Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just thought id ask this as i live in a small town with a high street where you have shops,but shops nowadays say no dogs allowed
and if i put honey in a fancy carrier people in my town would think ive gone nuts,lol
anyway what are the rules regarding taking your dog into a shop where your not allowed to either in a carrier or in your arms?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I take the little two with me in their front carrier and go into all shops except food shops, while Mike stays outside with Sully in the trolly,i got asked to leave Mcdonalds which i did, and Woolworths which i didnt! :D Most shops in my town are fine and the people want to see the chihuahuas.In Ireland i took them in a food supermarket and all the staff were wanting to see them.I did sneak them in Iceland over here when ive only got a couple things to get and could put the shoulder bag lid down to cover them but with the new carrier they have no way of hiding cept a baby cover over them, so i havent tried that yet. :D

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I've brought Bosco into Lowe's and Menards many times with him in his carrier - they really don't care if you bring dogs in those shops. You can walk in with him on a leash and they wouldn't say a word. I've also brought him into the video store, super market, and Target a few times. (Always in his carrier). No one has ever kicked me out and/or even noticed he was there!

If I am going shopping for a long period of time, I don't bring him just because I worry he will get bored and whiny.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i wouldnt take honey into a food store as she might catch something,lol
i would be scared in case she decided to take a leak or poo,lol
and i reckon she would bark
i think if your dog stays in a carrier they should go into all non food stores
its not as if your walking her on a lead.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So, for those of you that do take your chi's out alot, don't they bark at everyone??
I did sneak Lola into a state facility to fill out some papers and I was so worried they would make me leave and in fact of all days that was the first time I went into there and didn't get my bags checked. I was worried the whole time too about her barking. No one even noticed, she was in her carrier. I just worry about being in Target or someplace like that and then all of a sudden she goes on one of her barking episodes!! :shock:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I have taken Kemo lots of places but he does not have a purse thing its more of a sack and his head peeps out. Most people dont even notice, some do and make a fuss (not kicked out yet). He keeps quiet but if someone came too close then he might flip. I dont think he likes to be in there so much cause he feels vulnerable (guessing) so I always have to pet him and rub him. I wish he would just sleep but he is too darn nosy! I need him to be with me if I am going all over in a day, so he has to suck it up. I never do long shopping with him in it just quick trips :)

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I was at Hollywood Video once - Bosco was in his carrier sound asleep and while I was in line, he woke up and I think he was scared becase he didn't know where he was and he barked! :shock: He didn't go on a barking spree but he did bark once real loud. Everyone jumped! I felt bad. But then after that everyone was coming up and petting him so it all worked out OK. :D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've brought Harley to restaurants, the mall and all different stores. Usually we always want to see him, so it's always added socialization! :D The only place we ever got "kicked out of" was Starbucks. We ate in Einstien's Bagels with Harley before and the manger never said a word and I knew they all knew Harley was there. :) Sometimes it depends on the place. Most stores won't even know if you have a carrier purse. Harley never barks when I bring him anywhere, the only time was when I was carrying him into Petsmart and this HUGE dog came up to us. Guess he felt he needed to protect me. LOL! :lol:

Jessica

·
Registered
39 Posts
babyjane1968 said:
i think if your dog stays in a carrier they should go into all non food stores
its not as if your walking her on a lead.
I agree and always say this to my friends. I think bella wouldnt be as much of a barker if she got used to goig everywhere. I did take her everywhere in my purse when she was a tiny baby but when she got to standing in it and people would nitice her I began leaving her at home. I do occasionally take her to work with me but she'll let out those little muffled warning barks when she hears people in the building.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't take Sp inside of most buildings with me. I do take him to the post office, though, and he always begs for a dog biscuit from the Postlady. I took him into a gocery store once, holding him in my arms and the guy in there told me he wasn't allowed unless he was a seeing-eye dog or could dial 911 in an emergency... then he laughed like a dog dialing 911 was funny. I just looked the clerk straight in the eye and said, "No, he can't dial 911, but he can retrieve the phone already and he can push a button to call the 'I've fallen and can't get up' people." Poor clerk just about lost it thinking he'd insulted someone with a service animal which is a huge no-no.

Honestly, I was going to train Sp to be a service animal to my Mom so I wasn't lying when I said it to the clerk, at the time it was the truth. Sp's too social for a service animal, though. Can't sit still long enough.

I was just annoyed at that clerk that there was a drunk leaning against the doorway, reeking of BO and booze, begging and they were going to kick my little doggy who was just hanging on my arm being sweet and quiet out.

·
Registered
996 Posts
ive taken Sera into the bank, a couple people just wanted to pet her, i didnt like that at all cause she isnt fully vacinated, but i asked them if they owned a dog before i let them touch her.. i also snuck her into the georcery store because my mom and i were at the bank there, and she needed to get something outta the georcery store.. no one said anything, just a few ppl noticed her. I cant wait till shes got all her shots, then i can tak her everywhere (well TRY ) :lol:

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
There are so many carriers available, i prefer the front carriers as the weight is more evenly distributed but a lot of ladies on here like the over shoulder/under the arm type carrier. I would say if you live near a big petshop,see if you can try first before you buy. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
We took Chico with us today. Gander Mountain opened a new store in Houston and we went to the Grand Opening. Man did he cause a lot of attention. I had to start ignoring some people, though....."What in the world is THAT?" I was so tempted to say "It's a DOG, Stupid"

We were gone for most of the day, stopping here and there...a couple of dive shops, Wal-Mart, etc. We made sure he got regular potty breaks, food and water. He just ate up the attention but I think we may have over done it a bit. He's got a touch of diahrrea which I think is caused by all the jostling of holding, carrying and riding in the car. He played a bit when we got home then went out like a light. He's still sleeping it off!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was wondering this myself just the other day. I want to take Pip places with me, but I am afraid of getting in trouble. I know he would be quiet, and he isn't afraid of strangers. But, I get embarrassed so easily and just don't want to get "yelled" at. I was going to buy a carrier "purse" but wan't sure I could take him anywhere. Didn't want to waste the money-but I hate leaving him at home so much :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.