Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****' is 8.5 lbs. when he was at the vet last she said he could lose that 1/2 pound. i feed him evo which he loves. i give him 1/4 cup a day which they recommend. but the protein percentage is 42%. i 'm thinking of trying royal canin mini (he will not touch the chihuahua formula) but then i saw they have a mini light. what would you do and how long do you think it would take for him to lose a little? he is very short and stocky and does have the fat roll around his neck. he still has his waistline which is good. i'm thinking maybe only 1-2 lbs should come off. i like him being bigger but i don't want him to be overweight.

tia

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it unless your doc tells you to put the dog on a diet. You may ask if you should be concerned about the weight and see what your vet says.

Cooper weighs 10 lbs and is a chunky guy and needs to drop about a pound or two. But he's happy and, to me, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
My girls would eat themselfes to death if I allowed them.

My vet told me I had to put Kylie on a diet because she was 3lbs overweight. I did not change food (diet dog food and normal dog food dont differ much) I just cut back the amount I was giving Kylie and then substituted what she was missing with some green beans....fills her up and doesnt put on any extra pounds.

It took a good 6 months for her to loose 3lbs, but the vet said it would talke a long time because we didnt want her to drop too fast. I also up'ed her exercises too...longer walks and I didnt feed her past 6pm.

I would not put your dog on a diet unless a vet tells you too...sometimes there can be other things contributing to the weight gain

1 - 5 of 5 Posts