Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a chihuahua soon. At first I was just going to teach him to potty outdoors but now I'm hearing that it may be better to start them on pads. Could you start them using pads them transition to pottying outdoors?

·
Banned
33 Posts
Hi,
I would just put him outside on the meadow every 1-2 hours.
If he is peeing inside, just say "no" and put him outside, for sure praise him immediately after he has done his business outside!
But I woulnd't start with the pads.
Best is to give him a treat after he has done it outside and say the word |potty|.
Mine used to know when I said "potty" that we are going outside.
Hope it works out :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I trained my dog exclusively to an indoor potty system when he was a puppy. As he built up his stamina to go on longer walks, he basically trained himself to go outside too. If I take too long getting dressed in the morning, he will use his litter box. He refuses to go outside when it's raining and uses it then too. They are very smart dogs and can be trained to do both!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My 3 chi's mostly use indoor human washable pee pads, but also do 'go' outside too. They hate the rain, snow, ice, and heavy winds---and as I have severe arthritis, it's a boon for me too.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It is totally up to you. I personally prefer my dogs to go totally outside, that's how I trained my bigger dogs and my first chi (and all my fosters). Now for a variery of reasons I use a potty pad when I am gone, but in my perfect world I would not have my dogs going inside. If you are home a lot and ultimately want your dogs to go outside there is no reason to ever use pads in my opinion. I have always potty trained dpgs by ising constant supervision, confinement when I can't watch and taking them outside often, that method does not need pads. If you want your dog to use pads sometimes (maybe you are gone longer than they can hold it, you live in an apartment, you travel a lot or whatever your reason) then training a puppy on pads can work great. No one method is any better than the other.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
387 Posts
Cai can hold it all day if he wants. He actually prefers to go outside. When I'm at school for 7 hrs sometimes, he won't use his litter box. I take him out right when I get back and he goes. Guess sometimes, he doesn't want to wait for me to get dressed. :coolwink:

When I lived in my Mom's house with my Golden Retriever, he was trained to go outside. I started with the pads first, then transitioned to outside exclusively. My Mom's house had a nice yard that was completely fenced in. I could just open the door and let him out when he got older. Living in an apartment is a bit different. The grassy area is not far from the door, but I don't like the idea of going out before first light. I didn't worry too much about going out with my Golden because he was a nice sized dog at 70lbs. Not much Cairo can do to protect me at 7lbs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For my chihuahua's first three months at his new home I should be home for a majority of the day. As I will be out of school but then I will be back in school and I'll be gone for about 7-8 hours a day. Somebody may or may not be at home while I'm gone. That's why I'm considering training him to potty indoors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is going to do both. He was papertrained but is doing great going outside so far.Too cold here on some winter days- I won't even go out. Also I think after dark I'll have him do the papers also. Took him outside tonight about 9:30 for a bedtime whiz and just as he was finishing we heard a noise over by the dumpster. He looked barked once and smartly headed for the door with me swiftly following on the other end of the leash. I'll know tomorrow if it was a bear or not. Glad he didn't just stand there and bark because no way did I want to deal with MaMa bear and cubs.

·
Registered
872 Posts
We only potty outdoors at my house! I have 2 big dogs along with my chi mix and I do not want to have to start cleaning up after the Labs!
I even thought about REALLY potty training the kitties, so I didn't have to clean up a litter box (or have the dogs sneak "treats" while I wasn't looking) :pottytrain5: But that hasn't happened yet.

Stella can hold it for a long time now that she's 2 yrs old. But when she was just little, we went out quite often. We didn't have a fenced yard at that time, so I was up every few hours and putting her sweater and harness/leash on her so she could go potty. I'm pretty sure I didn't even actually wake up a few times. I made sure to take her out regularly, whether she was showing signs of having to potty or not, any time she ate or drank, was playing hard or just woke up we went out - no matter what time it was. Now we have a fenced yard, so I just shove 'em all outside and don't let them back in until they go! With the PA weather, they usually go pretty quick - though they don't seem to mind the weather... they just want to get it done so they can play!

Now the only issue I have is when we go somewhere, she gets so excited to go that she won't potty before we leave, and then she starts crying as soon as we pull out of the driveway cuz she has to potty... KIDS!:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaannnnyway... I know some people on here do train for both, or just indoors. It's really what works best for you and your situation.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Odie uses pee pads inside just because it's more convenient for us. If we had a backyard, we would likely do outdoors instead. Totally depends on your situation and what you're comfortable with. I would recommend sticking to one though if you can, it just makes training a bit more straight forward.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
My chi's urine is almost odorless, don't know if this is just him or common to chis. Sooo, I changed my mind about indoor training and am so glad I did. Not only can he go indoors when the weather is bad, but it's more relaxing for us to be away from the house knowing he's not home needing to go out to potty. I think it's one of the great things about chis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts