Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use four paws/ brewers yeast with /garlic pills as flea preventitive? If so, how does it work for you?

Also wondering if anyone uses vets best flea and tick spray?

I heard people talking about both of these being all natural ways to rid your pets of fleas?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't no, but I've always had something in the back of my mind to be a bit wary about using garlic in animals. I'm not very educated on the subject but garlic thins the blood and I also believe I've heard in highdoses it can cause anemia.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Garlic is bad for dogs in huge doses- but anything that kills fleas would be bad to eat in huge doses too! The amount in those products is totally safe. Lots of dog biscuits use garlic and people feed it straight to stop parasites too. With that said we use cedar oil on bandanas when we travel to places with fleas/ticks. At home we don't have to worry because we live in the desert. The cedar oil works really well for us for prevention but I haven't had an infestation to rid and I don't think it would be effective if we already had a problem.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I used garlic and brewer's yeast tablets as a preventative for my dogs a few summers ago. I can't guarantee its efficacy, but we were flea-free through flea season, and I had pulled a few off my dogs prior to beginning the tablets.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure Pige, I was just reading some others talk about it?

I have always been leary of garlic as well but I know of lots of rescues that use it.

Yes I am very aware of food grade diatomaceous earth. I do not have fleas at my home or on my dogs thank goodness. I was just curious about these products and if they worked well for future advice to others ;-)

Thanks everyone :)

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I started giving Hunley brewers yeast and garlic tablets and I found fleas on him today!!! How long does it take for the tablets to become efficient at their job? I know its not 100% but its gotta be better than all the chemicals. I also "bathe" him in a solution of apple cider vinegar and water but then he smells like a salad for a bit. I dont mind the smell but other family members do not like it. I was also thinking of making a solution of lemongrass and euclyptus essential oils and water to spray him down, hoping its a nicer smell. Can I also do cedar essential oil mixed with water on him or would that be toxic? Im also going to get a few of those flea traps with the light and sticky paper to help catch any wayward fleas. while put diatomaceous earth everywhere!! Ugh fleas.. I'd rather catch a tick on him and deal with that than fleas!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
The garlic has to build up in their system, so even given daily it will take a couple weeks to be effective. It is really best started before flea season.

If you go with the cedar oil DO NOT put it on their skin, or anywhere near their face - cedar oil is toxic and causes the liver to not function properly. Remember, anything that smells strongly to you is about a million times stronger to your dog. So just a couple drops, on cloth, angled away from the face.

I have also made a point to rid my yard of fleas (since that is the only place they've ever picked any up). I lined my fence with Marigolds and planted lavender in the center. I haven't had any flea issues since doing this (combined with garlic in their food several times a week).

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
okay thanx.. in regards to the dosage, it says one tablet for every ten pounds, double during high flea season. will this be okay for him being that he is 5.5 lbs?
well seems rubbing him with coconut oil helped me get rid of the few fleas that kept evading my searches. seems it bogs them down? they moved really slow after the oily rub.. hhmm might have something here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out "Buck Mountain parasite powder." I use it and it's wonderful. Also works in your home to keep out pesky beetles, flies, etc. in the summer. Fantastic natural, harmless (except for the bugs) alternative to chemical flea/tick prevention.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts