Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :)
It is winter here in Australia at the moment, but when it comes summer time I would love to be able to take Bear to the beach (he will of had all his vaccinations by then).
So I am just wondering if it's safe to do this and whether or not he will enjoy it??
Or does it mostly just depend on the personality of the dog?
He seems to enjoy his baths and ever hopped in the shower with me! So I'm hoping he will enjoy water in wider areas too :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, thats so cute....do you let your chis off the leash if you take them to the beach?
I used to have a cattle dog and would let him and he loved it.
A bit worried that Bear could get lost though cause he is so tiny

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I have let Lilly off leash at the doggy beach- she has 100% perfect recall. I would not with the little ones because I would worry about sea gulls, other animals, and losing them. And their recall is not at 100% yet.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
If he likes his baths, there's a good chance that he'll like the water if he's introduced properly! Odie hates the water, but we are slowly trying to turn that around. Swimming is such an excellent way for dogs to burn energy and is great exercise for dogs with joint pain, etc.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think it depends on the dog. Chloe wanted NOTHING to do with the ocean when we took her to the beach. She did like the sand, but she tried to eat it, so we couldn't stay long. She behaves during baths, but she hates them. She acts like we're torturing her. If he likes baths he has a good chance of liking it though!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Depends on the dog. Axle loves baths and he's been to the beach twice and loved it. Chloe tolerates baths and liked running around at the beach but she wasn't keen on oing in the water. Winnie hates baths so I'm not holding out hope that he will enjoy the beach.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My chi (Midgie) loves going boating & to the beach; pretty much anywhere. She seems to tolerate baths & swimming. I occasionally take her in the pool with me & let her swim around. When we went boating a couple of weeks ago, I let her swim to shore to wee wee & I stayed in the water by the boat. I called her to me when she was done not sure if she'd come on her own, but she did because she didn't want mommy to leave without her. She's been a water dog since she was a baby, so she has no choice, but to tolerate it! Lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.