Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
When i was in Hong Kong many moons ago,they had one that you could buy over the counter at the chemist ( cant remember name), i was really ill and swore i would never take them again.Years later back in UK it came up on the news as one among many that was dangerous to take! I wouldnt take any now!

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I think they can work but you still have to control yourself. I usually don't overeat because I'm hungry I do it because I'm bored & a pill can't control that. I personally can't take diet pills they hurt my stomach bad & I get really sick feeling. So if caffeine bothers you then the pills will really bother you.

·
Banned
881 Posts
I take them they work ok but are very addicting and wel the 1st few weeks i was running around like A crack head couldnt sit still but i take 1s with hoodia which doctors claim are safe

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Kristin, once you quit taking the pills you will gain the weight back, just like if you go off of any diet. Watching what you eat and exercising, is the only sure way to lose weight and keep it off. :wink:

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
I completely agree with you Kari I didn't start dieting until my mid 30's and every since I've gained more weight. I think the worsat thing I did was the low low carb thing because when you start eating carbs you gain more back.The best smartest thing to do is exercise more & eat healthier less fattening foods.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i had a friend once who took some.... she needed to loose X amount of weight before getting a breast reduction(she was bigger than a DDD-it was hard on her back) anyways, the doctor prescribed some diet pills....i think they messed with her hormones somehow..or something!!! she turned into a *ahem* "very mean person" lol... and with these once she couldnt eat certain things or else she would loose control of her rectum..well, being who she was, she didnt listen and crapped her pants VERY badly!!!!i thought it was hilarious..she didnt so much...lol
anyways, my impression of them is BAD, itll make you go CRAZY ;) :tongue5:
the best way is honest hardwork :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks ladies :) I haven't started taking them or anything, I just thought I'd ask if anyone had ever taken them :). I guess it's just a good ol' fashioned diet then :). I'm drinking a lot of green tea which is supposed to speed up metabalism (sp?) and I cut WAY back on soda (my worst addiction ever! lol). I wish it wasn't so cold or I'd walk the dogs and shed the pounds. They can't walk as long as I can though in the cold and I don't like walking alone. pfft.

I

·
0 Posts
well, i am not ashamed to admit i have brought 3 or 4 diff types, none worked.

The ones your friend had when she erm...poopied her pants, probably xenical (also known as orlistat) I am actually taking them ,t hey work like a charm, lost 3 stones in last year, but yes you do loose control the more fat you eat.

You CAN get milder versions of xenical on ebay etc, but they can cause bad side effects , I am monitored closely by my doctors. Trouble is if I miss 4 -5 days I put back on a few pounds, but I just figure i'll worry about then when I've lost the other 6 stones i need to!!!

I eat lots of foods like carrot, banana, rice cakes, rivita mini's etc, anything with a low fat content.
I am allowed 12 grams of fat a meal, max 50 grams a day, and it's hard at first. Some salads even ahve MORE than 12 grams of fat in them!

now tablets that gave me more energy... i could use lol

I buy a lot of ready prepared diet meals, and packets of pasta.

I hope you can do well loosing weight, no matter what it is you want to loose, it isnt easy, and I admire anyone who can do it

I

·
0 Posts
lol
you dont poo yourself if you follow the advice your given, and stick to 12grams or less of fat per meal (and it can be done)

But a lot of people are put off by the possible side effects, but then a lot of people think they can go on eating cakes ice cream etc, and leave the tablets to do the work for them,but they dont work like that.

I have no problems on them at all, I stick to my diet, even though some days I just want to grab the nearest thing that tastes like chocolate!

It is not easy by any means, but I feel worth it for me, I have a high family history of diabetes, heart attacks and strokes. I myself have raised blood pressure as well, so I knew I had to do something and fast or I wouldnt make it to being a healthy 40 year old, and might never live to see 55 / 60

·
Registered
726 Posts
i've wondered about the pills too. after i had my son i developed hypothyroid and i cant' loose anything at all. i just keep getting bigger and bigger. i have to admit i get discouraged easily and sabotage (sp?) myself. when you go weeks being so good, and working out and gain 3 lbs you get MAD and chocolate becomes your best friend again :lol:

I

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem.
With my first son I put on 3 stone while pregnant,a nd after my weight just went up and up and up.
didnt matter what diet i tried.
ThenI found out I was diabetic and have polycystic ovarain thingy.
I fought hard for two years to get help, my docs kept saying you MUST loose weight, but nobody offered help.
I tried weight watchers, slimming wolrd, slim fast, eventually I got these tablets from the doctors and i'm doing fab on them, but I know they arent for everyone.

·
Registered
9,363 Posts
Stephy you need to get your levels in check. Hypothyroidism will not cause you to gain a ton of weight this is a very common myth but if your levels are low it will prevent you from losing weight. I've been on meds since I was about 11 & If I miss a week I cant barely get up off the couch I'm so tired.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i have my levels checked regularly, i take my meds every morning. but a while ago we didn't have health insurance i was unable to get my levels checked. so the doc wouldn't refill my meds. I would have paid out of pocket but, my son was having some health issues and his visits are 400 at least every 8 weeks PLUS his meds.
I can't loose an ounce it seems. When i was diagnosed i had gained weight and had period problems, that is how the doc figured it out. But, since i had to go with out meds and my levels were out of whack i gained. I am still tired, still can't loose anything, but they said my levels were OK a few weeks ago. i dont' believe them. sorry to highjack the thread.

IWAC- what meds are you on for your PCOS? my lil sister has had it since she was about 15 or so. she is on metformin, but we didnt' catch it in time and she too developed diabetes. with the metformin and birth control everything was regulated and she lost a lot of weight. she sees an endocrynologist (sp?). my sis had a hard time. you're lucky you developed it after you had your baby, it is REALLY hard to get pregnant with this condition.

I

·
0 Posts
HI,
i had PCOS BEFORE i got pregnant the second time, but was told it would be hard, took over a year to conceive.

I am not on any meds at all, here in the Uk they are CRAP at treating it, I have read about metformin being used, but I'm not on anything not even for my diabetes. I was on metformin in the past and saw a big improvement, but as my BS levels dropped I was taken off it.

I did try natural remedies for a while, flax seed oil, and a few others, but saw no real benefit from them.

I was sent to my local hospital about 4-5 years ago now, and the stupid woman there told me there is no treatment for it, no cure (which I know) and the only thing that can be done is take pain killers.
When I got home I looked up the consultants email address, emailed him all the info I had found on PCOS, and said perhaps he should educate his doctors on it.

I was told they could try doing a laparotomy I think they said, to "see what's what" but I was too overweight ( and still am) for that, but I did say well if you cant treat it why would you open me up? Even if only keyhole.

So, I Just live with it, and get painkillers when it gets bad, I am pretty much labelled as having it and then ignored. And I cant afford to go private to see if anything can be done. Luckily the pains I get arent so bad these days.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
ive been thinking of trying the Allie but i do worry about the potential side effects. i have almost 100lbs left to go and my metabolism is so slow it might as well be going backwards...

but i have an apointment with a dietician on jan 22nd so im going to see what they say first and try it for 6 months before trying something like Allie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts