Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tiki REALLY loves to go for walks, but we lve in a rural area, and it seems like the rocks on the road hurt her feet. Does anyone put shoes on their chi? I started looking online and found several different kinds, but don't have a clue as to whether these are merely for the cuteness factor or if they are something that chis actually WEAR! Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
No.. personally i think they look stupid. Chis are dogs they don't need them on their feet anymore than any other breed does... just my view but no.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I have tried shoes, but my guys hate them. Also, they make all those shoes so big, even the itty bitty ones just slip off of a Chi's teeny feet. They are cute, though!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I bought Jake some shoes in the winter as his feet would get really cold in the deep snow but he hated them so I sent them back. I would have tried to get him accustomed to them but within seconds he learnt how to untie the laces and get them off.

I had only put them on him in the house so it was okay to return them.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would say to just be aware of where he's walking and for how long. Brody burned his pads on hot concrete last week while out on a couple of longer walks. Had no idea until we got home and then he was limping. He actually had a couple of little blisters on his pads! They healed, but it was my fault for letting that happen.

Just be aware of the terrain and stop frequently and check his feet/pads. Don't walk during the heat of the day or on concrete/hot streets. If he's walking in rocky terrain, go slowly or even pick him up until the walking is easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks so much for all the replies. As I am in NM and the rocks and blacktop get pretty hot in the summertime, I did go ahead and buy Tiki a pair of sneakers, which were relatively inexpensive. That way if she hates them, it's not the end of the world. They zip up the back so maybe they will stay on longer for 30 seconds...or not! :rolleyes:

I'd actually read the post about poor Brody and his blisters last week and wondered if Brodysmom had gotten him some kicks. :) We'll see how Tiki does with them. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i bought a pair of high quality dog boots, i think they were called Mutlucks. i thought for the winter when it snows my girls would be able to stay out longer if they had boots on. Well, the girls would not even let me put them on them. so the store had a good return policy and i sent them back. i wish they would of worked but they didnt for me.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I bought muttlucks too for Winter use. My pups go outside to go to the bathroom and I thought the muttlucks would be good for Winter. Didn't quite work out like that though, hehe. They hated them, plus they wouldn't stay on and kept coming off. Pip wouldn't even walk in them, he would just stand there and stare at me as if to say "You've got to be kidding me." :lol: Now I just shovel a patch and they go just fine without them, so I didn't even need them to begin with.

I hope yours work out for you, dragonsdesyre. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
The only thing I use is Musher's Paw. I put it on their feet before we walk on hot pavement or just as a general thing in the winter and it really seems to help protect them.

I bought shoes for Oakley once because I was being a mean mommy and wanted a laugh. She actually didn't mind 'em too much but they were wayyyy too big even in the smallest size I could find so yeah. No shoes for my babies!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yeah, even if one wanted to use them, it's really impossible to find them small enough for our little ones. The muttlucks I had were the smallest size and said they were for Chihuahua's but they were way too big.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
They really arent a good idea, unless its to protect an injured paw from getting dirt in it. Generally if its so hot their feet blister or so cold they freeze then they probably are better off just not going out in that kind of weather.
The only reason I could see for encouraging your dog to wear shoes is if you live somewhere they put tons of salt everywhere in the winter and you cant avoid it.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have special winter dog boots for my poodle.. but he refuses to walk in snow without them! we live in Canada so winters are bad here.
They are fleece lined and have a grippy outer sole.. I think they are amazing! you have to velcro them on very tight and they do stay just fine.. the fit is important, they have to be almost skin tight.

If the boot is falling of your dog, you have the wrong size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We get lots of snow where i live and my chi's hated the booties. They would flip them off while walking. I would put them on every night even when we weren't going outside. You have to get them used to wearing them it is like putting on thier harness when going for a walk. Now my chi's wear them without a problem...however getting them on can be a challenge sometimes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts