Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know I recently adopted Ziva the miniature pinscher puppy from my uncle who bought her at a petstore for my cousin. Anyways I found this site that does a 'free' report on your dogs breeder as long as it came from a petstore. It has information such as how many dogs/puppies they have at any given time, and if they've had suspensions/bad inspections and the results of inspections. Pretty neat report and it's free:
Free Puppy Report Have as much information as you can about the dog, regisration/parents etc. They were pretty quick, I think I submitted it on Wednesday.

Here is Ziva's Report:
http://www.petshoppuppies.com/report.asp?ID=48A1316
I got a free report on her, her breeder at last inspection (2009) had 71 Adult Dogs & 16 Puppies Up from a year ago (2008 with 48 adults. It tears my heart out that Ziva was raised like that Thank Dog no suspensions or recent bad inspections (well except for one in 2004 where they weren't cleaning up poop properly, and they had 143 dogs/puppies at that time!) but still heartbreaking nonetheless. I cried when I read her report. :foxes15: It is SOOOOOOOOOOO not fair to these little dogs to have to live like that.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It makes me feel physically sick!! There's a shop locally to me and he's vile he keeps them in a dark room and it stinks

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It's sickening, my heart breaks for those little ones.Why such things are allowed to go on without anyone batting an eye, I'll never understand.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I haven't bought any puppies from pet stores, but three of my dogs came from puppy mills and were turned over to rescue because they couldn't be sold on to the store.

Widget, my youngest IG, made it out of the mill and to the pet store, but in transit he managed to break his front leg, so the pet store sent him back. The mill kept him for another two months (planned to breed him, didn't bother to seek ANY medical attention for the leg), but he became so ill he was finally turned over to a woman in rescue who kept urging the miller to please do so. His leg didn't mend correctly so it looks kind of funky, but otherwise he's a happy, healthy little sprout.

Sprite, my Pomeranian, developed encephalitis at the puppy mill after he was vaccinated for distemper. Again, the mill kept him on for a few months without treatment and finally turned him into rescue. He's thriving on a raw diet, now, and though he couldn't even walk when he first came into rescue, he can now walk, run and climb stairs.

Lyra, my chi, has an open font and a grade three luxating patella so couldn't be sold or bred. She was turned into a small breed rescue (the same one I got Sprite from) and played so well with Sprite, she joined the swarm. She is now the house's official lap warmer (or, if you're lying down, head warmer).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mia came from a pet store. I would not do it again...but I love her dearly. She is the reason I love the breed so much.

The pet store I purchased her from is where my groomer moved to (she groomed my maltese). I saw Mia and fell in love. I wasnt even looking to get a puppy. The owner promised me she came from a home breeder in Georgia and that he would never accept pups from a puppy mill. Well...I took him on his word and brought her home. Only later was I to discover she was poorly bred. She has chronic cherry eye, 4 dew claws and weighs 8 pounds! She is only 2 so goodness knows what problems may arise in the future but Im hoping that since she is on a Raw diet...she will live a long and healthy life.

I will have to find her papers and see who her breeder was. The thing I hate the most about her being a pet shop puppy is not knowing any of her family history......what her dam and sire looked like. How her siblings turned out. NEVER AGAIN!!

Thanks for the link:)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
O the shame.
Yes, Reese came from a pet store. I knew better at the time and did it anyway. I did hope though that they didnt get the puppies from mills as the shop I bought him from is a little boutique shop selling only a few small breed puppies and attached to and owned by two VETERINARIANS!!!!! I did look up his "breeder" and there was an inspection report online where they were cited for such things as heat lamps in cages not working in NOVEMBER. Really awful and I am ashamed to have supported a mill, but I in no way regret getting him, Reese is the dog love of my life. We have been very lucky with him in that the only ill effect he has shown so far was having giardia when I brought him home, which is a parasite they can pick up by sharing water with contaminated dogs. I hope we continue to be so fortunate. He did receive regular vet care before I brought him home though as it was a vet owned and operated enterprise.
I wouldnt do it again, but am so happy I did, cant imagine my life without him.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I only bought one dog from a pet store many, many years ago. I didn't know better. My mom had adopted a cocker spaniel puppy from the pound that came home with distemper and died. She was so heartbroken. So I bought her a cute little black cocker. Daphne really didn't have any problems, lived to be 16 years old. I guess I got really lucky. I would never do it again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The only place I've ever actually seen puppies in a pet store was Hawaii, and there was an employee who was particularly mean to one who had an accident :-( They were EXPENSIVE and I think they were 'just' mutts.

All pet store animals are supposedly raised improperly. Every animal forum I've ever been on (chi, chinchilla, rat, turtle, guinea pig, etc) is dead set against pet store buying. Their philosophy is that if you stop buying, they'll stop breeding. lol well, good luck with that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will not buy ANYTHING from a pet store that has pets in it. I wont buy food, leashes, dishes, clothes, nothing. I wont support a store that contributes, either directly or indirectly to puppy mills, guinea pig mills or anything of the sort. I will go out of my way and spend more money to buy what I need from elsewhere. We have a pet store here that I frequent that do not carry pets. One time I was in the store when someone called on the phone to ask for puppies. The pet store owner educated them right then and there, explaining why they dont carry animals and even told them that they should never buy pets from a petstore and gave them the contact information for the spca locally. I was so impressed that I do all the shopping I can from her now. I agree that the business needs to make money but I will support the ones that make their $$ in ethical ways.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts