Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 yo chi/rat terrier mix who's been a serious sniffer since I brouth him home a little over a year ago. In the last couple of months i've noticed that when we go out to the dog park or just out for a walk off lead, the first thing he does is star sniffing the air, and not just normal sniffing, I mean really taking it all in. He also sniffs the ground much in the same way. I've been around dogs my whole life, and would like to think I'm pretty keen on canine behavior however, this is my first time owning such a small breed and my first personal experience having a chi/chi mix. I know lots of other people who own chis and chi mixes, but none who behave this way. This is by no means a complaint or something I see as negative and I wonder if anyone else has had this experience with their chi and how they went about reinforcing that skill in play.
I enjoy doing things with my dog, we've tried a few things so he just didn't have an interest in, but if tracking (even if an odd chi behavior) is something he has an interest in I'd love to know how to further that. Thanks in advance for any help, ideas and feedback.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have no idea what to do to encourage this as a skill, but I think you should google it :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did.
I goggled and printed out some information regarding tracking in general, and I found a place here in the county the does training in tracking, field work and some other sports, but of course nothing about chi's.....its not their sport. Anyway I thought it would be nice to hear from someone who actually has first hand experience with a chi as opposed to reading about gun dogs, etc. I'm not sure how any serious training facility is going to feel about me crashing their class with my 6 lb chihuahua lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Weren't terriers bred for ratting?? So have strong sense of smells?? My girls sniff a lot but no more than a normal dog I don't think!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts