Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I am just coming down from paranoia with Sugar, she was a major flight risk but I don't think I will trust letting my girl off the leash for a long time, if ever. The dog park thread got me thinking about it and even though they're fenced in they are so BIG. My heart would drop if I saw my little chi take off and I had to run them down or something..

What do you guys do? Keep them on a leash at all times or are your chi's well behaved enough to let loose?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brody is never OFF lead if he's out of our yard. His recall is not reliable enough and its for his own safety. I can't tell you how many times we have been on a walk and approached by a large dog and I can swoop him into my arms in an instant with his harness on. In my opinion, they are too small to be off leash and at the mercy of bigger dogs.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have never tried them off leash, i think Daisy would stay near me, but not Darla.
I just dont fancy taking the chance.
I live in a busy area with lots of traffic anyway, even near the big parks so too dangerous IMO.
I feel bad i dont have a back garden to speak of living in a flat, i still cant let them off there cause it isnt too secure.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Brody is never OFF lead if he's out of our yard. His recall is not reliable enough and its for his own safety. I can't tell you how many times we have been on a walk and approached by a large dog and I can swoop him into my arms in an instant with his harness on. In my opinion, they are too small to be off leash and at the mercy of bigger dogs.
I agree with this. It's just not worth trusting them, then having someone or something you don't trust having the option of getting at them.

We have one field here that is fenced and we sometimes go there with our dogs when no one else is there and let them off lead, but that's about it. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Once i can trust them off lead (good recall) and were in a safe area where the dogs around us look friendly and controlled well, i will let them off.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Mine are never off leash. NEVER. I truly don't believe the vast majority of dogs can be 100% trusted off leash. Nomatter how well you think they are trained, it just takes the right distraction for them to flee. I would never risk that, especially with a tiny dog like a chihuahua.

Edit... Well, with the exception of my yard which is completely fenced and chi-proofed. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree with Brodysmom. Many of them also have a very high prey instinct and will run after squirrels, rabbits and birds--possibly into the street. I had a close call with Joey once like that, so now they are on-leash at all times unless they are in a fenced in area.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I wouldnt trust any of my dogs, even Fifi off-lead. In the town and in parts of England chihuahuas are worht a lot of money, my friends dog was once stolen and they bred her to sell the puppies, its a long harsh story, plus at the park the fences are bars not meshed, they could easily fit through, thank the lord for flexi leads!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
When we had large dogs, we let them off leash all the time! Would go to an empty field near here and just let them run. They loved it. But I'd never do that with Brody.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Guess I am in the minority here, Rocky is off lead for most of his walk in the park and along the beach, when on pavements and near roads I have him on lead.

I am lucky enough to live in a small town and you get to know the dogs that are walked at the same time as im out. If a dog comes along im unsure of he is put back on the lead.

His recall is excellent, what that boy will do for a treat, he is ruled by his stomach!!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
We even only let the huskies off if its in a fenced in garden, with a very high fence cause they can jump really high!!
They would just be gone if we let them off, so would never chance that either.

We have found one or two places with gated areas for them and that has been ok.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My breeder told me never to take a chi off lead because of the high risk of them getting taken or injured by birds of prey or other wildlife. I have to admit the "birds of prey" comment made me laugh, but I have to admit it is a possibility depending on where you live. We do have many foxes and raccoons in my neighborhood (I live in the woods), so for that reason alone I prefer not to let my chi roam free.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We do in our yard. We live in a very small village on a dead end road. I trust Matilda the most off leash but all but Marley are really good about their recall. I always have treats with me too so that helps. Marley tends to roam more & follow his nose but he doesn't bolt & lets me come pick him up if he plays selective hearing so so far I still let him off on occasion.

Until this weekend I wouldn't let them off leash anywhere else but we were at my brothers cottage with Marley & Maribelle. He lives on a lake on a dead end road. I let them off after they sniffed around a bit & got used to my brothers lab. They stayed right with me & again...I had treats just in case.

Like I said in my Memorial Day post...the little Chi Odie is never on leash, even when he's out on the town in crowded areas (such as the parade). He stays right with his owner. I don't know if I'd trust for people to not step on him or whatever though but obviously his owner is trusting of other people & so far so good. I always keep my pups on leash out in crowded areas though so I can scoop them up if danger presents itself. That's just me though. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mine all get frequent off lead time in the "dog patch" out front of my condo & at the dog park. Even when we are walking in the quiet neighbourhood across the street they get let off lead sometimes.

They are never more than 4 ft from me, and know to stay on the grass and or sidewalk, depending on where we are. Never had a problem with them. If there are other dogs they tend to stick even closer.

To each their own! :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Even though I'm fairly positive Lo and Finn would do fine off lead, I have absolutely no faith in dogs I do not know. Training is a very tedious task, and I don't believe there are many owners who take the severity of it into consideration. I would never want to run into one of these dogs while I mine were out of reach. :) Better safe than sorry, right?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am another one that never lets their dogs, no matter what size, off their leashes. The only two exceptions were my course trained Whippet at night with no one around, and my German sheppard who walked himself with the leash in his mouth and thought I still had control of him. I have had my dogs (not the chis) in dog fights even on a leash. I can just imagine the outcome if they were away from me and I couldn't intervine as fast as I did. Jodi ended up needing surgery for a bitten-through knee ligament. The other dog came up from nowhere and attacked him and I beat it off as quick as I could, but it wasn't fast enough. And he was a tough little Basenji. You just never know.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't worry about my dog's behavior off lead. I worry about the unknown dog's behavior. Quite honestly, I don't trust other owners to adequately control their dogs. Chis are little and one bite can be fatal. Mine are always on leash if we are off our property. I feel better about the dogs' safety that way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts