Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Max over 6 months now and more and more we are starting to have to speak in code around him as he knows too many words!!

We have to try and avoid using the word 'walk' if we're not actually taking him out as otherwise he gets excited and then we feel terrible if we're not actually taking him at that time! So now if we're talking about going for a walk or about something that happend on a walk then we have to call it a 'W'.

It's the same with the word treat, and if one of us is asking the other if Max has had his tea then we have to call it his 'evening meal' otherwise he thinks he's getting fed!

I just wondered if anyone else has to do this?!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Haha, it's same for us.

When I talk with my partner about his food we are not actually saying food as he will go mad whenever we say "food or foody". Same about when we talk about "treats or treaty".
Our dogs are just too smart ;).

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
lol! hasn't happen to me yet, my chis are with me since a little over a month. But that's quite funny!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sophie hasn't unintentionally learnt any words yet, but my friend had a pomeranian that looooooved carrots. We had to start spelling it out, and eventually she figured out that C-A-R-R-O-T meant carrot, so then we had to start calling them 'them orange things' lol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm happy to hear that Chis are so smart! I have to spell around my dogs and I have had to change words that I spell. Or, and I know this sounds dumb, I text so they can't see what we are discussing. Yes, we text in the same room so the dogs won't hear our key words.

Words they know even if spelled (or maybe its the fact that they have learned spelling means something good?)

Eat
Walk
Go
Both of my daughters names
Treat
Bye bye

I have confused my daughters and husband by spelling too quickly in the middle of a sentence and the dogs would perk up, ha! So now we all text for those discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free I LOVE THIS FORUM!

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Haha - yes all the time - the usual ones like walk, coat, treat, family names etc - which we have to spell out - but as some of you say they are even beginning to cop on with the spelling - especially Biggles with his B A L L !! which isn't surprising as they can understand sentances.

"will I feed you guys?"
"do you guys want to go outside?"
"Will we head out for a walk?"
"Where's your leads?"
"Come on lets watch tv"
etc etc.... they are smart little dogs!

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Haha... That's so funny and cute! We don't have to spell any words, don't know if we will eventually. He does seen to understand sentences though. If he's trying to get at food I'm eating that it's ok for him to have I say 'that's not how we get treats, is it?' and he sits down and waits patiently. He normally does this but if I go to long without giving him anything he'll put his paws on me. He also puts his weight on your arm to try and get whatever is in your hand. Also sometimes when he pees half of it will be off the puppy pad so he'll come over for a treat and look at me expectantly and if I say 'you missed a bit' he'll go over, sniff the bit that's not on the pad and then look at me in a disappointed way as if to say 'oh yea'.

Oh, I also have to avoid making my keys jangle otherwise he thinks we're going out.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe, I'm so glad it's not just us that does this then!! At least Max hasn't figured out spelling yet. And texting in the same room just so the dogs don't know what's going on, that's hilarious!! :D

The main sentance Max has worked out is when my hubby says he's 'just going out for a bit'. When he says that Max will run off and curl up as if he's asleep or something. So cute :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Great THREAD!! YES, Yes, & Yes!! My chi even knows how to spell, so I can't even say the word. All the words she knows that I can think of:
Chicken
Walk
Go to bed, sleep
toys
Ziwi
hungry, eat
poopy, pee pee
car ride
treat
carrot
& many many more

We've tried spelling treat & her ears perked up, then she went crazy. I couldn't believe it.

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Oh yes Lianne, hubby and I have to either spell certain words or be creative and
come up with new ones. Hungry, food, treat and walk are the worse because we
use them so often, we have to always remember to switch it up. Instead of
asking hubby if he's hungry or if he wants some food, I'll ask if he is
munchy, etc. Or I'll spell it saying F...O...O...D....lol We are so used to it that at
times do this with other people too, lol.:lol: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Yeah we have to use code names for the family. Otherwise, D will get all excited, looking out the window or running to the door barking, thinking her favourite people are there.

Same here! I can't even say my brother's name out loud without the pups getting super excited. (they loooooooove him) :love2:

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Hungry, Bambi (what we call his Ziwipeak), Walk, Car, Day Care are ALL off limits in my house. Toby gets soooo excited. I have to spell them, even when I am on the phone. And School is a BAD word in my house, because I usually tell him I am going to school in the morning. Grandma upsets him cause he misses his Grandma, and if I talk to him about Aunty Chelle he gets sad.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think we may have to start spelling... Zero LOVES my Mom's Rat Terrier, Gideon. If I say "Are we going to see Gideon?" Zee starts licking my face excitedly.
We also are trying to train him to ring bells when he has to go outside. He rarely rings the ones downstairs, but if my husband and I are at the front door getting ready to go out, Zee will paw at those front door bells like no tomorrow! He's like, "I want out! I wanna' come! Take me with yoouuuuu!" Lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts