Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... ok maybe not "terror." :laughing6: But watch!!!! She cannot contain herself when she is so excited and just bursts into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upl9c46rv9o

Now, she lays down like I ask (notice the other two are doing it) but lately she's gotten into this little habit of barking her head off while I'm pouring food (out of sight in the pantry.) As soon as I emerge she's quiet, but I've tried a few things and now am just ignoring it. Hell, my husband and I can't help but think it's adorable... which reinforces it.
WHAT! :rolleyes:
She makes us smile! :love4:
When she barks we can't help but crack up... we really try not to but we haven't had this much personality in the house for a while. What does that say? :fart:

... only problem is now she's beginning to think it's fun to get so excited because of our reactions, and she's begun doing little tiny "spurt barks" during greetings, beginning training games & even being a bit more vocal when I ask her to stay in her kennel. I can't tell if this behavior may crescendo or not, but I don't want an overly vocal chi :sad2: (no offense to our other vocal babies out there.)

My husband and I try really hard not to reinforce this, but at the end of it the raucous isn't that unbearable and she still has the ability to focus and do commands [allbeit not "sit still" :laughing6:]

Thoughts? Tips? If this is going to escalate I'd like to nip it in the bud but we've tried "quiet" (short of squeezing her mouth shut she is not understanding this. Not a big deal right now as she isn't much of a barker...) and we've tried stopping the feeding ritual until she is calm (we can get her down to whining and "ruffs" under her breath.)

Thank you in advance! Would just like some thoughts and feedback! :D It's a cute little behavior that doesn't really bother us much now, but we haven't found a way to get her to stop when asked.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions but I just must comment, that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! I can see why it's hard not to accidentally reinforce it. It's adorable alright. Darn tootin adorable. She's a doll.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
LOL She's adorable! I can also see why it's hard not to reinforce it. My two are generally quiet, but sometimes do that when they get really excited. Lilo does exactly like Ponyo while Rocky does that + a cute little howl. Everybody can't help but find it cute... and they know it. :rolleyes: lol

I suppose the way to change it is to change our reactions. We try to stop what we're doing and ignore them until they've calmed down. For example, if it's at the beginning of a training session with treats, I walk away until they stop. In the situation in your video, it's a bit hard because she does go quiet when you come back. In my case, they do it in front of me so I ignore them and don't put the food bowls down until they've calmed down. I think if she stops getting attention when barking, it shouldn't get worse.

In our case, it's particularly bad with the friend we live with right now. They go crazy around him and he just reinforces it. He even barks back at them to excite them even more... no matter how many times we've told him not to do that/to ignore them. It was cute at first, but it's really getting out of control. lol

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I love your Cocker's tail wagging when Ponyos having her fun!! It is adorable! Judy watch it, she sounds and acts just like Lily. We've let her get by with way too much because of this. I'm getting ready to take her back through obedience, she too is having a hard time sitting still. Good luck with that cutie pie!

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Ahh, that is soooo cute. I love ur dog with the crossed paws. Maybe the waiting whilst u do the food is just too much for her. Could you not prepare it whilst they are out of the room and then just make them sit/paw and then feed. Take the excitement out of it? :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahh, that is soooo cute. I love ur dog with the crossed paws. Maybe the waiting whilst u do the food is just too much for her. Could you not prepare it whilst they are out of the room and then just make them sit/paw and then feed. Take the excitement out of it? :)
That's a great idea! So simple! Yes, if it gets out of control any further, that's what we'll do. She may yip yip a little but the work up just really seems to get her! :laughing6:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys, half of the reason why my husband and I laugh is because we have no idea where she gets it from! My other two are so chill and her personality is just expanding leaps and bounds! When we first got her she was very introverted and quiet! She is now just the bounciest, flounciest "OH PLEASE SAY THAT'S FOR ME! :love4: " little pup!

I love her to pieces and she is totally beginning to own me, but in the end it's really not so bad with a little dog. Although, I need you guys to keep me in line! :rolleyes:

Some great comments & suggestions, everyone, thank you so much! I'm glad we're not the only ones who are melting for this little act. I'm a die-hard believer in balanced and consistent rules for my kids, but this little girl is such a charmer I've never found it so difficult... or perhaps, in some instances, not needed?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts