Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Dahlia`s vet visit a few weeks ago
he said her back teeth had a bit of tartar.
This surprized me as she eats only kibble.
He suggested I brush her teeth every other day.
How many chi people do this Im curious?
She has chew toys but isnt interested in them really.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Kibble doesn't clean teeth at all it's just a total sales ploy it's like s dying eating cookie will clean our teeth

I don't brush but I feed raw so their teeth don't need brushing I have brushed when daisy was teething and had dead rotting rat breath and used the tropicleabln gel at the back as she had a retained tooth causing tartar but it's cme out and now are clean White and shiney

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Rhonda, get you some Petzlife spray, and some enzymatic toothpaste and brush. That will get rid of the plaque for you. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I brush my chi's teeth at least 6 out of every 7 days in the week. Once you get the habit down it really is not too difficult and it takes only a minute or two per dog. I follow up their tooth brushing with Petzlife Oral Care spray or Gel, and they get raw-meaty-bones 3-4 times per week, as well as bully sticks or things along those lines. I sometimes use the C.E.T. Hextra Premium chews, they have chemicals (safe ones) that combat tarter.

Kibble will definitely not do anything to stop tarter from building up, that's the biggest bunch of hooey ever unfortunately. By age 1 Oakley had horrible tarter buildup because I thought the same thing and her teeth were crowded anyway, but yeah, as soon as I started brushing and using the sprays/gels, and had the extra retained baby teeth removed, we've been golden.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I brush Zoey's teeth with Petzlife. Her teeth have gotten drastically better with raw but her molars are still yucky, but improving. I try to brush once a day, but sometimes it's every other day. I also brush with CET Enzyme Toothpaste Beef Flavor. Also Zoey gets a Natural Balance treat with Petzlife on it at bedtime, learned this trick on a yahoo group. She does it with toothpaste though, but I do the Petzlife. It helps because it's the last thing your dog eats before bedtime so it will have time to work overnight.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
This is what I found: Sure crunchy kibble can remove some of the plaque near the tops of a dog’s teeth. But it’s completely ineffective within the critical zone near the gumline. And that’s where plaque and tartar do their ultimate damage… causing cavities and gum disease. So that is why it's important to brush your dog's teeth.

Unfortunately kibble 'cleaning' teeth is a myth that's been propogated a lot by the big Pet Food Companies.
Here is an article with studies on how the 'kibble' does or does not clean teeth:
Little Big Cat

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sarah & her phone lingo again. LOL What she was saying is "it's like us saying eating cookies will clean our teeth". Kibble does nothing for teeth & causes build up. :)

I used to brush my Chi's teeth when we fed kibble & Matilda still had HORRIBLE tartar build up at her 1yr check up. Before her spay I used a metal dentil pick & scaled her teeth myself. I don't recommend this unless your Chi is SUPER good about letting you in their mouth & you have a really steady hand! But we got ALL the build up off that way.

Feeding raw now I never brush teeth. I'll scrape the occasional soft build up off with my finger nail when needed but that's it & with the exception of Maya (who had DISCUSTING build up when we got her) who has just a tiny bit of build up left. The raw bones she's been eating since we had her have cleaned them up nicely.

I think I may get some of the petzlife spray just for something a bit added. I don't find it necessary but to just be on the safe side since my crew is getting not UP THERE in age...but Milo & Matilda will be 3 in Dec. I'm very proud of my crews teeth though...they have a fab white smile...backie molars included! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
wwe brush peanut's teeth once a week, especially since he's still losing his baby ones. cookie won't let us do hers, resulting in 3 teeth that broke. surgery to remove them would be $500.00, which we don't have right now. but the vet said she'd be fine if we don't do anything.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Im getting her the things suggested including raw bones.
Do they sell them at the meat shops?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You can but the RMB's at the grocery store or butcher. What I use for my crew are Cornish Hen pieces, Beef/Pork Ribs & Pork Neck bones. You want to feed them raw DO NOT COOK them and just let her go at them. It's not necessarily the bone that cleans the teeth but all the ripping, pulling, chewing on the meat that helps kind of 'floss' the teeth, the bones help too though.

Here is a Video of Zoey enjoying her '1st' Rib Bone:
My Little Carnivores: Zoey's First Beef Rib

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am interested in getting safe bones for her like beef bones.
There is a place here called Keystone Meats but their phone
numbers dont work.I know they are in business as I go by there
sometimes on fridays.Im going to drive over and talk to them.
I got $9 to my name today.Hope its not more then that till tomorow!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I am interested in getting safe bones for her like beef bones.
There is a place here called Keystone Meats but their phone
numbers dont work.I know they are in business as I go by there
sometimes on fridays.Im going to drive over and talk to them.
I got $9 to my name today.Hope its not more then that till tomorow!
I would be careful with beef bones as they can be very dense (here beef is pricey too) pork ribs are good a are lamb as they have to really work

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have enzymatic paste and a brush. Leila is psycho when i try. :( So i haven't been doing it. I want to keep trying but want to learn about these other things to try.
what about the stuff you put in their water?
We use the water additive as well, this one:

Fresh Breath Water Additive - Preventive Maintenance for Fresh Breath and Clean Teeth Its all natural which is what sold me on it, some of the others have nasty colorings and crap that a dog just doesn't need.

I think it mostly helps maintain healthy teeth/gums, but it isn't aggressive enough at all for already problematic teeth. I notice that it helps with any bad breath, my chis genuinely don't have bad breath, but when I stop using this it gets a bit worse. It takes 3-4 weeks to notice a difference though so don't give up :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts