we've been trying to educate people (over 20 years that I've been involved) seems like forever and they don't seem to be listening.
It is working - just not as quickly as it needs to in order to stop it from happening so these places can be shut down immediately. There was a time when I thought buying a dog from a pet store was OK. I was young but I was under the assumption that because the dogs in pet stores had a heafty price tag - they had to be a really great & well bred dog! Otherwise why did they cost so much, right? (that was my uneducated thinking at the time) Luckily I never did buy a pet store puppy. Did buy a cat once though & if I remember correctly it wasn't the healthiest thing when we brought her home. (shocker there)

But if it wasn't for me finally wanting to do EVERYTHING right when picking out a dog a few years ago (since we had been so unsuccessful with labs in the past) I did everything from breed research, dog nutrition research, behavioral research, breeder researching, etc. That is when & ONLY when I found out about puppy mills & soon after their affiliation with pet stores. If it wasn't for boards like this & people like you, I may still be under the false impression that pet store dogs were nice healthy dogs. As embarrassing as it is, I was naive. Plain & simple. I am also gulible & would probably have believed some of the BS the pet stores say about their pups & where they come from. So...it is working! Slowly but surely people are learning.

So I now try to educate people who are equally as naive as I was in all aspects of dog ownership that we here take for granted as dog owner "common sense". I get reminded often from my hubby that "that was me not long ago" & he is right so I try to be patient. But I totally get how frustrated you are when their are so many dogs out there suffering both in puppy mills & the ones in shelters who are being overlooked because it's more "appealing" to go to a pet store & buy a new puppy rather than a shelter to adopt a homeless dog.

·
Registered
342 Posts
We rescued jordan from that situation. Let me be clear, we did not get him from a pet store, but he started his life in one. He came from missouri, he was originally in a pet store, but once the pet store found out he had an umbilical hernia and they couldn't sell him, they got rid of him. We found him on petfinder and rescued him. It makes me sick to think of how he came about and all the dogs that are still suffering.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I hate puppy mills. There are a ton in the midwest. Many of them in Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas. Now they are into the "designer" breeds which also makes me sick! If you want a mixed breed, go get one from a shelter!!

One thing that really bugged me on the Animal Planet show was them saying that the pet stores need to stop buying from puppy mills and only buy from reputable small breeders. Well, WHAT BREEDER of any ethics at all is going to sell to a pet store? NONE.

Pet stores that sell dogs need to be shut down. Period. That's the only way to put a dent in the pocketbook of the people that own them. However, as long as people think it's OK to go get a dog at a pet store, they will continue to sell them. Supply and demand.

Think of the profit for the petstore! They get a puppy for a couple hundred or less and they sell it for $1500! And they are selling LOTS of puppies. Even when they discount their pups when they get a little older and put them on clearance, you can't walk out of Petland with a puppy for less than $600. That's still triple their investment.

The whole thing makes me ill.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
We had a similar programme over here a couple of years back and it outraged everyone... Yet there are still puppies being sold in pet shops.. It tends to be the small privately owned ones here rather than large franchises.

We have a local v v small privately owned pet shop that regularly sells puppies.. they have sc and lc chi's in there at the moment i haven't been in because i think i'll end up breaking the dogs out or knocking the owner out!! A lady i met a couple of weeks ago went in there to question the owner as to where they came from and he said they were from a 'friend' who is a breeder nad he's selling them for her. She went into the conditions they're held in (its not clean, it stinks and they're couped up in Cages all day)and he said nothing.. she then asked if the 'friend' was based in Wales (most our puppy mills were in Wales) he didn't answer.. i dont know how these people can live with themselves knowing exactly what these poor dogs and their parents are going through just to make a few extra quid.

I wanna lock the skanks up in a cage and let them live in their own excrement in the dark day and night with next to nothing to eat.. DISGUSTING

1 - 8 of 8 Posts