Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had Chloe since Monday. She is 11 weeks And weights 3lbs. How much food and water should she consume a day? She has full access to her food and water but I don't think she is consuming enough. Also has anyone heard of offering goat milk to puppies?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
She sounds a good size for her age. Is she scrawny looking ?? What size are the parents ? Is she getting puppy kibble ?? I'd say at that age 4 ( smallish--but as much as she eats) meals a day and tiny training treats (for potty, coming when called, sitting on command, etc)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not see her parents so I am not sure. I don't think she looks scrawny. Yes she is getting royal Caine Chihuahua puppy food. She is only eating and drinking 1/4 cup a day.... just worried it is not enough. She got up this morning after a great night and ate probably 1/2 of the 1/4 cup :)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I would get some nutrical ( or even just some honey) and give that to her 2 or 3 times a day just to make sure her blood sugar stays up in a healthy range. As long as she's eating something 3 or 4 times a day I wouldn't worry too much.

Is that the food she was on before you got her? I would have a really good read of the nutrition thread of this forum. Royal Canin is not a great food, even though it's well marketed and is sold in vets. There are some much better options at all budgets so do a bit of research and educate yourself on what's best for Chloe - it will save you on vet bills and heartache in the future.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Try using these sites to research the best premade foods out there:

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings
Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

I have not got my puppy yet, but when I do, she will either be fed Taste of the Wild or Acana. Likely TOTW since it is available to me from my local pet supplies shop, while Acana I would have to order, and the shipping costs a ton all the way to Sweden.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Is there a specific thread you are suggesting?? There are 23 pages and I am not sure which you are recommending I read. TIA!
Definitely check out the review sites posted by Caitlin above and then the pre-made food section to see people's actual experiences feeding the better foods (for instance Canidae is rated well but it gave my little girl terrible gas so I no longer feed it). Also read the intro to RAW sticky - its not as daunting as it sounds, I feed a mix of raw and ZiwiPeak and my dogs are doing fantastic (full of energy, consistent poops, good teeth, no runny eyes, shiny coats no gas issues etc) . Have a browse through and look at the treats and chews recommended too as some of us (me included) have had issues from giving inappropreate treats or chews.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! Definitly going to try ziwipeak as it is at my local pet store. Now that you mentioned it... Her eyes to tear up.... Hmmm. Should I switch now or wait till we go through the bag I already bought?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Improvement in the tearing was one of the first things I noticed when I changed my dog's diets. Chloe's was particularly bad, now she only tears when she rolls in cut grass (which she loves to do).

I know a few people here (me too) who just switched to ZP cold turkey and their dogs had no ill effects, just tiny firm poops the next day! You can mix 3/4 old to 1/4 new and gradually increase the portion of the new food over a week or so if you wish.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've heard the plain Venison is a good way to start ZP, not as rich as the lamb and lots of dogs don't like the venison and fish one (mine love it though and they eat raw salmon about once a week). Just be sure to give a chicken wing tip a couple of times a week for her dental health and she will be on track to having excellent nutrition.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ozchi.... Thanks for all the guidance! I really appreciate all of you help! Let me ask you 2 more questions.... You mean a raw chicken wing right? And what is the difference between a regular chicken wing and a tip? Second question :) Chloe is 2 lbs 2 oz at 3 months. How much should she be eating in your opinion?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
No worries - some very nice people gave me good advice when I first joined this site so i'm glad to pay it forward.

By wing tip I mean the very end bit of the wing that is generally thrown away because it is all bone and cartilage, no meat. Later on you can give the meaty sections of the wing but since Chloe is still teeny she will probably struggle with getting through those sized bones.

On the feeding quantity there is a good sticky by Karen (Jesuschick) in the pre made food thread . I was feeding too much ZP and my Axle got chubby really quickly!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sorry - that sticky is not under pre-made food, its just under the main diet and nutrition page. I don't think it mentions that for a puppy you need to feed approx double what you work out based on her weight. You can also feed based on her ideal adult weight which you can find out by looking at the chihuahua growth chart (google it or do a forum search for a link). Or maybe see how far off both calculations are and go with the one that is higher since you don't want a growing puppy to go hungry. You can always cut back if she starts to look a bit chubby but that should be a while off, they tend to go through the skinny lanky phase first.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well done Oz, another healthy convert!

I too feed my x 3 the same way OzChi does (thanks to the wonderful advice on here) and both they, and I, couldn't be happier with the results, they are living proof that ZiwiPeak and raw meat together is fantastic!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I just got back from taking Chloe to our vet for her first appt and she has gone from 2lbs 2 oz to 1 lbs 10 oz in a week?!?! They said she looked healthy. She does have a soft trachea but she might out grow it. What's your opinion on the weight loss??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.