Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just called the vet and we go at 3pm, but poor Dillon is straining to poo and it is always soft and long, and this morning he let out a yelp when doing it.
He has done that before and the vet gave me antibitoics, but he is actually on them right now for his ear, cause he hangs his head to the side.
Has done this since i brought him home.
Yet the vet cant find an infection?
Anyway, the vet has never asked for a stool sample to check this, even though i told him about this before.

The vet nurse on the phone said it could be the antibiotics causing it, but am no so sure.
He has never really had good solid poos since he came here.
I feed him Acana, just like the girls.
He was on James wellbeloved weaning puppy when he came to me, cause that what the breeder had him on.
Then i slowly switched him to Burns mini bites.
Still soft poos on that.
I wanted him on a better food so slowly changed him to Acana.
He is still really lively and eats well, but am no sure what to do.

My OH says not to go into the vets and tell the man his job lol but i would think he should want a stool sample since it has been an ongoing thing right?
I really dont know what other food to try if it is the food he is sensative to.
Not got a lot of options here.
Was thinking of trying some plain yoghurt and see if that helps.
Cant get canned pumpkin here either.
Will mention it to the vet anyway about the yoghurt, but if it is the food, then the yoghurt will only help for so long.

Poor wee guy has had issues since he came here, cause i dont think his left ear is right at all, and if the vet keeps saying he sees no discharge in the ear, so keeps giving him antibiotics it isnt doing a thing for it!
He cant really move that ear back like he does with his right either.
Am just woried about him. x

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I would insist on a fecal done on Dillon.
He may have came to you with giardia or
cocicidia if he never had a checkup that
way.Im not sure Id be happy with your vet.
He is working for you and if you want these things
done then he should do it.If he wont,find another one.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you could be right Rhonda.
I do like my vet a lot, but i do think he should check the stool now.
If he doesnt ask for a sample today, i am just going to mention it myself, i dont really care if i seem pushy. lol x

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was also thinking it could be the bully sticks?
I give them a few times a day cause it keeps them quiet, especially in the evening, and have my moany neighbours next door to think of.
He loves a good chew on that, so i hope it isnt that, but you never know.
Just want to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Poor wee Dillon! I'd just take a sample in with you & simply tell them you want a fecal done. I've done that before & the vets don't think a thing of it.

I hope you can get to the bottom of his problems though! And soon!

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
if mine are ever on antibiotics i usually give them a bit of plain yogurt or probiotic paste as i think antibiotics kill off good bacteria aswell as bad - that might be causing the problem but its good to get it checked out incase its something worse

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poor wee Dillon! I'd just take a sample in with you & simply tell them you want a fecal done. I've done that before & the vets don't think a thing of it.

Thanks Heather, i was thinking of just taking one in with me, if he poos before we go mind you. lol
The OH said i shouldnt just take it in, cause the vet may think am trying to tell him what to do, but at this point i dont really care to be honest.

if mine are ever on antibiotics i usually give them a bit of plain yogurt or probiotic paste as i think antibiotics kill off good bacteria aswell as bad - that might be causing the problem but its good to get it checked out anyway
Thanks Chloe.
Yeah am going to get some plain yoghurt for him today.
Thing is, he was like this before and wasnt on antibitoics at the time so am no sure it's them causing this.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hmmmm I wonder about the bully sticks.
Were they the smokey coated ones?
I bought one for Dahlia once and she
got mushy stools from it.I think it had
molasses on it,which is sugar.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

I agree, Just take a sample in. I take Quigley's urine in as well when I can catch a sample. My vet has used a tool to actually go in and get a stool sample before from my dogs. Hate it for them it's rather invasive. Much like getting their temp taken. Poor babies, I am just thinking perhaps your vet has done the same and that is why he has not asked for one.

hoep he gets straightened out. Sweet baby!!!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Poor Dillon and poor you,instead of bully sticks have you tried just the plain long chews to keep him quiet Lily loves these and she hasn't had any issues,please try the "dorset herbs tree bark powder" big tub and lasts for months just sprinkle on food,i give it to our cat who has IBS and the dogs,has slippery elm powder in it,also give yoghurt,but i found this made Simba's stomach worse .I would take a sample in as well,you're paying the vet for his service.keep us updated good luck

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The OH said i shouldnt just take it in, cause the vet may think am trying to tell him what to do, but at this point i dont really care to be honest.
I'm with you...you are Dillon's advocate & if you feel his stools should be checked than request they be checked. (or bring one in or drop one off if you're unable to get one before you go in) I'm very quiet in general but that's one thing I have learned that I know what care I want my pups to have & have no problem voicing that to my vets. I really think most are OK with this. They understand people have certain requests & wants/needs. They are only human & sometimes overlook the most simple solutions sometimes. Same as physicians. You are his "customer" & get everything you think you deserve. ;) Besides, requesting a fecal isn't really telling him what to do. Lots of people request fecals randomly anyway if they have a concern their pup may have worms or what not. We can even drop one off to the vet w/o a visit. It's quite a routine thing. :)

Good luck & I'll be curious to see what you find out!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Does he eat the bully sticks?? They can cause stool problems

Is their a common ingredient in all the food he could be allergic to something

Could also be antibiotic too I give mine a probiotic yoghurt whenever they have a bad belly

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm I wonder about the bully sticks.
Were they the smokey coated ones?
I bought one for Dahlia once and she
got mushy stools from it.I think it had
molasses on it,which is sugar.
No i think it is just the normal bully sticks, nothing on them. x
I agree, Just take a sample in. I take Quigley's urine in as well when I can catch a sample. My vet has used a tool to actually go in and get a stool sample before from my dogs. Hate it for them it's rather invasive. Much like getting their temp taken. Poor babies, I am just thinking perhaps your vet has done the same and that is why he has not asked for one.

hoep he gets straightened out. Sweet baby!!!
Thanks.
No i know he didnt check the stools.
All he has done is take his temp, and do his anal glands, which he said looked a little red/ brown at the time, but just gave antibiotics to prevent him getting an absess from all the soft poos. x

Poor Dillon and poor you,instead of bully sticks have you tried just the plain long chews to keep him quiet Lily loves these and she hasn't had any issues,please try the "dorset herbs tree bark powder" big tub and lasts for months just sprinkle on food,i give it to our cat who has IBS and the dogs,has slippery elm powder in it,also give yoghurt,but i found this made Simba's stomach worse .I would take a sample in as well,you're paying the vet for his service.keep us updated good luck
Thanks Michele, will look into to that powder.
No sure what chews you mean though.
Yeah am defo taking a sample in today at all costs.
I'm with you...you are Dillon's advocate & if you feel his stools should be checked than request they be checked. (or bring one in or drop one off if you're unable to get one before you go in) I'm very quiet in general but that's one thing I have learned that I know what care I want my pups to have & have no problem voicing that to my vets. I really think most are OK with this. They understand people have certain requests & wants/needs. They are only human & sometimes overlook the most simple solutions sometimes. Same as physicians. You are his "customer" & get everything you think you deserve. ;) Besides, requesting a fecal isn't really telling him what to do. Lots of people request fecals randomly anyway if they have a concern their pup may have worms or what not. We can even drop one off to the vet w/o a visit. It's quite a routine thing. :)

Good luck & I'll be curious to see what you find out!
Thanks, yeah you are right.
I dont see why i should have to keep going back for the same thing and just getting more antibiotics.
It needs to be looked into further.

Will let you all know what the vet says. xx

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Chews that are long and look like cigars don't know what they're called they take a lot of chewing and go white at the end

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Terri , I'm sorry to hear Dillon isn't 100 %

I also use 'Dorset herbs tree bark powder" ( I use many dorest herb products ) I also use probiotic paste when my Kirby gets poorly ...
Kirby had stomach problems for a while ( his immune system isn't 100% due to health problems as a puppy ) he is now on a Prescription food from my vet and is 100% fine ALL the time , happy and always has perfect poo ..

How much are you feeding Dillion ?

I think Michelle means ' Rawhide chews ' ?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chews that are long and look like cigars don't know what they're called they take a lot of chewing and go white at the end
Ah think i know what you mean. x
Hope you get him sorted out Terri

xx
Thanks Rache. x

Terri , I'm sorry to hear Dillon isn't 100 %

I also use 'Dorset herbs tree bark powder" ( I use many dorest herb products ) I also use probiotic paste when my Kirby gets poorly ...
Kirby had stomach problems for a while ( his immune system isn't 100% due to health problems as a puppy ) he is now on a Prescription food from my vet and is 100% fine ALL the time , happy and always has perfect poo ..

How much are you feeding Dillion ?

I think Michelle means ' Rawhide chews ' ?
Awww glad Kirby is sorted now.

You know his poo was a bit more solid just now when he did after his lunch and i gave him less than normal.
I give 2 table spoons of his kibble, this time i didnt quite fill the spoon each time.
Maybe i do give him too much, cant go with the bags though as they always say way too much.
I have a sample now anyhow to give to the vet.:)
I dont like giving those rawhide chews, i started out giving them to Darla and Daisy, but they get chewed so fast and they always chewed big bits off at a time, and sometimes would kinda cough it back up, so i worry about choking with those.

Anyway leaving shortly, so will update later. xxx

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
You know his poo was a bit more solid just now when he did after his lunch and i gave him less than normal.
I give 2 table spoons of his kibble, this time i didnt quite fill the spoon each time.
That was my thoughts , maybe you are feeding him to much ?
How much does he weigh now ? If you get a chance to weigh it
out how much you are giving him ?

High fives from Kirby to Dillon :cool:

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw poor little Dillon. :( I would maybe try a probiotic. Hope all goes well at the vet's, Terri, I'll be thinking of you guys. xx

1 - 20 of 42 Posts