Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my chi I got him purina puppy chow he didnt seem to like it so I bought him iams in the yellow bag. He's been on it for several weeks now. But his poop is almost a black color. Is it his food? is it something I need to worry about? thanks

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: I feed Stinky Eukanuba puppy (same makers as iams) and his poo is really dark brown. It turns even darker when it dries up almost black and sometimes black...i personally think is just the food but a talk to your vet couldn't hurt!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've tried many different foods and I recall the Iams and Eukanuba made his poop dark and very hard. He's on Solid Gold now and it's much lighter and has alittle more moisture. Solid Gold just got a new line called "Wee bits" and Zeus LOVES it.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It's probably the food but does he seem to be in any distress?
If not, and he likes it I wouldn't worry about it.
On your next vet visit ask them. Or if you are really concerned, call the vet and ask them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! Don't buy Eukanuba or IAMS products. Go to www.iamscruelty.com you'll see why. IAMS and Eukanuba are the same company, and they are terrible to animals. Please go and get educated about all the abuse that goes on at Iams testing facilities, I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I'm a big animal rights advocate :) I don't believe in animal testing, if you want to know what I'm talking about please visit www.iamscruelty.com You'll be glad you did :wink:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here is some helpful information if you decide to return any IAMS or Eukanuba products you purchased before learning about their animal cruelty.
Did you purchase an Iams product just before learning about the company’s cruel laboratory experiments on animals? Does Iams’ testing policy make you sick? If so, we encourage you to get a refund. Most retailers will allow you to return items for a full refund or exchange, even if the item has been opened and used and/or you do not have a receipt.

One of our members has also informed us that Iams will provide refunds to people who request one on the grounds that they object to Iams’ laboratory tests on animals.

By returning Iams products, you are letting the retailer and the company know that you will not support animal abuse. Be sure to tell them that you are returning the item because Iams conducts cruel laboratory experiments on animals. Also, remember to take Iams literature with you to the store and encourage the manager to stop selling Iams products and to stock cat and dog food that is not tested on animals in laboratories instead.

Check with your local retailer for more information about its refund policy.

Below are the refund policies of several national chain stores that sell Iams products.

· Costco
Will provide refunds for opened or unopened items without a receipt (must be a member).

· Kmart
Will provide refunds for items with a receipt or if the items were purchased with a credit card, debit card, or check.

· PETsMART
Will provide refunds for already-opened items with a receipt.

· Kroger
Will provide refunds. It’s up to store manager if there is no receipt or if the items have been opened.

· Target
Will provide refunds for items with a receipt.

· Wal-Mart
Will provide refunds for items with a receipt. It’s up to the store manager if the items have already been opened.

· Winn Dixie
Will provide refunds for items with a receipt.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok if you check out that site and go to what can I do . it will give you all kinds of email addys to write to to object to this.

I had NO idea this was going on. Thanks for the info youve stoped 1 more person from buying it casue I wont anymore. And to think my dh works at walmart and in pets alot and recomends this food. i will tell him to tell them the truth now when they ask him about it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so what are sme other good puppy foods good for chis then? one not animal tested I know it gave some on the site but ive never heard of those. Lets try something from wal-mart ?!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't know about the food walmart carries... But if you go there and see what they have, write it down then come home and look them up on PETA's webiste. www.PETA.org , I personally love BilJac and Nutro Natural Choce Puppy made with Lamb and Rice. BilJac is good for chi's because it has a high sugar content which is perfect for small breed puppies. I've never used anything else because of the luck I've had with those brands, both my pups have beautiful shiny, thick coats, and are in great shape. A lot of food that is sold at retail giants such as walmart and target are high in fillers such as corn meal. Just do some quick research on the internet and I'm sure you'll find something that will work for your furbabie :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I never fed my dogs IAMS or Eukanuba, but I did feed Science Diet (and have no idea if that brand belongs to any of those distributers) but I have come to find out that those dog foods arent very good nutritionally. I wish I could find the link I had saved talking about the 10 best dry dog foods on the market, but two that come to my mind are Solid Gold and Wysong (which is what I feed my dogs). They are not tested on animals and are more nutritious then the others. I have noticed big changed in my dogs since I have switched...they seem to have more energy, their coats are better looking, Kylie is loosing weight on it (which is a good thing :wink: ), and my mother's dog isnt getting sick anymore. He would get sick once a month and we found out it was from the Science Diet. My mom did try Eukanuba before the science diet :shock: and that made him sick too.
I am sure if you start a new thread asking about good quality dry dog foods you will get a lot of suggestions.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I posted this awhile back in 'Chi Chat' under the subject "Best Food."

I wrote to Iams/Eukanuba about concerns some people have with their company. Here is the reply that I received today:

Dear Cathy:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about our nutritional feeding
studies. You've received some incorrect and outdated information. An extreme
activist organization continues a misleading campaign featuring footage
that's more than a year old of a facility we no longer use. This inaccurate
account includes examples of dogs and cats that were not part of our
studies, and makes claims of activities that we never authorized.

We want to be perfectly clear: Iams will not fund or participate in any
study requiring or resulting in the euthanasia of cats or dogs. This
principle is just one of eight points in our strict research policy that is
approved by an independent Animal Care Advisory Board. The members of our
Advisory Board are from respected animal welfare organizations such as the
ASPCA and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). We chose these
individuals because they share our interest in reducing, refining, and
replacing animals in research.

In addition, the Advisory Board conducts unannounced visits to review the
care and welfare of the dogs and cats participating in our feeding studies
at our internal and external sites.

To see a summary of recent facility reports, to view video footage of
animals in our care, or to review our research policy please visit our web
site at www.iamstruth.com.

You can also see a facility report by utilizing the following URL:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=iamsresearch

Other important information we'd like to share:

We support the ultimate elimination of laboratory feeding studies as
scientifically valid alternatives become available. Iams is actively working
with external partners to develop new research methods in pet nutrition
which do not require laboratory feeding studies.

We are taking full responsibility for the destiny of all dogs and cats that
participate in our feeding studies at both internal and external sites. Our
dogs and cats are either adopted into loving homes or placed in the Iams
retirement center when they no longer participate in our feeding studies.
This is unprecedented in the pet arena; we know of no other company that is
taking this level of responsibility for the ongoing well-being of all dogs
and cats with whom they work.

We are proactively sharing the Iams Welfare Program for dogs and cats in an
effort to make it the norm. An Iams Behaviorist has shared our socialization
and enrichment program with shelters, veterinarians and others to illustrate
that it's possible to enrich and socialize in such an environment. In
addition, we recently presented our program to others in the pet food
industry. We are committed to continual improvement in this area and are
looking to adopt best practices in animal care and nutritional research
wherever they are created. We will continue to actively search and reapply
good ideas from around the world.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and for giving us the
opportunity to respond with the facts. If you need further information or
have specific questions, please visit the Web site or contact Consumer Care
at 800-525-4267. One of our advisors will be more than happy to speak with
you about this very important issue.

Sincerely,
Sharon
Iams Consumer Care, North America

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D :D likewise :D :D

I remember that thread...and like I said then...I LOVE ANIMALS, so I'm pretty sure some foods react COMPLETELY different on each dog but so far Stinky eats all of his food, he's healthy and shiny and I see no reason to change his Eukanuba puppy. And again, like i said before, I believe PETA is an extreme group and personally I would question their veracity(true telling) 'cause if I was ssooooo into animals I wouldn't mind EXAGGERATING some facts if the END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS!

P.S. Please don't hate me! :D :D :D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I agree Vala.............I dont believe it either I trust Iams and I believe it is a good foods I have always fed it my cat and I usually feed wet food but I always leave a bowl of Iams down for my 2..............dont hate me either :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D :D Feed them WHATEVER THEY LIKE...whatever makes them healthy, shiny, and most importantly HAPPY! If you must try different brands make sure you read the nutritional intake that's what really matters because not all dogs are the same and like I said whatever makes your dog a healthy dog might make another one sick!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I feed Elle Science Diet that was given to me by my vet (free 5 lb bag...yay!). Elle absolutely loves it!

Btw, I'm not sure about that whole Iams situation...all I know is sometimes PETA tends to over-exaggerate things to make them look a lot worse than they really are, and the authenticity of that video really can't be proved. WHOEVER did that stuff is obviously very cruel and horrible, but I can't be convinced that Iams does that. I also can't be convinced they do. I am 110% against animal cruelty, but I'm also not quick on jumping the gun either. - Shrug. - I would call your vet and ask what they recommend to feed your pup...try that and see how it works!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
ozzysmom said:
I agree Vala.............I dont believe it either I trust Iams and I believe it is a good foods I have always fed it my cat and I usually feed wet food but I always leave a bowl of Iams down for my 2..............dont hate me either :)
...................I have spoken to so many Eukanuba people on the phone about this and each time i have felt very happy with what i am told, i trust them too and to tell you the truth i think it is all a farce made up either by other food companies or by other people for other reasons. I have used Eukanuba for the past 8 years and think it is one of the best foods i can get, my dogs are healthy and have good coats, so your gonna have to hate me too! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts