Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im loosing the battle of fixing our dog. Our vet didn't seem to concerned about not fixing him... so that just fueled my boyfriend. I was wondering if anyone has an intact male and could tell me how they behave?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
NaliaLee said:
Hello, Im loosing the battle of fixing our dog. Our vet didn't seem to concerned about not fixing him... so that just fueled my boyfriend. I was wondering if anyone has an intact male and could tell me how they behave?
Have your vet explain the "side effects" of not having your dog neutered. My friend had an intact male that developed testicular cancer, leading into his prostate area and caused all kinds of problems in his "manly" regions. It was a very painful surgery and recovery for him.

Dogs that are not being used for breeding should be sterilized to avoid health problems and issues. I would tell your vet you want to talk him into having the dog neutered and have him explain the health risks.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My friends dog has his "jewels" and if he smells a bitch in heat...he's OFF....LOL....he will dig a hole through the fence to get to her...plus his "doo-dads" hang....LOL...looks so funny...

I see no reason to not have them neutered unless your breeding them...to many accidents can happen and it's just silly to me...Dogs are not human males...they function just fine without their "jelly-beans"

So tell your boyfriend to get over it... :wink: Seriously ask him is he going ot be resonsible for the dog if he gets a female pregnant? Is he going to deal with the risks of cancer and pay the bills? Is he going to buy you new furniture when the dog decides to "mark" his territory? :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think it is a "Guy thing"! :roll: My husband did not want me to get either one of our Chi's neutered. Our Vet explained the dangers of testicular cancer and the whole "It does not make them act any differnt spiel" before he finally shut up about it! If you are not going to breed......than definitely neuter. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I was going to have Chico neutered last week...had the appointment set and everything, but I just couldn't go through with it. I'm not planning on breeding him or anything, but I just felt really bad about doing it to him. My husband was against it from the start, so I think that had a little to do with my decision not to neuter just yet.

Chico does still mark, but I have gotten used to the "signs" that he shows when he's about to, so then I just bring him outside. He's not at all an overly hyper dog (but he does have his moments)

But, with the things that male dogs could develope in the long run by not having them neutered, I think that unless you're planning to breed, they should be neutered. Chico will be neutered, just as soon as I can get the courage to leave him at the vet all day and feel calm and comfortable with it. He's my baby, so I worry.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget's not nuetered nor will he be.... I might use him asa stud... but If I was to get him nueterted now than I wouldn't ever have that option... so for now he will be intact...

he marks but I think he has gotten over the marking in the house.. not that much for him to mark... he does how ever like marking outside all the time.. we will walk around the park 3 or 4 times and he will be completely empty buit he will lift his leg... I think it is a mental thing...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't know if this helps but my vet didn't chop off Cooper's "thingies"... she just gave him a vasectomy, leaving him with his guys to hang out. Since he had it done at such a young age though, they're not noticable but you can see them if you are looking in that area.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Toby was intact didnt mark in the house and he lived a very healthy life til he died 3 days before his 16th birthday. :(

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Zola is intact and he will stay that way forever I think. My breeder said so long as he has both testicals it cannot be cancerous and he definatley has both. He was checked to when he was born. I don't see any other reason to get him done. I can't take away the poor boys manhood, it just wouldnt be right. I will not breed him either...Im not a pimp mammy. Only kiddin guys

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
i have a male that still has his berrys. and his' fine his really is a lover. he loves to lick he love to be held. hoves to give kisses

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
sullysmum said:
Toby was intact didnt mark in the house and he lived a very healthy life til he died 3 days before his 16th birthday. :(
i'm sorry for your lost but how old was he in dog years? if he was 16yrs?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts