Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titus will be five months old on the 22nd he has no issues with separation anxiety an hasn't had any destructive qualities aside from being a sock hoarder. Recently he has been digging at the carpet and my husband thought it was him trying to burrow. Do y'all think this is what it is? We put him in a playpen with his bed, a small blanket, potty pad and water whenever we do leave. So last night I added a larger blanket he could burrow in and put a rug over the carpet to prevent more damage. But is there anything else I could do to deter this?

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
872 Posts
Dogs dig for many reasons... sometimes it is "burrowing" other times it's just fluffing up the area to make it more comfy. If they are too hot or cold, dogs will dig up a fresh spot to lay in and utilize the earth's natural insulation. And there are times when it's just plain fun and energy relieving!

The best thing I've found is to teach him to dig - so that you can teach him not to. Give him a place where it's acceptable (e.g. a blanket or an old towel - but remember that dogs DO sometimes generalize, and he may do this on all blankets and towels from now on) and when he starts digging say "dig" and treat. This will hook the word with the action. When he gets it you can start saying "no dig" so he knows what he is and isn't allowed to dig on.

It's good to give them a place where it's safe to dig as well - a sandbox is great for this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never thought to teach dig that is such a great idea! I've added more fluffy bedding for him to burrow in but I'm going to start teaching him dog too. Thank you so much.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts