Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dogs wiskers? I am reading a book on chihuahua and it has a list of grooming tools and one of them is a pair of scissor to trim the wiskers. I have never hear of it before...

And another question...

Does anybody's chis have long hair around the testicla sacs? Gadget looks like he has a backwards beard...

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Bindi has a split end on her one whisker but she wont stay still long enough plus I was not sure if it would hurt?

As far as that "area" cut away I have on the PP areas and I have cut and would cut any animal that um needed it :oops:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
when my chih tzu mixes get groomed they get their whiskers cut along with the face hair. i wouldn't on chiwi, there's nothing to cut on her face as far as fur so i won't go making it a point to cut them. unlike my shih tzu mixes where it would be more work to avoid cutting the whiskers....

and she also has hair on her vulva that makes me crazy, i cut it once and she kept licking and licking down there (the sin around it is a little dry from the licking now, see what i did lol) it probably itches, hey when we shave our bikini area it itches too!

·
Registered
936 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
when my chih tzu mixes get groomed they get their whiskers cut along with the face hair. i wouldn't on chiwi, there's nothing to cut on her face as far as fur so i won't go making it a point to cut them. unlike my shih tzu mixes where it would be more work to avoid cutting the whiskers....

and she also has hair on her vulva that makes me crazy, i cut it once and she kept licking and licking down there (the sin around it is a little dry from the licking now, see what i did lol) it probably itches, hey when we shave our bikini area it itches too!

LOL...true true.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
haha that IS true !!! :D :D
i would never cut their whiskers .......it probably won't hurt them ....but i don't know.... :? don't they need them ......? ( i'm probably sounding silly :oops: )

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Cutting whiskers does not hurt dogs. Whiskers in cats are nerves and hurt cats a lot when cut or damaged, but dogs its just like their hair.
My mom has a maltese and a Lhasa Apso mix and both get groomed once a month and they get their whiskers cut.
I groom Kylie myself now (have my own cutters) and I buzz off the whiskers on her and Tequila. Ginger is too scared so I leave her alone. It doesnt bother then at all and actually they do this with the show dogs. Gives them a 'cleaner' look so I hear.
I would be scared to use scissors though around the face...my dogs get jumpy and I would hate to think if I would to accidently stab them in the eye with the scissors.
If you really want them cut I would buy a cheep pair of clippers (they sell small ones for the face and paws) and clip them off.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Dog face whiskers serve a purpose in terms of spatial recognition and feeling some sensations, but cutting them doesn't hurt them or make them tipsy or anything =)

In terms of shaving the umm..testicles...be VERY careful if you are using clippers, the skin abrades VERY easily, and it will be an interesting experience explaining to your vet why the skin on the testicles is torn. I can see it now..."I was trying to trim his backwards-beard!". On top of that it is very sensetive area, so razor burn can pop up days later and burn like HECK! When we shave to prepare for neuters, we are so careful and the dog is under anesthesia. If you must, use blut scissors and don't trim too close! =)

-Nate

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
ilovesadie said:
Dog face whiskers serve a purpose in terms of spatial recognition and feeling some sensations, but cutting them doesn't hurt them or make them tipsy or anything =)

In terms of shaving the umm..testicles...be VERY careful if you are using clippers, the skin abrades VERY easily, and it will be an interesting experience explaining to your vet why the skin on the testicles is torn. I can see it now..."I was trying to trim his backwards-beard!". On top of that it is very sensetive area, so razor burn can pop up days later and burn like HECK! When we shave to prepare for neuters, we are so careful and the dog is under anesthesia. If you must, use blut scissors and don't trim too close! =)

-Nate
Spoken like a man. You can almost see Nate wincing as he's typing this. :D

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Haven't heard of trimming whiskers before and don't think I would ever attempt that myself. Too close to the eye area.

I have trimmed the hair around the vulva area on Jasmine a couple of times strictly for sanitary reasons because it got so long. However, I used blunt pointed scissors rather than a trimmer and did not cut it close.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nate, I would never shave them... I would just trim them close but not too close... I have to trim his wee too... It gets really long and it stays wet for a long time..

I would never cut his whiskers. I was just wondering why they would say that in the book...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts