Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering adopting the little white chi on the rescue forum.

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/adoptme18.htm

She is so sad looking! I don't want to over do it as I just adopted Pebblz a few months ago. She is now 4 months and 1 week old and pretty well outside potty trained (Wow was that alot of work). This little girl will need lots of attention I know but I don't want to sugar coat it.

1. How will my new chi respond to her
2. Will my new chi learn bad habits
3 Or will my really well socialized Chi help her adapt.
4. I have no little children and I am home all day to baby her, so that is a plus
5. Is a Chi that has never touched grass a good investment or will I be setup for heartache?

I really want to do this but I need the voices of experience. Many pets are in shelters because they were adopted without a thought. Help me.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
If it was me and I was home all day, I would take the chance. But keep in mind that I am biased toward adopting rescues. I'm not saying you should adopt that dog in particular but I'd like to try to make a case for adopting "a" rescue dog. Lily came from a puppy mill and of course she was scared to death of everything. It took a lot of time and patience to win her trust but to me, that wasn't work. It was loads of fun and challenging and so incredibly rewarding. She pretty much had zero socialization before she came to me, but since she's been in daycare she has really blossomed. She's still quite shy - always will be - but I can't tell you how thrilling it is to see her play with her friends, big dogs and small. It's like taking a kid who was deprived of their childhood and giving them a second chance to experience all the joys of a normal childhood.

There have been medical problems and with them, vet bills. Lily has had two very minor seizures (shaking episodes, not really like the seizures I've seen in other dogs), she has a mild heart murmur and she's had 3 dental surgeries. I'm not in debt but I don't exactly have a swollen bank account either. :lol: If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now... I would still adopt Lily in a heartbeat (maybe half a heartbeat). Would I love a puppy just as much? Undoubtedly, because I'm a person who adores dogs. But there is something about taking a dog who's never known love and just loving it to death.

If you can spend some time with the dog you're thinking of adopting, along with your puppy, you might get a better idea of how they will get along. In fact, I think it's essential to do that before you commit to adopting. I say, go for it. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll be as honest as I can. Adopting a puppy mill dog isn't for everyone and the last thing I want to do is to set you up for heartbreak.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
She is just adorable. With the most "intelligint looking expression. I cant offer any real advice on rescue. However, with all the wonderful people on this Forum who do have experience in this area, it makes it much easier to make that commitment. Atleast you would have a lot of moral support. :)

I spoke with my Mom today and she told me there was this little Chihuahua sitting under a Stop Sign on the corner of her street. :( She said it looked completely lost....poor little thing. If I had been there I would have stopped and picked it up. I just hope someone did.....

sandra

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you believe you can give her the best home possible, and a great new life.......get her!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think when i do finally get my male he will be a rescue... even though i said i wouldn't go that route again, my heart wants it.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all very much for the advice and the kind comments. I am going to speak to my husband again and send in the adoption form. The only thing that I worry about is shipping her in a crate on the plane. I live several hundred miles from where she is fostered. Hopefully it will not affect her too much. Pebblz would love to have another Chi around to keep her company.

Davena :wink:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
As one one of the other posters mentioned, adopting a rescue takes a lot of work, patience, love, and sometimes money. LOL - but is it worth it? Absolutely!! My chi who passed away last year was a rescue - she had been picked up off the side of the highway and taken to the shelter. I had no background on her at all, but my vet seemed to believe she came from a puppy mill. I know she had previously had several litters of puppies. Working with them to win their trust and love sometimes takes a while, but when they begin to blossom, it is all worth it.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
dastowers said:
Thank you all very much for the advice and the kind comments. I am going to speak to my husband again and send in the adoption form. The only thing that I worry about is shipping her in a crate on the plane. I live several hundred miles from where she is fostered. Hopefully it will not affect her too much. Pebblz would love to have another Chi around to keep her company.

Davena :wink:
There is a chance they won't allow her to be shipped outside her immediate area because then they're unable to do a home check or at least make sure the dog is returned to them if things don't work out. Also, you'll have no way of knowing how Pebblz will get along with Bunny. Don't get your hopes up for this particular dog until you confirm that they would agree to ship her. However, I can guarantee there are other equally needy chi's within an hour of where you live. I don't want to set off another firestorm here but you might want to check petfinder.com and see for yourself.

As I have said previously... go for it. It could be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. Truly. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Totty's Story,

Six years ago we went to our local pound to find a friend for our eldest 'girl' who's companion of two years recently died from snake bite.

The pound manager had phoned us earlier in the day about this little black and tan dog that needed a home urgently.

When the poor little mite was brought out to us, he was nearly dead from the cold (our pounds are not heated). He was also emaciated and unwell. All of his eighteen months on this Earth had been spent in Hell.

My husband picked him up and looked into his eyes. He swears the little chap said, 'Please take me with you, otherwise I'm going to die tonight.'

We looked at each other and took him home. There he was given a warm bath, food and vet. attention. He was so ill that he did 'die' that night. But we performed mouth to nose resuscitation and heart massage before rushing him back to the vet. He spent a couple of days in hospital, but gradually make a good recovery.

He is now about eight years old, cheeky and mad about bones and people's laps. He is a special little chap who has brought happiness to the many people who have got to know him.

We could have left him at the pound that day; but I feel a whole lot better that we didn't.

What are you going to do?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts