Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots of articles on raw. I'd love to see so e examples of exactly what people feed their little guys. Pico's ideal weight is 8.5#
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I feed Mylo ziwipeak and then a raw meal in the evening. I've only started doing it recently. I'll give him a chicken wing (but not let him eat all the bone because ZP has enough calcium). He's had a pork rib tonight. I have lean minced Irish beef which he loves too ( I use this when I need a quicker, less messy meal because he is still learning to eat on his mat. Having ZP for 2 out of his 3 meals (he's 15 weeks) it means I don't have to worry about balancing his meals. I'm going to try and vary the types of meat as much as possible. I have noticed that his stools are much smaller and more compact and less smelly after a raw meal. It's meant to be the same with ZP but I haven't pound that to be the case. Maybe because he's getting treats too? Tracy is our resident expert and lots of other people are very knowledgable too. There are fantastic links on the 'are you thinking of feeding raw?' sticky in the note section and there are lots of great pics on here...[URL="http://tinkerwolf.com/1000-raw-fed-dogs/raw-fed-dogs-1-to/#"]http://tinkerwolf.com/1000-raw-fed-dogs/raw-fed-dogs-1-to/#[/URL]

There are a couple of threads in this section I have posted recently with Alice's and a video of Mylo's first couple of raw meals.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I have raw fed for almost 4 years, started when Brody was just a puppy. I wish I'd known about raw feeding years ago as I'm positive it would have benefited our other dogs who suffered from allergies, etc.

Brody eats a variety of raw foods. I use cornish hens for his meaty bone content (10% of the diet). I fill in the rest with meat meals, aiming to keep his meals mostly red meat (which has a better nutrient profile than poultry).

He eats beef, pork, bison, venison, and lamb on a regular basis.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried to pm you tracy...
So how many timesca week does brody get rmbs? Pico has such dental issues and hes a stinky lil guy! Thought raw might help. Ill check out the sticky...
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
My x 4 all eat Raw (pre-made and/or made by me human grade) as well as ZiwiPeak. I also dehydrate my own liver, kidney & chicken fillet treats that they go crazy for.

My lot's raw consists of beef, lamb, kangaroo, rabbit, goat, chicken wings with bone in & fillets, sometimes necks & carcasses.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tried to pm you tracy...
So how many timesca week does brody get rmbs? Pico has such dental issues and hes a stinky lil guy! Thought raw might help. Ill check out the sticky...
Thanks!
oh sorry! I'll add you to my contact list. I was getting some harassing and mean PM's so I changed my settings so only friends or people on my contact list can PM me. :coolwink:

Here's a typical week if it helps to see exactly what I feed rather than just a generalization ....

Monday -
a.m.: chunk of beef
p.m.: chunk of pork

Tuesday -
a.m.: cornish hen meat with bone (a leg, thigh, breast with sternum, etc.)
p.m.: chunk of venison heart

Wednesday -
a.m.: raw egg with shell (he usually only eats part of the shell)
p.m.: beef tongue chunk

Thursday -
a.m.: chunk of venison heart
p.m.: cornish hen meat with bone

Friday -
a.m.: chunk of lamb
p.m.: salmon filet with skin

Saturday -
a.m.: cornish hen meaty bone
p.m.: venison liver and venison kidney

Sunday -
a.m.: pork rib with bone (he gnaws on the ends of the bone after eating the meat off)
p.m.: beef liver and beef kidney

Treats for training/reward: ZiwiPeak, Stella and Chewys carnivore crunch, Kona's Chips

Recreational bones for dental health: lamb neck, pork neck, pork ribs, beef ribs, meaty marrow bone (with marrow removed. Feed at your own discretion with power chewers as marrow bones can crack teeth.) Lamb ribs, chicken and/or turkey necks, chicken wings.

If I'm busy and forget to thaw something or need something quick and easy I keep ZiwiPeak on hand, as well as Stella and Chewy's. I also have a bag of bison nature's variety medallions in the freezer. Weruva is my favorite of the canned foods.

Occasional meals: When I can get it ... he loves rabbit, goat, mutton, quail, and tripe.

Edit: I forgot to add the amounts he gets. Chunk isn't real helpful. ha. I don't weigh his meals, they are eyeballed. I keep a close eye on body condition and if I can't easily feel his ribs, he gets a little less for a couple days. He typically eats about 2 ounces per meal. I don't fast or gorge, although some raw feeders do. Brody skips several meals a week, usually breakfast. I don't stress over it, he can eat or not, his choice.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I think Brody eats better than I do! :p
Funny you say that! ;) Sometimes I feel a bit guilty when I am shopping for him and loading up on meat! I don't think I could afford to feed a big dog or multiple dogs raw, or at least I would have to get creative and maybe get a couple of deer tags.

We have lucked out with friends and family giving us freezer burned meats and a co-worker always saves the hearts, livers, and kidneys of the deer he harvests and so we have a full freezer. :)

I don't buy organic meats, so I do supplement with fish oil for the omega 3's that are missing in factory farmed meats.

Feeding raw can be easy and affordable, you just have to be a little creative. :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
My two are raw fed, for about a year now. Mostly DIY, but I use Natural Instinct (complete frozen raw diet) as well, maybe every 5th or 6th week. (A 1kg tub lasts my two about a week)
They have chicken carcasses, wings or legs, pork ribs and bone in rabbit for their bone in meals, with pigs trotters and beef bones for recreational chewing.
Mostly beef, pork, chicken, lamb and tripe, plus ox, lamb, pork and chicken hearts for their meaty meals.They get an egg and a fish meal (Harley loves any raw fish, Bambi will only eat tinned pilchards etc, so we tend to use those more) maybe once a fortnight. They get a huge variety of offal, including ox, pig, lamb rabbit and chicken liver, lambs, pigs and rabbits kidneys, and pig melts (spleen) and sweetbreads. (pancreas)
They get fish oil and coconut oil, (every other day) and cod liver oil if they don't eat their liver (they are not keen)
For treats they have dried pigs/calves ears, chickens feet and dried fish squares.
I am a big believer in feeding by eye, and both mine eat more than the recommended amount for their body weights, especially Harley who struggles to keep weight on. He actually gets about twice the recommended amount.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts