Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fella Chi. Lovers ((pmum waving, petey wagging tail))
I posted a Thread concerning getting Petey soon to get his Rabies vaccine.
But,,,
Did you know... That they claim ONE Rabies vaccine is good
for the life of the dog. That repeated rabies vaccine is NOT needed,
or even recommended by some. And that there is NO difference
between the one year- and three year rabies vaccine!!!!

Also,,, Did you know...
Yearly vaccines is also NOT needed or even recommended by
some. Give the dog all its Puppy vaccines and then I think it was
one more vaccine at one Year old-Done,,, good for the life of the dog.
That actually, getting your dog its vaccines yearly can even cause
early death, health problems, break down/comprimise there immunity.

Also,,, Did you know...
Heartworm testing is BOGUS!! This and more is just a way Vets
get more of our $$$ at the cost of our pets lives. :-(
Really Sad... Many are claiming the heart worm test your animal
has to get before you can get the heartworm pills is all bogus,
because if the pet would get heartworms, they treat heartworms
with the same med. your giving it monthly to keep it from getting
heartworms in the first place. NOt saying giving monthly
preventitive heartworm pills is bogus. Noooo.. they need that.
Just the heartworm test is bogus...

I do NOT vaccinate yearly and he will only get One Rabies vaccine.
I have heard things about this, and tryed to do some home
work on it. There is a Website called, ((I think it was...))
The Old Country Vet. Or close to that... and he has exposed alot
of stuff on the veternary feild.

But anyway,,, Look up The Old Country Vet Website.
It is Very interesting/informative. I think there may even
be a few of his video's on YouTube.

Just thought I would pass some of this info. along...
I know at first it may sound cRaZy,,, but I feel there is some
thing to it all.
Blessings... ((waving))...

Any Feedback from anyone???

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Even one Rabies shot IMO is too many (and I work for a Vet lol), Ziva my min pin had 2 puppy shots before I got her and isn't having any additional shots. I have seen/heard what vaccinosis can do to dogs and I don't want her to have to go through that, as well as she has an immune issue going on right now with her skin and I don't want to tax her system further with shots, I believe her shots is what actually triggered her problem, as one of her sores is at the location of a shot injection. Zoey hasn't had any shot since she was 1 year old (she's 5 now), I do run titers on her as she's immune compromised and surprisingly enough her titer levels are still high. I do have a Medical Exemption Sheet for her Rabies so I can get her licensed.

Heartworm Testing I do agree with, it's not just something to play with, Heartworm can be deadly, so I don't mess around with that. I do only give Heartworm prevention ever 45 days (instead of 30) and I use Interceptor for that. I use just plain old injectable ivermectin orally for my big dog & my cats though, MUCH MUCH cheaper and more accurate dosing for her weight.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Nah, you're not crazy. You are just getting more educated. Good for you. It is always good to do research and not just believe everything you hear. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

I agree with minimal vaccinations. Duration of immunity studies are showing a minimum of 7 years of protection and probably longer. (Longer studies pending).

I also do heartworm tabs every 45 days instead of every 30. (And only during the summer months). Did you know that heartworm 'preventative' is NOT preventing anything? The heartworm medication only kills the larvae that are circulating in your pets blood if they have been infected by a heartworm carrying mosquito. It doesn't prevent anything at all. It is actually a treatment. It kills the larvae before they turn into worms and move from the circulation and settle into the heart to grow into adults.

Now here's a question for you pmum since you seem interested in learning about more natural and holistic ways to care for your dogs .... what are you feeding? ;)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I posted a thread, or in a thread a few years back about the Heartworm scam. But I can't find it. Anyway, I was on another board a long while back, and had a Vet that didn't like my info. at all. :lol: In fact, it turned into a many page debate. :lol: Quite comical, I thought. Always do your research. There are so many “myths” out there it's unreal. I do give heartworm meds once every 45 days, because HW's are nothing to mess around with. And most Vets require HW testing each year to prescribe the meds. So if you are getting your meds from your Vet, there isn't much way around the testing. Plus, people "give" their dogs the meds, but never really know if they actually swallowed it. The testing can be beneficial in those cases. As for vaccines, I totally agree with minimal vaccination. Lexie almost died from a reaction to her second puppy series. I immediately started researching, and all these vaccines are not needed. But you won't find many Vets that will actually tell you all these things, this is their livelihood. So it's always best to look into it yourself. I would never give any kind of treatment, meds, testing, surgery, etc. without being fully armed with knowledge behind it.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Also to add: We do half doses of every vaccine they have ever been given. Including Rabies. We do not do Lepto or Corona. It's law here to get Rabies, so we can't get around it. If you don't have it, and say you take your pup to the Vet. If the dog even nips the Vet or techs, they can make you surrender your dog to be put down. None of mine have ever even come close to snarling at anyone, but it's a risk you take. I could never see mine nipping, but I would never forgive myself if it did happen for some reason.

Many Vets won't do half doses on Rabies. Especially in areas where it is law to give it. They don't want the liability. But my Vet made the exception, so I was lucky there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Feeding...

HI BRODYSMOM: ((Waving, tail wagging))
I feed my lil' guy Innova. Pretty decent dog food.
I've done Many, Many hours of reading/researching dog foods.
Yes, indeed, I am into the holistic/natural way of doing things
as much as poss.

My pic. of dog food would prob. be Orijen.
As it has 3-4 Meat protein up front/center.
Good ingredients through out with no nastys in it,
but my lil' guy is only 7 lbs. and
kind of a couch potato, so he cannot handle all that
high protein.

My next pic. would be a good homemade diet.
I did this for a while, it had alot of ingredients so it
got costly, can't do no more. Sometimes I will do a short
version of it for him to give a break from the dogfood.
Blessing....
Have a GREAT day...
Thanks for the reply... and Everyone.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
HI BRODYSMOM: ((Waving, tail wagging))
I feed my lil' guy Innova. Pretty decent dog food.
I've done Many, Many hours of reading/researching dog foods.
Yes, indeed, I am into the holistic/natural way of doing things
as much as poss.

My pic. of dog food would prob. be Orijen.
As it has 3-4 Meat protein up front/center.
Good ingredients through out with no nastys in it,
but my lil' guy is only 7 lbs. and
kind of a couch potato, so he cannot handle all that
high protein.

My next pic. would be a good homemade diet.
I did this for a while, it had alot of ingredients so it
got costly, can't do no more. Sometimes I will do a short
version of it for him to give a break from the dogfood.
Blessing....
Have a GREAT day...
Thanks for the reply... and Everyone.
Did you know Innova was bought out by Proctor & Gamble (Iams/Eukanuba) and after the 1st of the year (they had to put it in a contract so they wouldn't change it immediately) they are free to change ingredients etc? Just making sure you are aware of that, I used to strongly recommend Innova before that happened. I've already heard problems with their foods causing diarrhea etc since the take over. I personally feed Prey Model Raw and have for 4 months and couldn't be happier. It's a piece of cake to prepare too. Zoey has done marvelous on it. No more itchies with Zoey. She also is regrowing white hair on her front legs whereas before it was stained brown from all her licky louing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TLI...

Hi TLI ((waving,, tail wagging))
Now see, I just learned something... LOL.. :)
I didn't know to ask for half doses of rabies vaccine.
I don't know if my vet would be willing to do a half dose,
((almost doubt it.. but not sure till I ask)) and defen.
worth asking. I think it would sure put me at more ease,
long as it covers him completly.
Would the half dose protect well????

Mainly since mine never got his yet, its been a chore at times
not letting folks pet him. Everyone seems to want to pet a small
dog, you know how it goes... LOL.. Mine can be a snipper at times.

Thanks for your thread, very informative!!! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cprcheetah

CPRCHEETAH...
OHHHHH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! NO I DID NOT KNOW THAT...:foxes15:
Well thats just real great... Maybe thats why I've been feeling
drawn to put mine on a diff. dog food!! :confused::confused:
May send you a PM little later on today...
THANK YOU...
Blessings.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey my chihuahua has only had 1/2 doses of the vaccines she has had, her puppy shots, 1st rabies shot, and the rabies & adult shots she got at 1 year, her vaccine titers are all in the normal-high ranges as of February of this year so I'd say the 1/2 doses protect. Honestly (I work for a vet) and they only need 1 drop of the serum for it to work, they just put 1 cc in there because dogs wiggle, etc to make sure they get some.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
CPRCHEETAH...
OHHHHH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! NO I DID NOT KNOW THAT...:foxes15:
Well thats just real great... Maybe thats why I've been feeling
drawn to put mine on a diff. dog food!! :confused::confused:
May send you a PM little later on today...
THANK YOU...
Blessings.
Yes it happen in June (I think) http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/ar...or--gamble-purchases-natura-pet-products.html There was a whole thing on how P&G was committed to not changing it, I remember when they bought out Iams and it wasn't even a month or two afterwards they started cheapening things so they could mass produce in the grocery stores.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OKAY,,, Thanks for telling me that too.
Now, to find a vet to do half doses. LOL...

Right now I'm just so aggravated at Innova dogfood getting
sold out to Procter/Gamble cause it will not be worth a crap
now.... Did EVO (period) sell out to that company???
I would think it did since they were the ones that did Innova too.
Blessings.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it wasn't even a month or two afterwards they started cheapening things so they could mass produce in the grocery stores.
EXACTLY!!! :-( How Sad. I knew it wasn't the persay Best of the
Best dogfood, but I knew it was decent/good and felt okay feeding
it to mine. Execpt for past few months, I've been noticing Petey
scratching/itching alot, when he didn't use to in the past. I thought
maybe something going on with Innova and thought I'd try to find
something else decent to put him on. Now, I guess I have no choice...
((pmum crying up a storm... LOL...))

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Hi TLI ((waving,, tail wagging))
Now see, I just learned something... LOL.. :)
I didn't know to ask for half doses of rabies vaccine.
I don't know if my vet would be willing to do a half dose,
((almost doubt it.. but not sure till I ask)) and defen.
worth asking. I think it would sure put me at more ease,
long as it covers him completly.
Would the half dose protect well????

Mainly since mine never got his yet, its been a chore at times
not letting folks pet him. Everyone seems to want to pet a small
dog, you know how it goes... LOL.. Mine can be a snipper at times.

Thanks for your thread, very informative!!! :)
It can't hurt to ask. :) They will probably agree to giving half doses of the core shots, not sure about Rabies. Some (many) Vets are fairly adamant that they don't want the liability (on Rabies). But yes, the half doses are plenty adequate. A whole dose is what they give a Great Dane. I'm not sure why they aren't dosed according to weight, anyway. My Vet agrees that it is a major overkill for a tiny dog, so gives me no argument. In fact, he won't do it any other way for such a small pup. If you get a chance, read up on Dr. Dodd’s vaccine protocol. That will put you in the right direction.

I would strongly suggest not letting anyone pet your pup without the vaccine. If he nips, you can be in a whole heap of trouble without it.

You're very welcome, by the way. I enjoy helping where I can. :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
EVO is part of the outsource as well. Wellness however, isn't. There are some other good foods out there as well. ZiwiPeak, The Honest Kitchen..... Check out some of the food threads around the boards. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would strongly suggest not letting anyone pet your pup without the vaccine. If he nips, you can be in a whole heap of trouble without it.
I Agree!!! Thank you,,, Thank all of you for the informative info.
I'm off,,, back to the drawing board again with dogfood. grrr... lol...

Anyone feed Merrick dog foods with luck??

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Scary stuff out there...it's great you're researching & finding out about things! I know there are SO many things that have been a huge eye opener for me. It's amazing what you can find out when you go look for it!

As for food--we fed EVO for about a year until this past spring & we switched to feeding prey model raw. We tried out ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen since switching but I prefer the prey model raw. We do still add either/or in on occasion for something different though. ZiwiPeak (IMO) is the best prepackaged dog food out there. It's a bit pricey but for an average sized Chi it would only cost approx $25 every 5-6 weeks. The Honest Kitchen is another great dehydrated raw food. Both of these foods are SO gentle on their systems--out of my six nobody had any GI issues when switching "cold turkey". We have a "house guest" Chi here for a week or so & I've been feeding him ZiwiPeak & even his poo's have been perfect since eating the ZiwiPeak. Love how their systems recognize what they are eating as appropriate & digets perfectly w/o issue.

Anyway I've also done an exhausting amount of research about doggy nutrition the past few years & those are my top pics. I don't generally like kibble but if someone was wanting to stay that route I really like Taste of the Wild. But the dehydrated raws blow any kibble out of the water IMO. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
How do you go about getting a "medical exemption sheet" for rabies vaccine??
My Vet writes me a letter on his stationary stating

This is to certify that…
In my professional opinion this pet should not be vaccinated for rabies as s/he is not at risk for contracting Rabies, and/or has been adequately vaccinated in the past to protect against Rabies and vaccination would be detrimental to his or her health.

It has all of Zoey's details (breed/age/color/weight etc) his credentials etc on it, if you google Rabies Vaccine Exemption form TONS come up. Dogs who have any type of chronic illness should not have Rabies vaccines (i.e. allergies etc)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts