Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucky will go on his pad & outside, but STILL lifts his leg to pee on walls, doors, ends of furniture..
he is neutered, and he NEVER had this problem until he was about 8+mo's old.

I dont know how to correct it since he already knows to use his pad, I'm not sure why he is doing this. its SO frustrating.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
If I am not careful Smiffy will lift his legs up on things when Triny is in season, my curtains always suffered, but fingers crossed he hasn't done it in months.....

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
I have to watch both Buster and Lucky. I never let them roam my house unattended because I know they have potential to mark. :lol: I was thinking of using the belly bands. I have heard they work wonders for dogs that mark. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Teeny does the same thing. He will mark every door corner, furniture, toys that belong to the other 2 dogs, and anything that belongs to his owner (my grandaughter) Sometimes I get so upset with him. He knows to go outside, but he still wants to mark everything inside and outside. The only good the belly band does is to stop him from marking inside, but they are not a training tool. He does not mark, but now I have to change his belly band a couple of times a day because he pees on himself. Plus I need to clean him good at least once a day so he stays clean and doesn't get infections from the wet pads. I use babywipes for that, and he loves it when I clean him, only a guy. lol.............

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had this problem with my newly adopted rescue Panda. I ahve always had female dogs and was always raised with female dogs so Panda had been a learing experience for me. Like peeing and marking are 2 different things. I have had Panda for almost a month now. The 1st couple of days I caught him marking a couple things in the house. We haven't had anymore issues with marking inside though since then. He does mark all over outside.
We are still working on potty training. He has pee pee accidents about twice a week. Not to bad but I don't like dogs that are not potty trained.

I talked to a trainer at Petsmart and she told me the belly band should not be used as a training tool. All it does is keep them from soiling your belongs and furniture. She told me if I wanted to break him from marking and pottying in the house was to keep him on a leash at all times while in the house. That way if he goes to potty or mark I can catch him in the act. It's all about catching them in the act.

Let me tell you that is not easy. Panda is a high energy dog that has ADHD. :D

All I got to say is good luck!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
yup, unfortunatly its another one of those "hes a boy" quirks...

hes not peeing hes marking, to him its 2 different things. either restrict his acess and distract when you see him do it (a squirt bottle or strong no) is usually enough.

The belly bands are ok too, but you also have to have some idea of his potty time because otherwise hes going to soak straight through his belly band because you havent noticed he needs to pee lol.

Dodger still occasionally does it, but its only when im not home and the people that are arnt watching him!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Chica, who's a girl had a housetraining lapse right after she was fixed. She was about 7 months & she sneaked into our office & pooped 2 times. After finding it we blocked her entry into that room and always kept her in sight. We haven't had any problems since. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
When my daughter was visiting from Indiana, she had the smell of her dog and cats on her and her luggage, so Pedro my 2 year old male neutered chi smelled them also and regressed to peeing on the floors and hiking a leg here and there. He stopped when she left. So I believe it was the smell of a strange dog and animal that made him do it!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My boys only mark outside here at home, but when I "used" to try to take Buford to my sisters with me, (where his mama and Auntie Blue live) he marks all over everywhere in the house. Both the girls are intact, so that may be why. That's the ONLY place he marks inside, so I know it's because of the females being there.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
lalaNlucky said:
LaLa lives with me , and Lucky lives with my boyfriend, so when lucky comes over to visit his sister he marks all over the place..
the only thing he does at his house is pee on the wall by his pad but i think thats bc he lifts his leg too high and misses the pad lol
Is LaLa intact? That may be why he's doing that like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts