Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... your chi any joint supplements?

i was wondering this because with chihuahuas being prone to knee problems and jet just having a operation on his knee.

i was looking into getting some of this:

http://www.lintbells.com/page/yumove

do you think it will be good to give to all my dogs esp jet since i already know about his joint problems??

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I give my old sheltie "Denes garlic and fenugreek" its for loads of things .Infections-skin conditions-arthritis and rheumatism.He seems fine on it. 1 pill for everything

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I give Nupro with glucosamine and chondroitin joint support to mine as a preventative measure. My vet and nutritionists recommend prevention over waiting until they already have problems to start taking action.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
So would it be ok to give that to a 5 month old and 3 year old then?
I may look into this myself, prevention is better than the cure as Val says.
Good post. xxx

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
To add : Dorothy has been on Flexadin from 8 weeks old because of her
shoulder problem ( nothing can help her shoulder but the joint supplement
helps to support her other joints etc)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Are Chi knee problems related to bad joints?? I mean to say I thought joint supplements was more helpful for bigger breeds that were prone to hip dysplasia, arthritis, etc? I thought lux patella's were more genetic??
Personally I think a high quality diet and plenty of exercise will protect their joints better, Im not sure about supplements being necessary..:confused:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are Chi knee problems related to bad joints?? I mean to say I thought joint supplements was more helpful for bigger breeds that were prone to hip dysplasia, arthritis, etc? I thought lux patella's were more genetic??
Personally I think a high quality diet and plenty of exercise will protect their joints better, Im not sure about supplements being necessary..:confused:
im not sure - i thought they were genetic and can be caused from jumping around from high places.
i just thought that giving them a joint supplement would help in some way?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
im not sure - i thought they were genetic and can be caused from jumping around from high places.
i just thought that giving them a joint supplement would help in some way?
It is genetic. We do a lot of exercise and the supplement once per day. They are more like treats though than meds and not very expensive. I think $4.99 per 100.

The supplements can help lessen the severity of LP but not make it go away. Daisy has LP but it does not bother her (no limping, favoring certain legs) and I'd like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
So would it be ok to give that to a 5 month old and 3 year old then?
Terri, I certainly wouldn't hurt to start early but I don't think I'd start as early as puppy stage. I think around 3-4 years old is plenty early to start as a preventative. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Terri, I certainly wouldn't hurt to start early but I don't think I'd start as early as puppy stage. I think around 3-4 years old is plenty early to start as a preventative. ;)
We started at one year old. It was right after her LP diagnosis. We started the multivitamin at about 1 year 4 months because she started eating poop. The multivitamin stopped that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts