Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, haven't posted in a while, but I have a little dilemma... I can never leave Dixie all by herself! She cries and whines too much! And I get scared because, if she wastes all her energy crying and jumping around to find me, she might get hypoglycemic again(she doesn't like eating or drinking when she is alone). I'm at school from 8-12 (and sometimes a lady my age has things to do!), my mom left the country to go back home for 3 weeks, my brother is an idiot when it comes to the new puppy(he's 23! :lol: ) and my dad has work 24/7.

I tried leaving her with her toys(nothing small or breakable so she can't choke), a bunch of blankets and pillows so she won't hurt herself, and sometimes I leave the tv on so she can watch. haha I know she won't watch tv, but who knows? She's already 12 weeks old and a little less than 2 pounds.

Any ideas to make her feel like she's safe by herself? I just feel so bad when she starts crying! How can I say no to her??

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D My dogs watch tv! Everytime we leave I leave the TV on..try to do that all the time, or leave the radio..I prefer TV cause then they know where the noise is comming from....another idea would be one of those plushies that have a heart beat, so she can snuggle and sleep...if she doesn't eat when she's alone make sure she's getting enough food and nutrients when you're there...hope that helps a bit and good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had this problem with Jasmine, so I don't know a lot about it. One thing I have read and heard about seperation anxiety is not to make a big production about leaving. They also say when you first get home, you shouldn't pay a lot of attention to your pet as soon as you walk in the door. If your puppy senses you are anxious and stressed about leaving, they will become stressed and anxious also.

Leaving the TV on is a good idea-I sometimes leave my TV on for Jasmine.

Hopefully, some of the other posters will have more suggestions for you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
You might want ot try leaviing a shirt or something that has your sent on it... I know that works wonders... Where in the house are you leaving her? Can she see the door from where she is?

If she can't see the door you can sneak out without her knowing it... When I first left Gadget home Mark had to distract him or he would whine the whole time I was gone... I have only left him home if somebody is here.. I haven't had to leaave him home alone for any length of time.. I have left him in the house while I go outside... he seems to cry for a few minutes then he goes tot he window and puts his front paws up and watches me out the window...

good luck and God bless

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
we don't leave the tv on ( i want to, but bf says our plasma only lives for an amount of play hours :?) i do leave the radio on .......but it doesn't make that much a difference to cosmo and paris......; i leave very suddenly and don't say goodbye .....but when i come home....i can't ignore them ,it's ten minutes cuddle time then .....hehe

kisses nat

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
xx-nathalie-xx said:
we don't leave the tv on ( i want to, but bf says our plasma only lives for an amount of play hours :?) i do leave the radio on .......but it doesn't make that much a difference to cosmo and paris......; i leave very suddenly and don't say goodbye .....but when i come home....i can't ignore them ,it's ten minutes cuddle time then .....hehe

kisses nat
LOL - No, I can't ignore Jasmine when I get home either. I didn't word that very well - what I was referring to was for those who have seperation anxiety, it is supposed to be best if you make leaving and returning as low key as possible. I don' know if this actually works, as I haven't had this problem with Jasmine thankfully. But then again, I have been home almost all the time since I got her last year. Just started working again last week and it is only temporary.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all, I read somewhere that you should make your entrances/exits very boring/low key. I tried that yesterday and today, and she just kept crying and crying! I feel so bad! I can't just ignore her when I get back home either. I just love holding her!!! I don't know. I'll try leaving my shirt with my scent on it. Where can I get a toy with a beating heart? I heard that was a possible way to control separation anxiety. I'll try anything to make her feel safe! Thank you all for the advice!!!!

MsStephanie & Dixie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts