Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just around her back end. Patches of hair loss. She does have some dry skin. Anything good out there you all use? Anything homemade or natural I can apply to her daily or after a bath? Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wash her with a mix of 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 warm water, then wash her with a creme rinse for dogs that has colloidal oatmeal in it. Skip the regular shampoo unless it's oatmeal-based and "soap free." I use Tropicana shampoo and Earth Bath creme rinse on Teddy.

Vinegar kills bacteria on the skin and oatmeal soothes dry, inflamed or itchy skin. :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Given that there isn't a medical problem, I like using Dermoscent Essential 6 Spot-On, which is available online. It's all natural and smells great. I use the product on my oldest girl, Clover, who has a terrible coat from years of malnutrition.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What is causing the patchy hair loss and dry, itching skin? That's what would dictate how I would treat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking dry skin since she's flaky. I use the oatmeal/aloe. I'm taking her to the vet soon for her yearlys and have them check her if it hasn't gone away. I won't use Frontline, etc as she in inside 90%. A flea now and then, from the cats or a walk I'll use Adams. She's still eating Puppy Chow and I mix in some One natural. She also eats alittle Petigree.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I'm thinking dry skin since she's flaky. I use the oatmeal/aloe. I'm taking her to the vet soon for her yearlys and have them check her if it hasn't gone away. I won't use Frontline, etc as she in inside 90%. A flea now and then, from the cats or a walk I'll use Adams. She's still eating Puppy Chow and I mix in some One natural. She also eats alittle Petigree.
Could you try switching her food? Purina isn't very high quality, and food can definitely cause dry/patchy skin

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Missy. I'd switch her food. Like today. Wellness comes from the inside out.

Puppy Chow, Purina One, and Pedigree are all full of grains and by-products. No meat. They are low priced because they are low quality. There are many many better choices! And it doesn't have to break the bank. Taste of the Wild is a very good food and it's not expensive. You won't find it at Walmart though.

You will spend WAY less at the vet if you invest in good nutrition.

By "yearly's" - do you mean yearly vaccinations? If so - STOP! She doesn't need yearly vaccinations. They depress the immune system. A series of puppy shots is adequate for most dogs. Ask about a vaccine titer instead.

Here's some reading to get you started on better choices and therefore, better health!

Dog Food Reviews - Purina Puppy Chow - Powered by ReviewPost

Dog Food Reviews - Purina ONE Growth & Development Lamb & Rice Formula - Powered by ReviewPost

Dog Food Reviews - Pedigree Complete Nutrition (adult dog food) - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Paco is hair challenged, I'v been feeding him missing link for about a year now and his hair has gotten much better, thicker, he has hair around his neck now, and he itches much less.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah a friend of mine vacs her chi every 3 years. I'm thinking of that too for Dixie. Just worry she might pick up parvo or distemper from our walks. Wish I could vacs for those only. But I do have to have her checked for heartworms and her 3 year rabies. I will switch the food. I understood the Puppy Chow healthy morsels were suppose to be good.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
You mention she is eating puppy chow? how old is she? one of my dogs had very sparse fur in some areas that I actually thought was alopecia when he was younger, but as he matured fully those spots all filled in beautifully, sometimes they can just be a bit slow to get the fuller coat, or can seem sparser as pups but as hey get older they fill in.
If she's not a pup then disregard my theory LOL

It could be alleriges as others suggested or demodex.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Yeah a friend of mine vacs her chi every 3 years. I'm thinking of that too for Dixie. Just worry she might pick up parvo or distemper from our walks. Wish I could vacs for those only. But I do have to have her checked for heartworms and her 3 year rabies. I will switch the food. I understood the Puppy Chow healthy morsels were suppose to be good.
That's the thing, a lot of bad food brands make their food seem healthy through marketing. Just research any food you might switch her to. I think Taste of the Wild is the best kibble for it's price, from what I have read here.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If your dog has had her parvo/distemper puppy vaccinations chances are they are already protected & won't just "pick it up"! :) Titer tests measure your dog to see how immune they are to parvo/distemper/etc. If they are immune...there is no need of another vaccination. You can also have Rabies done...Tracy can elaborate more on that as she's had this done & gotten an exemption from her vet (lucky!!). We opt to do 3yr Rabies vaccinations...but my crew get no other vaccinations other than their puppy series, 1yr "boosters" & Rabies every 3 years.

As for diet...a simple diet switch I will guess will clear up the balding patches. Find a high quality grain free kibble (Taste of the Wild, I agree, is a good choice!) or even a premade raw if you want to go in that direction. But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what a good grain free food will do to the health of your dog. :)

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I used to feed Eukanuba back in the day bc once again the vet said it was the best food on the market baby's hair was so dry and she shed like CRAZY once I read online I found out that it was the food I switched to blue buffalo wilderness at that time which is grain free and her hair instantly went silky smooth and shiny I still use it to this day she's picky so she alternates herself from premade raw to kibble I really do suggest changing her food! I bet you'll get great results and save yourself from costly vet bills

1 - 14 of 14 Posts