Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I am totally screwing up Bella's diet. Her previous owners had her on Purina Puppy Chow, so obviously I'm feeding her that now. I can wean her off it it at some point. I just bought some treats yesterday, but just realized they have wheat flour in them, and that's not okay for her right?

Thank goodness I found this site! I have been looking at the raw diets, and it seems like it would be good for her.

I asked someone at Petsmart what food I should feed her, and she recommended some food titled Chihuahua Puppy, then Chihuahua Adult.

I just want what's best for her. Right now she eats about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the Puppy Chow softened. She is a lil fluffier, she was one of the thicker ones out of her litter, and everyone who sees her says she has a tummy on her. She also seems like she has the hiccups once in awhile. I have noticed her having them twice since I got her 5 days ago. What causes that?

I'm in Oregon. Can someone help me figure out what's best to feed her?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hey, I would get her off the Purina Puppy Chow ASAP. It's a terrible food full of lots of fillers. As a general rule of thumb you want to stay away from foods containing corn, wheat, soy, "meat" as an unnamed animal ingredient.

Http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com rates foods from 1-6 stars. You want at LEAST a 4 star food for your pup, I generally recommend at least 5 stars. You can compare and read more about the Purina Puppy Chow on there as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
a lot of foods you find in grocery stores are really not good for your dog. look for grain-free and do not let people in the store sway you. Most of those people do not know what to look for in a good dog food. Science Diet and Eukanuba both have tons of ground corn, a huge allergen for dogs.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The absolute best of the best dried food is Ziwipeak. Stella and Chewy's comes in second, followed by The Honest Kitchen Embark or Thrive for your pup. These are all dehydrated or frozen raw foods. The best kibbled food out there is Orijen followed by Fromm and Acana. Those are the only privately owned and manufactured kibbles and the only ones I'd feed as they are considered much safer from things like recalls :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
100% agree with Kristi. You also may want to check your local area & see if there are any pet speciality stores nearby. As a rule there typically aren't any premium foods in grocery stores or big box stores (Walmart, Petsmart, Petco, etc). They do however have some decent foods at Tractor Supply. But definitely check the website Kristi posted or also Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings. This one also contains the dehydrated raw foods which I HIGHLY recommend such as ZiwiPeak, The Honest Kitchen (Thrive & Embark are suited for puppies), Stella & Chewy's, etc.

But it would definitely be in your and your pups best interest to get her off of the Purina asap! Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How long do you think a 2.2 $20 lb bag of ZiwiPeak would last her? I also got her some Canine Carry Out chicken and beef treats for her last night. I am assuming those are really not good for her, right? Any recommendations for a good treat for her? I will definately try to get her on something else soon.

What am I supposed to do with the rest of the Purina, I prolly have at least 7 lbs left. And the treats?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My local shelter was very happy to take food that either we moved away from as well as food and medications for our boy who crossed the rainbow bridge.

My pet store also takes back food and treats that do not work out for her.

For now I have her on Orijen puppy which (depending on site you go to) is a 5-6 star kibble. My girl has had some tummy trouble so for now we are sticking to that and will supplement with Stella and Chewy's later.

I also feed grain free treats. I can get those at even a pet chain store and the ones that she prefers are really not expensive at all.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I would estimate that you'd be buying a new bag of ZP every 6 weeks or so...perhaps longer. It also depends on your pups weight & what their activity level is. You're supposed to follow the serving they recommend on the back based on weight & for pups you double it. But to feed my six adult Chihuahua's one 2.2lb bag lasts them about 7 days. It may be more expensive to feed ZP but I also agree it's the absolute best food out there short of feeding raw. (ZP is dehydrated raw & consists of only meat, organ, vitamins & minerals) Anyway...good luck! :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won't be able to buy the ZiwiPeak until later this week. Will she be okay on the Purina until then? Or is there anything a lil cheaper at my local Petsmart or Petco that is better for her?

Are these treats a big no no? I got her the chicken and beef.

I also have a pack of frozen drumsticks that I need to use. Is there anything I can do with those for her?

She already seems a lil thicker, so I don't want to make her overweight at all.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
the more expensive food everyone is mentioning (ziwi) actually works out cheaper in the long run. you feed less and your chi will be much much much more healthy, so hopefully less vet visits

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Thicker or a fat puppy?? I saw she was 2lb at 7 weeks that's quite big but she could just be a bigger chi?

Ziwi is fab I feed raw but use ziwi for lazy day! Id you're going to feed ziwi and arent adverse to raw meat give her 1/2 of a chicken wing per meal
Until your ziwi arrives :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I won't be able to buy the ZiwiPeak until later this week. Will she be okay on the Purina until then? Or is there anything a lil cheaper at my local Petsmart or Petco that is better for her?

Are these treats a big no no? I got her the chicken and beef.

I also have a pack of frozen drumsticks that I need to use. Is there anything I can do with those for her?

She already seems a lil thicker, so I don't want to make her overweight at all.
I personally wouldn't feed Purina, but that is just me. Just about anything you could buy at petsmart or petco would be better. If I had to pick a food from there I'd probably do Wellness (as Kristi suggested).

Those treats should be thrown in the trash. Just my opinion! But read the ingredients!

Canine Carry Outs Grilled Chick'n Strips Chewy Snacks for Dogs
7 oz. - Chicken
SKU: 847798
Wheat flour, water, chicken, soybean meal, propylene glycol, pregelatinized wheat flour, animal fat (BHA used as a preservative), egg product, natural smoke flavor, salt, titanium dioxide, phosphoric acid, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative).

That's like feeding a human infant coke in their bottle with a greasy cheeseburger on the side. It's just junk food of the worst kind. Of course they will like the taste! But it's terrible for them. Wellness carries a line of treats that are decent. You can even buy the cat formula as it's in teensy tiny meat squares that would be perfect for a 2 pound puppy.

If you want to commit to feeding raw, you could probably start her out on drumsticks, but I recommend you do a lot of reading/research and don't just dive into it without doing some reading. The chicken has to be unenhanced so read the label. It must not be more than 100mg of sodium per 4 ounces. A LOT of grocery store chicken is enhanced with a salt solution. A 2 pound puppy would only be eating about an ounce or two a day so you need to know what you are doing.

I'm glad you are here and learning about better ways to feed your puppy! :hello1:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here are some pics I just took of her. Is she fat or just a big puppy?

Thanks for your help everyone. The drumsticks are all natural, no preservatives. How much do I give her? An ounce the whole day? No puppy food? I really don't cook it at all, just tear off some meat? Do I split it up through the day? I will definitely go do some research on feeding raw now..

I think I will order some Ziwi online now. It will take a lil while to get here tho I'm sure. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy it? Or somewhere with free shipping?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So no one answered in time. My friend/neighbor's sister was over at her house and she had fed her previous dog a raw type diet, of chicken and rice and stuff. She said to cook the drum sticks. So I did. After researching more, I see that you shouldn't? Am I supposed to give her the skin and stuff? I did, because she said puppies needed it. Bella devoured it like crazy. After I got all of the loose bones and cartilage off of the drum stick I let her chew on it, and I got some pretty cute pics.. :) But she loved it.

I did some research, and I do have a Sebastian's Healthy Pet Food store. It has these products. Would any of those be better/cheaper for a raw diet then Ziwi? That way I wouldn't have to purchase online.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
No definitely don't cook it! The bones splinter and can kill them.

YOu feed them the drumstick, bone and all, completely raw. They eat the bone, chicken bones that are raw are pretty soft.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha.. too late it's already cooked! Guess I should never listen to my neighbor and her sis anymore. I figured a raw diet meant RAW meats, but they swore it should be cooked, and no one was answering here and Bella was hungry cuz I took her Purina away.

I didn't think her teeth were strong enough to bite any bone off, cooked or uncooked, so I didn't think it'd splinter. You think she'll be okay? I won't give her any of the other chicken leg bones.

I thought she was big for just 7 weeks being 2 lbs already, assuming the scale I weighed her on was correct. She'll prolly be a bigger Chi then huh? I just wish I knew what she'll look like full grown! I'd say I can't wait, but I almost wish she'd stay this small forever.. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think 7-9 lbs is a safe estimate. I would keep that cooked bone away from her too. They definitely have strong enough teeth and jaws to cause themselves some real damage with cooked bones but hopefully she didn't get that far. You have to feed her something til you can get the other food, if its the purina for 4 or 5 more days, its not gonna kill her hun.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts