Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before getting Haru or even seriously looking into a dog, I was always a big dog person. I still am. But as my first experience with small dogs, man do you fall in love with them. I've been starting several threads worrying and fussing over little Haru's behaviour, but I seem to have calmed down from that a little bit. I realize that Haru is a companion dog, and aside from house training, and simple commands, I probably won't be expecting great things for her. Not that I doubt her ability to learn, I just rather her on my bed instead of attending to how well she can do her fancy tricks. Probably because in a short time we will be adding a second dog to the family, an older larger dog. No puppies for me again until I get a bigger place :p

I would never imagine myself a chihuahua. How bout you guys? :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't have my little furbaby or babies yet, so I feel more like I will never get one just because it feels like it will be forever until I do get mine. I've always known that I would one day have one or two Chi's of my own. I grew up with my Grandma's two Chi's and have been hooked ever since. I absolutely love this breed!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I was exactly the same as you, the smallest dog I had owned before was a Jack Russel, and he was a very challenging dog, with a lot of issues. I always wanted a Great Dane, and love Wolfhounds, Greyhounds, Deerhounds, Pointers, Dobermanns, Rottweilers, Malamutes, Dalmatians, always the big breeds. When I worked in kennels (both boarding and rescue) I always bonded with the big dogs most easily, and was only ever bitten by toy breeds.
I did work for a Papillon breeder, and thought they were lovely, so assumed if I ever got a little dog it would be a Papillon.
Now I can't see myself with anything other than Chihuahua's, they have completely won me over :D It was my daughter who wanted one originally, I'm so glad now.
Don't underestimate your Chi. They may be small, but they are super smart. Harley is a show off, he loves to learn new stuff. Bambi not so much, she is more independant. Lots of people do Agility with their Chi's, we took both ours to Obedience classes, and they were very good at it. Little Gemma is only 4 months old and can already do 'High Five' and 'Speak'!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Although I do like small dogs, I never thought I'd have a chi. I had a bad experience when I was a child that pushed me away from them. I met Cricket through my neighbor, and fell in love with her. She was always so sweet, and loving. Giving kisses away. So I nagged the neighbor until she let me have her. Glad I did, as I knew they weren't treating her well at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When my pomeranian passed away, I thought I didn't even want another dog. A coworker talked me in to going and looking at some Chi puppies. I had never been around a Chihuahua even and never thought I would get one. Now I can't imagine having anything else!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have always always wanted a chi, and only after pestering my boyfriend non stop he bought me Princess! I just think chi's are so cute and adorable, people often ask me does Princess have a personality because they are shocked by how small she is, but she definately does! She is a little rascal but so loveable!!

Once i get a place of my own I am definately going to get another chi for Princess to play with :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The first post I wrote here was titled Never say Never. Thats because I used to say I would never get a chihuahua. Just looking at them gave me the heebee jeebies. I thought they were yappy and demanding and no fun at all. I guess it was because I had a very large dog and thought that a chihauahua was nothing. Then this girl was given to us and I can see how wrong I was.

I wish I could have more! They are very hard to get here and too expensive. This dog has become the love of our life!

I dont know why you say you dont expect great things from Haru, maybe her small size makes you think that but you would be surprised of the intelligence that the tiny little brain has. I am expecting to see alot of great things from my little one..I dont mean fancy tricks.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My family has always been a mutt-dog type of family. When they wanted a dog, they'd get a pup from someone giving pups away. It wasn't until I moved to TN & brought my first mutt-dog with me. He was an inside dog up until the move, then he wanted to run. At 12, he had to be pts because of arthritis. I didn't want no more outside dogs because TN is harsh on outside dogs with all the bugs & weather. I wanted a small dog that I could easily take everywhere with me. That Taco Bell commercial had just come out with the Chi with the big ears. I thought he was ugly but yet I was intrigued & started looking at Chis. I had seen a solid white one that was beyond adorable & decided that's what I wanted. My dad & brother bought me one for my B-day 13 years ago & I've never looked back! Lol

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I am a "maltese" person.....LOVE my maltese to pieces!!! But while I was trying to groom Ava for a show, my friend would be playing with her Long coat chihuahua!!!!!!! :foxes15: no fair!!

It seems to me that the maltese are a bit more laid back and are lap dogs where the chihuahuas are a bit more independent and are natural clowns.

Eventually I wanted my own chi - had a picture of her in my mind too :toothy8: Well I never found the one with the exact coloring I had wanted, but Mona Lisa's face caught my eye. She's so different looking from the malts...and she is a clown :laughing6: Then when the breeder decided to adopt out her mother....I got her too.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Nope I grew up hating Chis after my grandma's tried to eat me my entire childhood and working at a Vet clinic your small dogs were awful! I would rather see a pitt bull walk in the door than a small dog. The chis at our tailgate won me over and now I have 2

·
Registered
74 Posts
No never. My husband always wanted a dog, a German shepherd for security really. 2 years later I let him talk me into it and we got max a huge gentle giant who is a rubbish guard dog!! Then 2 years later I decided I wanted a pug as I have always loved them, I went to a dog behaviourist for help as I didn't want to end up having to rehome the new one due to fighting etc. she recommended a pug cross as a pig wouldn't be able to keep up with the walks we tale max on. We got a jug- pug cross jack russel, he's the coolest dog ever and thinks he's a person!! I don't know why but after a week of talking about it to my husband I just went a got a chi!! It's so not like me to make a quick decision especially as big as this, but is was the best thing I've ever done since getting my jug! They absolutely love each other. Because these amazing little creatures are so small they are no trouble so would totally get another!! My chi, rupert is 10 weeks and is such a cuddly funny thing!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts