Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if red foxes will eat/kill cats?? The other morning my bf let our cat outside and he heard an aweful cat meow (like when they are fighting) and looked out and saw two red foxes outside. He ran to get his gun to scare them away but they had already ran away by the time he got back. Me and him were trying to figure out if the foxes would've tried to eat our cat (who is full grown adult) or if the cat just wanted them out of the yard.

Anyone know??

My bf said they were almost double in size compared to our cat. That surprised me - I thought they would be cat-size. :shock:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think if they were hungry, then yes, they'd go for the cat. I think they'd have to be really hungry because a fox doesn't usually just come right up in your yard to eat. I lived in the woods for years - even saw a bear cub in the yard a couple of times, but never a fox up close unless it just happened to be running by. Be careful with your kitty.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, there were two of them right beside our house. (we live on an acerage - not in town).

I will be careful. My bf doesn't want to kill the foxes because they might have babies. So he is just trying to scare them away. We didn't let our cat outside this morning (which he will be very cranky about :roll: ) because neither one of us are home. I just didn't know if a fox could kill a full grown cat.

But we'll watch out for our kitty. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
We have a red fox that lives in the woods and I see it occasionally behind the barn. Since my cats catch lots mice and rats out there I suspect that's what our fox is after also. Never thought about the fox going after the cats but since my male cat attacked and ran off two pit bulls they're probably safe.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tinker said:
We have a red fox that lives in the woods and I see it occasionally behind the barn. Since my cats catch lots mice and rats out there I suspect that's what our fox is after also. Never thought about the fox going after the cats but since my male cat attacked and ran off two pit bulls they're probably safe.
You must have one tough cat!! :shock: I don't think you have to worry about the foxes :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Foxes *will* kill a cat. When I lived in Florida, there was a problem with foxes in my mom's neighborhood. They were killing many indoor/outdoor cats. As long as those foxes are around, I would really consider keeping your cat indoors.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NoahFL - thanks so much for the confident answer. I hate to keep my cat indoors because he is just not as happy. Maybe I'll allow supervised outdoor visits only from now on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Please be careful with foxes around your home. Foxes can carry diseases such as rabies and distemper. Foxes generally will not go near humans, so if you notice the foxes getting near you or showing unprovoked aggression, even friendly behavior, or disorientation, you may want to call your local animal control as that is a sign of rabies. I'm not trying to scare you, just be on the safe side. :)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NoahFL - Thanks so much. I will definately keep that in mind and keep an eye on things outside. I appreciate your information. thanks!
Meg

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nemochi said:
my cat likes to play with foxes we have a den in the garden behind ours but then again she is a Bengal lol
Really? wow. Does she ever come home with fleas? I heard that foxes carry a lot of fleas. That would be so cute to watch! You should try and snap a picture!!! :D

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I don't know about foxes eating or attacking cats but I do know that a opossum will attack a cat. I had a cat(my daughters cat at her dads house now) that got attacked by a opossum one time... The opossum would come into our back porch and eat the cat food... we kept hearing this wierd cat noise and one night the oppsom was on the washer and jumped down on the cat and bit her so bad onthe back of the neck that the poor cat had a big chunck of her her skin on the back of her neck and shoulders gone... We thought she wasn't going to make it but we took her to the vet and they gave us medicine and told us how to keep it clean so she would heal... boy it was terrible.

She finally healed after months of cutting dead skin and hair and giving her those shots... But 12 years later she is still running around like nothing happened... she is a outside cat now she hardly ever lets people around her.. but she is a good mouser... and she is happy living at Amandas Dads (the only home she ever had)

good luck and god bless...

please keep your cat inside until the foxes go away...

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gadget's Mom - I'm glad your daughters cat survived! We don't have oposums where I live so I don't have to worry about them. I think the foxes live nearby so I don't think they will go away. :(

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i would invest in one of those outdoor "catwalk" things that they make. if i can figure out what it is called and where i seen it i'll post a picture. it's not like an outdoor dog kennel but it kinda is like it... am i confusing you yet ;)

foxes can be dangerous, especially with the diseases that they can carry.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
luvmypuppet said:
i would invest in one of those outdoor "catwalk" things that they make. if i can figure out what it is called and where i seen it i'll post a picture. it's not like an outdoor dog kennel but it kinda is like it... am i confusing you yet ;)

foxes can be dangerous, especially with the diseases that they can carry.
I have no idea what you're talking about :wink: lol. If you find a pic let me know! I am very interested. My cat loves to go outside - he catches at least 10 or more mice a day. I would hate to keep him inside, but I would hate more to have him dead. :(

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are so cool!!! But we are renting - unless one could be built to be temperary and moved when we are done living there. Thanks for those links!!! :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i know for a fact the kitty walk can be taken with you, and with the other if you build it and not "set it" into the ground and just use stakes i'm sure it could be taken apart and moved....

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
CooperChi said:
Tinker said:
You must have one tough cat!! :shock: I don't think you have to worry about the foxes :wink:
Yeah Lucky is one tough boy. I found him at a truckstop when he was three weeks old. He was trying to get into every vehicle that opened a door. The truck stop people said he had been there for hours so I brought him home. The day he ran off the dogs he was sleeping on the tractor and two big pits came into the yard. We were outside and I have no idea if he thought the pits were a danger to us or if he just didn't like strange dogs in the yard. He took off running towards them let out that male cat battlecry and leaped for the head of the nearest dog. He rode his head with all claws extended slashing and biting at the face and the jumped to the other dog who got the same treatment. He kept jumping back and forth without ever hitting the ground or getting close enough to their mouths for them to grab him and shortly they left running and yelping. Strangely enough he likes all the dogs he knows.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts