Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for breeders to give their puppies the shots themselves instead of taking them to the vet? I was talking with a breeder today and I was asking about vet history and shots he said he had none.....that he did it himself. Shayley's breeder didn't do that so I just didn't know if this was normal or not?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
A lot of breeders will start the series of shots themselves to cut cost but unless it is a reputable breeder I really trust then it worries me :-(

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have heard of that as of recently I know when the vet does them they stick the sticker of the vial on the vet record maybe see if he has that to prove it or in the future as to see it done?

·
Registered
912 Posts
All of the breeders my pups have come from have done their own shots and kept records. Actually, all of them have taken the sticker off of the vaccination bottles, and stuck them to which ever "shot record file" they gave me with each puppy.

In my head, if a person is breeding chihuahuas, they ought to know how to give shots themselves... Am I crazy here?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been researching and I see a lot of breeders do give their own shots. I never heard of it before but then again my last breeder I delt with was 8 years ago and I was only 16 lol.

The thing that worried me was he said he had no history of the shots....rather he does them himself or vet it would be nice to keep track and what not....so IDK!

Oh ya he said he has been doing that since the 1980's and he takes them in for their rabies shots, he doesn't do those himself. Interesting to me I just didn't know you could do that yourself. Where do you get the supplies from for the people who do it themselves?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't think it's possible for breeder's to obtain a rabies vaccination, only vets there. However, I know any ole body can walk into our local farming store and pick up most vaccinations for puppies and kittens. They have pamphlets and directions to go with them, even videos for you to watch there on doing it. But it's up to the purchaser to actually educate themselves which is kinda scary...

And yes, I agree, even if done by themselves, they should keep record!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I know that alot of breeders do it them self, also the breeder where I got my exotic cat from does all her own shots and microchipping.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also order the vaccines from Drs Foster and smith and Jeffers and have them shipped to your door, and also go to a feed/seed store or hardware store and get them. I have heard of some breeders giving shots themselves, but it would worry me if they have no records to prove that they gave shots.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Love my breeder and my vet. I choose my breeder giving shots. Hope did not even flinch. When I inquired why my breeder said that she uses only tiny diabetic needles on chi puppies.

My breeder gives all puppy shots. We met up with her to get one and she had the sticker from the vial to go on the little immunization record that Hope came with. She reminded me to bring it. She came with a whole snapped packet with all kinds of information on her including that record.

My vet just gives a receipt. The only shots we got Mick were annual shots and then his diuretic when he became so sick.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just be aware that most vets won't recognize this as valid proof of vaccination, even with the vial label. They frown upon it because vaccinations are fragile and must be kept at a certain temperature, reconstituted correctly, and correctly administered. Timing is also crucial to not interfere with maternal antibodies. Also boarding facilities and also obedience/socialization classes may not recognize shots that are not given by a vet.

This is a cost cutting measure that many breeders use so they won't have to pay the vet fee. It is up to you if you want to accept the risk/liability that the vaccines were given correctly.

If anyone is thinking of just ordering vaccinations online and giving them to their dog themselves to save money, I really caution against that. Vaccination reactions are VERY common, especially in toy breeds, and you could run into an emergency situation. Without proper antidotes (antihistamine, possible IV steroids) the puppy could die. I think it's worth the money to pay a professional, that is my opinion, except in the cases of a very experienced breeder.

Also, to muddy the waters a little more, there are different manufacturers of vaccines, and they are NOT the same. Do you know the difference between a killed virus versus a modified live vaccine and why you would prefer one over the other? Many vaccines come packages with lepto, which is also suspect and not a vaccine I would give under any circumstances.

Rabies is illegal to given by a lay person in almost every state. If your dog would nip someone and you don't have VALID proof of vaccine, your dog could be confiscated or even put to sleep.

If you are thinking about giving your own vaccines, please educate yourself on the risks. As for buying a puppy that has been vaccinated at the breeder, buyer beware unless you have confidence that it was done correctly and will be validated by your own veterinarian.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree. While Hope was seen by the breeder's vet, we were asked (in our contract) to have her seen by ours within a week of picking her up. We did and he looked over her record and the stickers and said, "wow, very complete".

When I asked if he preferred to give the final he said no, that what she did was fine and he wanted to see her for her rabies. The breeder only gives puppy shots, not others. He wants to give the rabies a bit too soon for my preference so I am likely to wait a few weeks since she is not out in this weather.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's very interesting to me for some reason. I never heard of this and when he told me I was kinda like oh really? TBH it kinda turned me off to adopt from him in the future. IDK why but it's just different to me and I'd feel safer if a vet did it myself just because that's what I'm use to. (I'm just kinda browsing around right now and looking we're not getting another until after Kizzie is spayed. Unless it's a puppy that is from a shelter, then I'd make the move on it lol) I was just curious to see what you all thought about it, I can see it's mixed feelings. I just have no experience with that and was even telling my mom I kinda felt uncomfortable with that move.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
ALL my puppies are fully vaccinated by a vet before they are sold - I wouldn't like the responsibility of the insurance being invalidated by doing it myself
I am trained to microchip but don't do my puppies as it is one hell of a needle to go into a puppy - I will do them at 6 months but recommend they do it when neutering

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You are right in following your instinct. I am new to this and have already learned that it is like it was raising my kids. There are a dozen theories, approaches and even doctors suggest different ways and when to do things. What's a pet owner to do!? haha!

Like with my kids, I am getting educated (and cannot thank you all enough for the schooling!) and researching and then choosing what is right for us.

I figured my kids lived and this little puppy will be great as well (although I swear I watch/worry/obsess over every little thing she does even more than I did with my kids-haha!).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Half and half...the breeder that did them herself had the pups vet checked and cleared before sale, though :)

TBH I plan to do the shots myself when I breed. It will give me maximum control over who gets what, when. My friend in town that breeds Aussies told me that a vet outside town will order them for her along with thier normal order, whatever she wants at cost, and it ensures they are maintained at proper temperatures. So that's the route I'll probably go.

When I took Oakley in to get her Parvo/Adenovirus/Distemper shot, I checked, checked and double checked with them there was nothing extra in there. Well...there was...they gave her a shot including parainfluenza too, and basically lied to me about it, because "they don't carry the shots without the parainfluenza". I also asked if they could split the parvo off from the distemper/adenovirus. They told me no, only to find out the next time I went in they COULD have. Grrrr. So...yeah, I will be ordering and administering the shots myself. I did all of Trigger's puppy vaccines myself as well after we got him. (They were given to me by the breeder).

The downside is if the pup has a reaction, I have to get it to the vet and I have to cover all costs. TBH I prefer that to a vet giving a shot they won't "let me see" but will "tell me what's in it". That's bullshit.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I will add, I think the commonality of breeders doing their own shots has nothing to do with "saving a few bucks". Maybe for some. But for most, they like to do it "their way", splitting doses for pups as small as chis. Its a battle with most vets. I still haven't found a vet I feel good and comfortable with, who doesn't think I am an idiot. Many chihuahua breeders have become acutely aware of the over-vaccinating that is occuring nationwide, mainly because they are losing puppies by following "standard protocol". I am part of a yahoo group where there was just a long convo about puppies going down from shots. It is all too common and shots need to be something closely monitored, and not given "just because a piece of paper tells you to".

Sure, it saves the breeder maybe $50 a pup. I know for me, it will have absolutely NOTHING to do with that, but moreso I want to have complete control over who gets what, when.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I do rabies a month after the last of the vaccination series is complete so usually around 5 months. I like to span the shots out and not have to much at once.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts