Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a few comments the other day made me wonder how many of us actually know what a chihuahua to standard should look like??

So what I want to know is do you think your dog is to the chihuahua breed standard??

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not quite. The breeder I got Alfie from said that although he is very good quality and of a high-standard, he is too long in the muzzle to fully meet the proper breed standard, which is why they decided against using him for breeding.

I'm actually very happy with this though, because I personally much prefer his length nose to the more snub-nosed Chi's.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Bryco is bred to standard, of course he has faults, but for the most part he conforms to it...

Oakley is the 2nd closest, but she is too tall and too thin framed. Her head would win some places here, not others. Shes too small anyway.

Trig, nope & Laurel, nope hahaha.

Trig looked standard at 8 weeks but not anymore! Either way I love him to death and he does look like a chihuahua but hes too long, lanky and tall, not to mention over-size. His head doming could be better too.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Me, too! It made me wonder and look. She looks like the pictures or drawings from charts that I see, but she is still a baby so she may change.

I'd be happy to know if someone (who knows more than me-which is really all of you!!) believes that she is or is not. She is AKC registered. Does not matter to my heart-I LOVE her no matter what she is, my precious girl!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Me, too! It made me wonder and look. She looks like the pictures or drawings from charts that I see, but she is still a baby so she may change.

I'd be happy to know if someone (who knows more than me-which is really all of you!!) believes that she is or is not. She is AKC registered. Does not matter to my heart-I LOVE her no matter what she is, my precious girl!!

She looks pretty standard. Her coat is a bit thin/single coated, many SC chis shown have nice thick double coats and fluffy tails :)

Its hard to tell without seeing her "stacked", proportion comes into it...but her head has a nice stop and altho her ears may be a tiny bit high set they are the right size and shape :)

She also looks like she'll be under the 6 lb mark as an adult.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey -- Nope, no way, no how, nu uh lol! She has roached back, fiddle front, wrong head, bad rear, and an overbite of about 1/8-1/4" But I love her just the same lol
Sebastian was pretty darn close, although was 'oversized (at 5.5#) for the ring for boys, and his personality wasn't there.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not quite. The breeder I got Alfie from said that although he is very good quality and of a high-standard, he is too long in the muzzle to fully meet the proper breed standard, which is why they decided against using him for breeding.

I'm actually very happy with this though, because I personally much prefer his length nose to the more snub-nosed Chi's.
Alfie is to standar his muzzle length would just be a fault but it's not
Overly long anyway!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Zoey -- Nope, no way, no how, nu uh lol! She has roached back, fiddle front, wrong head, bad rear, and an overbite of about 1/8-1/4" But I love her just the same lol
Sebastian was pretty darn close, although was 'oversized (at 5.5#) for the ring for boys, and his personality wasn't there.
Lol 5.5 is NOT oversize for a ring male, B at 4 # is by far the SMALLEST in the ring, some are 2x his size, and yes, I mean 8 lbs, or so, too! hehe...Zoey is adorable tho and no one would question if she's a chi or not.

Hubby tells people Trigger is a mini rotty.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I should
Answe ahhaha

Lotus - yes... Bred to standard

Daisy - not bred to uk standard hence not registered as is a
Mixed coat but she's pretty typey her topline isn't the best and she toes out a bit and her stop isn't as prominent as it should but she looks pretty close to standard

·
Registered
923 Posts
Betty has a gorgeous head, but her back is roached and she walks like a bulldog. :( Her personality and such is wonderful though.

Goose has kitten ears, and I think his nose is a bit long. Also he has an issue with his mouth/throat area inside.. totally forget what the breeder called it. :(

Oona, I think is my most standard. He face is good, her back is better than Betty and she walks like a chi should. Can't wait til her hair grows out!

That said, Betty WAS being shown and doing okay.. I don't think Oona has been shown yet. Goo will never be, too scared. ;)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
lol Nope, none of mine are to standard. Billy is nice, but his nose is too long and his ears are too big and shaped wrong. Lexxi has a nice head, but an underbite and she weighs 8 pounds. Reggie has I think the best head, but weighs 7 pounds. Tico's nose is too long without the correct stop. Twgigy's nose is too long and thick. The rest are more deer headed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i think Ollie is close, i wouldn't know for sure but from what i have read hes not far off. i just cant wait for his coat to come through :) he will always be a stunner in my eyes tho lol.......

what bout you sarah??xx

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Lol 5.5 is NOT oversize for a ring male, B at 4 # is by far the SMALLEST in the ring, some are 2x his size, and yes, I mean 8 lbs, or so, too! hehe...Zoey is adorable tho and no one would question if she's a chi or not.

Hubby tells people Trigger is a mini rotty.
Wow, when we were going to show Sebastian they were all small like 4#, at least that's what was winning.....but he didn't have the personality for it, if someone touched him he would roll over & pee lmao.

Yep, I know Zoey is VERY adorable, and I love her to pieces, she is definitely a Chi, just poorly bred.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lianne I anwered!!

Just interesting to see what people think a chi should look like and whether the understand the standards the uks is slightly diff to us were more picky I think kristi and I worked out

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hee heee.... Nope, but actually love the ways my girls look. I think everyones puppers are precious! When I bought my girls I wasn't looking for the standard, but more or less just the size and coloring.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey is 100% not to standard lol
long face
and a fe other nips and tucks
but I love her and thats all that matters
I have not met Izzy in person yet so its
hard to tell from pics but so far she looks
nice and close :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hee heee.... Nope, but actually love the ways my girls look. I think everyones puppers are precious! When I bought my girls I wasn't looking for the standard, but more or less just the size and coloring.
I suppose the reason I did this is because I got the impression some people didn't know what a chihuahua to standard looks like.. Someone made a comment can't remember exactly what it said about a dog being standard when it was miles off! I wonder if the problem is people are breeding their pets because they see the money and think oh never mind so we get allthese dogs that half don't even look like chihuahuas and because there is so many not
To standard do people actually think that's what a chi is meant to look like??

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
BIG YEP!!! Midgie sure does meet my standard! She's perfect in every way, shape and form. I wouldn't have her any other way. It's impossible to really put a standard on any type of animal, because they're all so different & that's what makes them them. lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Lo is not. haha. Love her. ;)
Finn might be... but I don't think so since he doesn't walk right, has some "hair problems", and is a down right meany!...:(
I wonder about Dexter..? His fur is long, but thin so I think that's a fault, right? Although that could fill out, so I won't dock him that point just yet! Also, technically he has been seen for a heart murmur (one said it was severe, mine said it was barely there, and another couldn't find it at all) so that's another fault. Anyone else's opinion on Dexter? No hard feelings. :D

1 - 20 of 299 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.