Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a carseat for Gadget... does any body have one for their dog? if so can you post pictures?

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I dont have one but I have seen them at petsupermarket it attaches to your carseat & it has like a mesh zippup cover so your doggie doesnt jump out of it. its real neat but Tader would rather sit in my lap while I drive.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I have one but my cameras battery is missing so I cannot post a photo. I got mine at PetCo and I love it!!! It has a hook in the seat that clips to the harness to keep them in the seat and it has them sitting high up to look out the window. I love it!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been looking at them but I am not sure which one I want to get... I like 2 different kinds. 1 is like a bed that is high and it sits on the seat and it is seat belted in and then you clip the dogs harness to it. and the other one attaches to the back of the seat. it is adjustable in height. There are pros and cons to each one of them. and there is a major difference in price. I am not sure which one would work best inmy car...

The nice thing about the one that attaches to the back of the seat is that when someone is in the front seat we can turn it and but it on the back of the front seat. but then I'm notr sure if he will like that because if he gets used to being inthe front that could cause a problem when he is in thae back. the other one that sites on the seat is a good one because it can go inthe middle of the front seat, but we would have to move it to the back seat when Mark is driving. because has to have the seat pushed all the way back. the front seat is a split bench.

what should I do... wish I could put them both int he car and check them out before I buy one...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm getting one this weekend. right now she stays in her pouch that i wear. but it's not very safe like that for her so i am going to get a seat.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i actually made on out of some webbing and a plastic basket. the 2 webbing straps go over the headrest and then for extra security i thread the seatbent through too and i got an old leash cut it down short to the clip end and attatched it to the plastic basket, this clips onto vixies harness, i then made a big thick cushion with ties on each corner to tie it to the basket. (easy to remove for cleaning) once clipped in vixies at exactly the right height to look out of the window, shes clipped in safe and cant be climbing all over the car (and me while im driving, its also real easy to just unclip the seatbent and lift the seat out if theres passengers in the car. it can also be used in the back (which is a bench seat no headrest) with just the seatbent slipped through the sides of the basket.
i dont have a pic right now but when the rain stopps ill go get some pics for ya. it works great, vixie loves it and its much safer than having them lose or on your lap while driving.
my thought on it, be it a special seat or just a doggy seatbelt...you wouldnt drive around with your 6month old baby lose in your car...so why risk it with your furbabies...

if you look on ebay theres a few homemade style dogy seats that will give you some ideas of how to make one yourself.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THank you foxy, I would love to see pictures of it... I actually kinda of made one. I took a couple of those laundry hampers. the hanging bag type, and made a frame. I actually put his bag in the bottom of it and on top I put his fuzzy bed he likes and I can strap it in the seat with the seat belt.. I just have to figure a good way to secure the bed to the cframe now... I have a bungi cord strap around it but that is not that stable.. I haven't done a clip strap yet but I do like your idea of the leash shorted.. I might even have some of that strapping I could use for it... I actually like your basket idea.. and then it will hang from the back of the seat.
now my brain is churning.. hehehehhee

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok this is a mock up. I have to do alittle resizing the frame and then sew tthe straps and then I am done.... Mark is going to come hom and help me figure out how to cut the frame to size.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Gadget is so adorable...that looks like a great solution. I'm going to have to show it to my fiance so he can make one for Charlie :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mark is goign to take it to work with him tomorrow andcut the frame to size. then I am going to glue the frame together so it doesn't fall apart and then Gadget will be riding in style safely.....

The nice thing about it is that if someone is riding in the front seat I can hang it from the back of the front seat so he can still see out the window...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
wow great job! my problem is they are all for passenger seats and i don't want to make my human companions sit in the back when they are with us.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I love the Fido-Rido!!! I saw them on ebay and they look great. It also holds two small dogs. It fits in the backseat of the car. It got very high marks for safety and easy to use.

sandra

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used Gadgets carseat today for the first time... HE seemed to like it.. I tried it hanging from the back of the front seat. and he liked it ok, but it was like away from me..

then I went and picked up Amanda and I put his carseat int he middle and seat belted it in. It worked great there and he seemed to like it there the best..

We then went and got the truck from Mark and did our arrans in it and we put the carseat in the middle and he actually mellowed out after a few minutes in the truck and laid down.. That is the first... he hasn't really liked the truck much up to this point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts