Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pico's DNA results are in and they aren't quite what I expected!

Apparently his grandparents on one side were a Miniature Pinscher and a NEWFOUNDLAND and
his grandparents on the other side were a mixed breed and a Yorkshire Terrier!

He really does resemble a Min Pin so I'll buy that. Maybe the Chihuahua is in the mixed breed grandparent?

Oh jeez... does this mean I have to leave ChihuahuaPeople? I love this site! :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Wow what a shock! lol Such a little bitty feller has a big past! lol Very interesting. I'd love to do that with Kaige. When I adopted Kaige they said Chihuahua/Minpin mix and really he could have minpin in him somehwere but to me he's Chi/boston terrier mix. but of course I have no clue lol It would be a shock to see newfoundlander in that mix though lolol so cute! Of course you don't have to leave! He's a sweet little guy!!! Glad you got some fun results!! Did it take a while to get the results back?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
OMG lmao!! I can't believe there is Newfie in him LMAO i'm going to guess that his grandma was the newfie :p He is so pretty and btw your not allowed to leave your stuck her for life :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Wow, that is a bit of a shock, huh? He's a beauty for sure. I would love to get Smoke done. When I got him from the pound, he was turned in with his mom who was a chi. The owner said his dad was a chi, too. But in this town, if it has a smooth coat, upright ears and is under 10 pounds, it's automatically a chi. But his nose is very large and coarse, so I wonder sometimes if he has a some weird dogs in his pedigree. Still couldn't love him more, but it would be fun to see.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I have always wondered how accurate those DNA tests for breeds really are. He certainly looks like he has chi in him to me, and I see the min pin for sure too. Lol Im not seeing the newfie in him, wonder what theyd think of him if you joined a newfie forum as well ;) I think hes clearly a chi mix.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I DNA tested my Australian Shepherd rescue, and he turned out to be 75% Aussie and 20% Chihuahua (he looks like a big Aussie). At the time, i was horrified and embarrassed, as I absolutely hated Chis. Then i became more interested in them because my Aussie is such a great guy. I actually forced myself to talk to chi owners in the Pet Smart. And then along came Mr Finn . . . and now I am Chi mommy to 4 and foster Mommy to two more. So, take heart in your great guy no matter what his mix.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes, they sure can be. the more the mix, the higher the inaccuracy. My Shelby si a mix of 6 dog breeds. if i tested her again, she'd probably be six other breeds. the vet can do a blood DNA test, which are more accurate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts