Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been really lovely and sunny here and my sister has been over with my niece so we've bee lying out in the back garden. Lola gets very hot so stays in the shade or goes in and out of the house. Tillie being my shadow will lay down either on me or next to me. She's short haired and I worry about her ears burning. I was burnt the first day after a few hours.

I've heard of cats having the tips of their ears removed due to cancer from the sun. I'm thinking of putting suntan lotion on Tillies ears. Does anyone else do this? is our human lotion safe to use?

Thanks

· Banned
10,736 Posts
Yes I do. I use children's/babies' sunscreen, I make sure it is fragrance free and
waterproof, you basically want something non-toxic and non-skin irritating, since
some pooches have sensitivities to fragrances and chemical additives. I never
put it on areas where my dogs can lick it off. If you are unsure about a specific
type of sunscreen you can ask your vet, or simply buy one especially made for
dogs.

· Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I could use my Nieces cream as she's just a toddler and hers is fragrance free and waterproof. I did think I should because on the short haired their ears are very exposed and if she's sitting out with me I doon't want them getting burnt.

Lola doesn't stay out because she feels the heat, she sits in the shade or goes inside.

· Premium Member
10,023 Posts
Yes I do. I use children's/babies' sunscreen, I make sure it is fragrance free and
waterproof, you basically want something non-toxic and non-skin irritating, since
some pooches have sensitivities to fragrances and chemical additives. I never
put it on areas where my dogs can lick it off. If you are unsure about a specific
type of sunscreen you can ask your vet, or simply buy one especially made for
dogs.
Agreed I use the same thing on Sadie as she will lay out until her belly is bright red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.