Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been in contact for a couple of weeks now with a breeder that will have puppies in the middle of July. I have been talking to her about getting two and she says she will give me a great deal on them. I'm beginning to think twice now about going with her. I have been looking at the pictures of the puppies parents and they just are not shaped at all how I would like my puppies to look. They have beautiful coloring and markings, but their legs, bodies and noses are longer. I really love the more rounded head like an apple and more of a petite looking body. After seeing so many pics that you guys post of all of these beautifully shaped chi's and looking at pics of the chi's I grew up with, it is really making me think twice and I get the feeling that I am just settling. I know that chi puppies here in the states are not as expensive as other places, but I still don't have an extra $1000 or more to spend (at least not for quite awhile). I was originally looking at around $500 for 2 puppies with this breeder which would have been great. That would have left me with enough money to buy all of the supplies ahead of time. I've been looking at other breeders in the area but all of their puppies seem to be at least $700 on up with the majority being over $1000. I don't need a show quality, I just want one that looks like what a typical chi should look like. Now I need to decide if I want to still go ahead and get these puppies which I'm sure I will love just as much, or I will have to wait a lot longer to possibly find a puppy that is more shaped the way I want. I really hate the idea of waiting that long. As it was it would still be a few months before the original puppies would be able to come home with me. But, I worry that if I do go ahead and get these puppies, that I will always look for another puppy that is the shape that I really want. We really don't need 3 dogs and I don't think my husband would be too happy with me if I got a third. It's just frustrating, and I am terrible at waiting, lol!

Before anyone says anything, I would just like to add that there is no issue with being able to afford to take care of them and to pay the vet bills and such. It's just an issue of coming up with the initial purchase price. I would just have to wait much longer to get them from the other breeders that I am finding in my area. Not that I can't do it, it's just disappointing to think of waiting that much longer. :( I also don't want to rescue at this time because I still have younger kids and I don't want to take the risk of them being bit by an older dog we rescue. I do plan to do that later though when the kids are grown. I think it is a wonderful thing to do.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I think it is a good think you are having second thoughts. Why spend the money if you won't be happy with the puppy later on? I don't think you will have to spend an extra $1000 for a puppy that looks how you want it to, but it will be more than $500 for two. I would just keep looking, I am sure something will turn up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Missy. You chi's are a perfect example. I love the shape of them and think they are so beautiful. That is more of what I am looking for but preferably in short hair, though I do love the long hair. It's just that it is always so hot out here where we live for one, and for two we have a travel trailer that we love to go camping in which means lots of walks out on trails where dirt, leaves, twigs and burrs could easily get stuck in that long beautiful hair.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I would suggest you keep looking if they are not exactly what you're looking for. When I was searching for my puppy, I was the same way. I was trying to find the perfect short hair female with the applehead typey look I wanted in the price range I could afford. Here in Sweden, puppies are outrageously expensive. After months of searching, I finally found Gemma. She is absolutely perfect and everything I had hoped for. I had other options along the way but I am glad I waited. When I saw her in person the first time, it was love at first sight.

You will know when the right puppies come along for you. Don't settle for anything less than what you consider perfect. They WILL be out there, it may just take some time.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I know it's hard, I HATE waiting, esp for puppies! But I def think u wud be better off waiting.

I'm the same, I love the typey chihuahua look, short legs, short nose, round head, big ears, I just love the look and I know if I didnt get it with mine i would have HAD to get another and another until I got my perfect chi and that wud end up being way more expensive in the long run lol!

I also always said to my hubby every time I saw a nice chi for sale that I wud never find another one that nice that I could afford, so he simply had to buy my that one immediately lol, but there was always another a couple weeks or a month later that I liked for sale, you will find ur perfect chi, just keep looking, it will be worth the wait!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My husband always gets on to me because I can't wait for anything! I understand, but he tells me all the time that when you know what you want don't settle, and if you feel like you are settling, don't get it. I want every puppy I see, but they don't all have a personality that matches mine. Get a chi that is right for you. If you have to wait that just means you can save more money for the one you really want.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Would say wait. Honestly for $250 each odds are that you aren't getting a quality puppy. I would think $500 would even be hard to find. I know when I was looking I couldn't find one that cheap that wasn't a backyard breeder. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be difficult to find. You need to be happy with what you get.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah I would look around if those pups do not have the qualities you are looking for.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will keep looking. I really think it would be bad to settle. Who knows, the perfect pair might just happen to fall in my lap one day out of the blue!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I wonder if you could stand to get just ONE puppy at a really good chi kennel. Go to a dog show and find a good breeder. Talk with them. Get their phone number, or email address. Look at the web site. (Don't just look at random web sites, without visiting please) Then after you've had the puppy for awhile, you could get a sister, or brother from them. Litter mates, sometimes, bond with each other and are hard to train. That is something that happens frequently, but not always. Sue

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was kind of thinking of this too, Sue. We have a big dog show coming up in mid July so I may go to it. I'm worried though that the breeders will be too busy to bother talking to me and not sure if that is the best time to approach them. Do breeders usually let people come visit their kennels if they are just looking and haven't been in contact with them about seeing a specific puppy? I have been looking at breeder's websites in the area but all of the puppy's they have listed for sale seem to be very expensive. I have not contacted any yet because I'm not ready to buy. I'm a bit torn between getting one or two. I know I want two regardless and I figured it would make the transition easier if they had a companion right off. Especially those first few nights in a new place. I worry that if I wait to get a second one then they won't bond as much. I've read posts where after they added another dog that the two just tolerate each other but don't interact a ton. I really want them to love each other, sleep together, play together, cuddle together, etc. I think when they have such a great bond like that they are so fun to watch when they are interacting with each other. But, that would mean holding out a lot longer until I have the money. Either way, I have to wait until later in July to do anything because we are taking a trip up to Michigan to visit family next week and won't be back until mid July. That will give me more time to research as well.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I was kind of thinking of this too, Sue. We have a big dog show coming up in mid July so I may go to it. I'm worried though that the breeders will be too busy to bother talking to me and not sure if that is the best time to approach them. Do breeders usually let people come visit their kennels if they are just looking and haven't been in contact with them about seeing a specific puppy? I have been looking at breeder's websites in the area but all of the puppy's they have listed for sale seem to be very expensive. I have not contacted any yet because I'm not ready to buy. I'm a bit torn between getting one or two. I know I want two regardless and I figured it would make the transition easier if they had a companion right off. Especially those first few nights in a new place. I worry that if I wait to get a second one then they won't bond as much. I've read posts where after they added another dog that the two just tolerate each other but don't interact a ton. I really want them to love each other, sleep together, play together, cuddle together, etc. I think when they have such a great bond like that they are so fun to watch when they are interacting with each other. But, that would mean holding out a lot longer until I have the money. Either way, I have to wait until later in July to do anything because we are taking a trip up to Michigan to visit family next week and won't be back until mid July. That will give me more time to research as well.
My two are not littermates but 13 months apart but same parents. You would NEVER know they are not littermates. They act like they are and they are definately a bonded pair. They love on each other, fight like brother and sister, and play together all the time. They are double trouble for my Gibbs as they double team and bully him. Also if you have an older and younger the older can help train the younger as he or she will learn from their big sis or brother.

Not sure if this helps you but there is no mistake that my two are bonded more so than most pups.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Christie that's great! Is there anything that can be done that may help in either picking out a second pup later on or when you bring a new one home to help with that bonding process? If I get one at a time, does it help to maybe bring my pup with me to meet a new potential pup to see if they hit it off together, or is that something that is frowned upon by breeders having other people bring their dogs to meet their pups? I would just hate to fall in love with and get a second puppy, and then the one I already have would either have major jealousy issues or just wouldn't want anything to do with the new one.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
My breeder brought Sonny over to see if they got along and they adored each other from the start. I use to call sonny BG's puppy as that is how she treated him. BG was very stingy and Sonny is slowly breaking that she still has her moments but they have been great together.

I know rescues let you bring your dog to meet the other dog to see if they like each other so I assume most breeders would too esp if you warn them upfront you will want a friend in a year or two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts