Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More questions, and I haven't even got the little guy home yet!

Just wondering how many people actually do clean their Chi's teeth. The last time I had a dog, it wasn't something that anybody really did, but it seems to be yet another of the latest trends in animal care. If it really does help a lot then I will be happy to do it if it means my little Harry sees the vet less or has fewer problems to cope with.

So, if you do clean them, what do you use to do it? Finger brush? Finger? Other method?

What age did you start doing it?

Any recommendations for doggy toothpastes?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Chi's are notorious for having problems with their teeth.. a lot of them retain their puppy teeth which can lead to tartar, bad breath and loosing teeth eventually from decay.. I raw feed Daisy so the raw meat and bones generally act like a toothbrush and toothpaste.. However since she's been teething and her breath smells like someone has crawled in and died in her mouth i've been brushing her teeth every other day. She doesn't like it.. she fights me but never wins... i have some minty doggy toothpaste (you cant use human stuff) coz i didn't like the thought of poultry breath hahaha.. anyway i use a dog tooth brush as those baby teeth are sharp and just scrub away.. i do as much as i can but i have to deal with getting around her tongue as she's too busy trying to lick off the toothpaste.

Yes i would recommend it.. i'd do it from day one to be honest.. set him up fromt he beginning of how you expect him to be.. just do things gently and don't go in there all guns blazing.. introduce him to it.. he has to associate it with something positive (like a yummy treat after)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yes I do. After Cookie having most of his teeth out I've learnt my lesson.

I use doggie triple action toothpaste and a double head doggie toothbrush. I used to use a rubber finger brush but a proper brush is much better.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is raw fed too, so I don't clean his teeth. His food does which is one of the perks of raw feeding.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes, I brush both Pip and Roo's teeth with doggie toothpaste about every other day. At first they balked and it took them a bit to get used to, but they're pros at it now. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have also heard good things about petzlife gel and oral solutions. They are supposed to do a really good job on tartar and build up.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your comments. It sounds as though I'd better put toothbrush and toothpaste on my Chi shopping list... just as I thought I'd already bought everything I needed for his first few weeks!

For those of you who mentioned a raw diet... can you tell me more about the one you use, as there's so much info on the net, it's sometimes difficult to work out the good stuff from the bad. I'm wondering if it's similar to a cat raw food diet...

Although kibble (Hill's Science Diet) was always out for the cats anyway, my Burmese cat hated most commercial cat food and although we tried just about every brand of the best cat foods available, he preferred to catch his own rabbits, squirrels, mice etc. which he lived on most of his long life (I live in the country where there is an abundance of furry prey). Our vet told us it was the best diet he could possibly have, and referred to it as a 'raw diet'.

He stocked some commercially available bags of frozen crunched up raw bones and flesh in the vet freezer, which he sold to owners of cats who were not so good at hunting, or who didn't have as much opportunity to catch their own food. He said that as they chew through fur, skin and bones it helps to clean their teeth naturally. For that reason, I never had to try and clean my Burmese cat's teeth, and he had never had to have them cleaned by the vet, as they just didn't seem to get tartar like other cats have had on theirs. (Interestingly, this little cat was the most domesticated and loving cat you could ever imagine, and actually didn't even go out as much as the other cats do!)

So I'm wondering if the canine version of a raw diet is something along similar lines. And no, I'm not expecting my little Chi to go out and catch his own food, LOL! Although I bet he'll have a go when he sees just how many rabbits we do have hopping around in our back garden :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I brush Brandy's with an electric Crayola toothbrush. It is rounded and is the perfect shape, it makes brushing much easier.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://cart.jbutler.com/sc_images/products/2270%2520Crayola%2520Power%2520Naked.jpg&imgrefurl=https://cart.jbutler.com/store.php%3Fcrn%3D228%26rn%3D503%26action%3Dshow_detail&usg=__tGVF2HagzrZSMdwLPAzOuWUbqP8=&h=3000&w=708&sz=151&hl=en&start=3&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=DinznfON53ToTM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=35&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrayola%2Btoothbrush%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial%26tbs%3Disch:1

This is the one, sorry for the long url.

I just pull the side of her mouth back with my finger and the toothbrush does the rest. I rotate between doogie toothpaste and Petzlife.

Merlot will not tolerate the electric toothbrush, so I use a tiny human baby toothbrush.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. It sounds as though I'd better put toothbrush and toothpaste on my Chi shopping list... just as I thought I'd already bought everything I needed for his first few weeks!

For those of you who mentioned a raw diet... can you tell me more about the one you use, as there's so much info on the net, it's sometimes difficult to work out the good stuff from the bad. I'm wondering if it's similar to a cat raw food diet...

Although kibble (Hill's Science Diet) was always out for the cats anyway, my Burmese cat hated most commercial cat food and although we tried just about every brand of the best cat foods available, he preferred to catch his own rabbits, squirrels, mice etc. which he lived on most of his long life (I live in the country where there is an abundance of furry prey). Our vet told us it was the best diet he could possibly have, and referred to it as a 'raw diet'.

He stocked some commercially available bags of frozen crunched up raw bones and flesh in the vet freezer, which he sold to owners of cats who were not so good at hunting, or who didn't have as much opportunity to catch their own food. He said that as they chew through fur, skin and bones it helps to clean their teeth naturally. For that reason, I never had to try and clean my Burmese cat's teeth, and he had never had to have them cleaned by the vet, as they just didn't seem to get tartar like other cats have had on theirs. (Interestingly, this little cat was the most domesticated and loving cat you could ever imagine, and actually didn't even go out as much as the other cats do!)

So I'm wondering if the canine version of a raw diet is something along similar lines. And no, I'm not expecting my little Chi to go out and catch his own food, LOL! Although I bet he'll have a go when he sees just how many rabbits we do have hopping around in our back garden :)
Sounds like your kitty was on a do it yourself prey model raw diet! How awesome! The only thing that would concern me would be parasites, but it's amazing what a raw diet can do in terms of health and longevity. :)

I wrote up a post on prey model raw feeding. The post has gotten quite long, feel free to join in! Or start another thread if you'd rather. The first post has the information on how to get started if you're interested in learning more about raw diets. The links there are a good read also ....

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=49576

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Another raw feeder here so my pups teeth are nice & white as well. But when I first got Matilda I brushed with doggy tooth paste we got from the vet & an infant/toddler tooth brush. We did that until I got up to 4 pups & then it became too much so I started scaling their teeth every few months with a human metal scraper/pick. Raw is so much easier - it's one of the biggy reasons why we switched to raw. I can't add anything to the thread Tracy put together (I still go there & read through on occasion!) so it would be a great place to start if that's the route you want to go with your new baby! :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I feed my chi's raw and a dehydrated raw. They don't have any problems with their teeth. All four have tarter free teeth and fresh breath! Take a look at Brody's Mom siggy. Brody is an excellent example of how a raw fed dogs teeth can look. :)
If raw feeding isn't an option, and brushing your chi's teeth is just not working out for you, I would recommend a product called Leba lll. You simply spray it on their tongue. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi guys! I hear so many people talking about feeding there chi's raw food. My chi has horrible teeth and I have tried for over a year to get her on raw food, I took samples from all over, I tried everything and she HATES it, I tried to mix it in with her hard food, nope.... She just went hungry and you cant really leave raw food out for days to see if they will get hungry enought to eat.

She wont eat any raw bones, nothing....

I really would love her on raw food. Any advice on making a chi raw food lol

Shes 5 years old

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I started using Tropiclean gel for tarter removal on Oakley recently and it's working really well. I like it because it's a "natural" alternative...but wow, I wish I'd never let her teeth get this bad in the first place.

Now, we are starting a brushing regime with all our little guys. Just isn't worth the problems later on =) TRIGGER HATES IT!

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hi guys! I hear so many people talking about feeding there chi's raw food. My chi has horrible teeth and I have tried for over a year to get her on raw food, I took samples from all over, I tried everything and she HATES it, I tried to mix it in with her hard food, nope.... She just went hungry and you cant really leave raw food out for days to see if they will get hungry enought to eat.

She wont eat any raw bones, nothing....

I really would love her on raw food. Any advice on making a chi raw food lol

Shes 5 years old
You may want to start your own thread, but here is a really good thread to read through on feeding raw

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=49576

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I started using Tropiclean gel for tarter removal on Oakley recently and it's working really well. I like it because it's a "natural" alternative...but wow, I wish I'd never let her teeth get this bad in the first place.
I've heard of Petzlife but not the Tropiclean gel. (Although I use their shampoos) Does the Tropiclean gel have grain alcohol in it?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I use an enzyme gel and follow up with spray, brush his teeth with an Oral-B electric that has the brush -head shortened. It is soft and small and get right in there. Rico isn't a huge fan but he tolerates it because he KNOWS that I am in charge of the toothie hygene--LOL.

When he was a baby and teething I did more often now I even skip a day once in while..but not often.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts