Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,not sure if charchi has a problem with his foot/leg.Sometimes when we go out walking charchi will walk ok ,then he sometimes brings his back foot up and does something i could only desribe as a couple of little skips.He runs around the yard ok,i notice he does what a lot of other dogs do, if he,s really interested in something, he,ll stand with one front paw up in the air or sometimes even one foot. His foot and leg dont hurt to touch or sqeeze , and he runs on it without doing this skipping thing, is this something chi,s do?this is my first chi so if it is i wouldent know thanks -janet:confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Sounds like a luxating patella. I'd almost put money on it. Your vet can confirm or negate that as well as give you a point of reference to work from, whether you might treat with supplements or surgery etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Odie started skipping around 9 months old, took him to the vet got it looked at and he said the best way to look is with x-ray.He needed to be neutered so I booked him and all was done same time. He was diagnosed with Legg Perths.The head of the bone on
top of his back leg that goes in the hip joint is deteriorating and probably will need to operate at some point,they will remove the head of the bone.Or it could be a luxating patella.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What is happening to our poor, poor babies .... it seems that almost every second thread I open these days is our darlings having problems in their back legs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
What is happening to our poor, poor babies .... it seems that almost every second thread I open these days is our darlings having problems in their back legs
Indiscriminate breeding, that's what! As you yourself have said a lot of the Chi's here in Oz are 'unfortunate looking' (my Chloe included, she is beautiful to me but she is bug eyed with a long schnoz, long in the body and has a weird action in her back end) and the less visible result is the health problems associated with these conformation errors. Given that Chloe and Axle share a parent I think I'm probably lucky he is so sound.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ah, but Sarah, no-one is more indiscriminately bred than my four babies in their "backyards", and, according to the good Prof. Vet, that's the reason they're so very, very sound of body, mind & soul, because there's absolutely no super-fine, line breeding aka in-breeding going on at all, pedigrees are so far removed from each other they may as well be different breeds almost :)

I still live in fear that this condition will raise it's ugly head in my pack, and do admit to offering up a prayer to the "Dog Knee Gods" on a daily basis. I'm sure the Dog Knee Gods will keep them safe & sound 'coz I have blind faith :coolwink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unfortunately, my Daisy has luxating patella in her rear leg which certainly sounds like what your baby is experiencing. She is 6 & has no pain at this point. As others have said, I am sure it is due to poor breeding.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep,everyone, u were right, took charchi to the vet and he,s got luxatig patella just like a couple of people here said, grade 3, he,s on antiemflamatries, proberly not spelt right, for 2 weeks, then i take him back to the vet and hopefully he wont need surgery, vet said the drugs may help and that not all dogs need surgery, but if he does my baby will be getting his surgery, vet said it cost around $700.00, hubby even offered to sell his boat if he has to , to pay for it. So now i,m keeping him quite, no playing with other dogs, running after balls things like that. Now i,m getting hubby to make a couple of ramps, 1 outside so he go into the garden, another near our bed to stop him jumping up up and off it, i,m trying to work out something so he can still get up on the window sill to sleep in the sun, on top of my lounge, as this is his fav spot, i have a step ther now for him to get up on the lounge, but its getting from the lounge up to the window sill, at the moment he usually jumps up there, but the vet said, no good, because it,s the starting jump thats no good for him. Only other option is to put something there to stop him getting up at all, any ideas girls? i feel so bad for him, it,s his fav spot, now he cant even play with other dogs, poor baby. The vet said it,s not bad breeding with him because it,s only 1 leg not 2, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I,m so glad i have you girls here to talk to, thanks -janet.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Your vet is wrong. IT IS bad breeding. Why? Because it is genetic. So if breeders would ONLY breed from dogs with 0/0 patellas, then luxating patellas would disappear from our breed. The sad fact is that it is rampant in our breed and finding superior quality dogs that have been health tested and found to have tight patellas is very very difficult.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Your vet is wrong. IT IS bad breeding. Why? Because it is genetic. So if breeders would ONLY breed from dogs with 0/0 patellas, then luxating patellas would disappear from our breed. The sad fact is that it is rampant in our breed and finding superior quality dogs that have been health tested and found to have tight patellas is very very difficult.
Absolutely, 100% correct. Luxating patellas are congenital- and very common in Chis. Both Toby's parents have 0/0 patellas and so far so good with him. *fingers crossed forever*

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Unless you saw him injure that leg...I'd also willing to bet it's genetics. It's awful...even so called "good" breeders aren't afraid to use dogs with grade 1 or 2 luxating patella's or so I've learned.

Unless you have worked on your "line" for generations & generations & generations...you still can have LP pop up from time to time. But yeah...if all breeders would only use breeding dogs with 0,0 knees the breed would start getting healthier & not vice versa. It's so sad...and such a tragic thing seeing a seemingly healthy young dog go from completely healthy & active to pretty much being on crate rest. :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
My Timmy came from supposed Champion Sired parents, grandparents, etc, but who really cares about all the champions in his blood line, when I see him walk or run, I am sure he has this too.

You can take all your championship doggy do do and stick it somewhere. It means nothing. I would much rather have a healthy Timmy.

I have learned the hard way, and the next chihuahua I buy will be from a breeder who tests their dogs for this. As many have said this is getting way out of hand and it has to be stopped.

Regina

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Very few 'breeders' do this kind of genetic testing. My champion sired girl had to have both knees repaired at a little over a year. Supposed to be a wonderful breeder. I let him know, and he never returned an answer, just disappeared. Also bred a female that has terrible temperment, probably has epilepsy also. He is known for this!

Bonnie was bought from a kennel that does do this kind of genetic testing. They outbreed quite often too. We'll see.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It is because of 'backyard breeding', puppy mills and these so called 'breeders' that chis have this problem. They need to be 0/0. LP can be EXTREMELY serious. Breeders need to stop this.

I hope everything works out for your baby!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts