Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two chihuahuas and i think both got fleas. Well i am not sure what they are really, this never happened before. They both have gotten ticks in the past but never this.

Well they got this weird bug on them, they seem to move fast and are narrow and long, big enough to easily spot them with the naked eye. Not only that but i see these black dots on their fur, they look like small mites or dirt hard to tell.
I have given both baths with flee/tick shampoo multiple times and even used those small tube things that kills flees/ticks on the dog.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yes, you have done the correct thing by giving them the flea pipettes that are called spot-on treatments. They will work for fleas for 30 days and ticks for 14 days usually, depending on the brand.

The "flea dirt" you see on the dogs indicate to me that it must be a fairly severe infestation - that black stuff is made up mostly of dried dog blood that the flea has sucked out & then pooped out.

Don't forget to worm regularly either, especially for heart-worm depending on your location - worms of all kinds are the worst unseen killer of our pets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the thing, soon after i gave them the baths and spot on thing those fleas came back just a day or two later.

Yesterday i gave one of them a bath and now those fleas are on him again. I cant give another bath cause the shampoo says once once every two weeks.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Like Dee said, if it is fleas than that "dirt" like stuff is flea dirt. If you are seeing flea dirt, you have enough fleas to be concerned. You may have fleas in your home or yard- which could explain why they are coming back. If that is the case, you need to vaccum every inch of your home and furniture. Wash all of the bedding. Use some sort of flea killer or flea bomb. Here is a link with info: How to Get Rid of Fleas - House and Pets You will also need to treat your yard.

What topical did you use? Some will only kill fleas if they bite. Others will kill them just by contact. So, it depends. If the topical only kills if they bite, the fleas can live in on the dog without dying.

The other explanation is that it is not fleas. It could be ticks, although I do not really know. Not all topical flea treatments protect against ticks, so once again it depends. Maybe mites, but I am not too familiar with them.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not sure where you live, but fleas are terrible in this area this year - our winter wasn't hard enough. All bugs are out of control - spiders, ticks, fleas, flies...

You need to make sure you are using a good brand of the flea control. If you are, you aren't supposed to use it for 2 days before a bath or two days after a bath, according to my vet.

It sounds like you have a really severe infestation. You may need to bomb your house (remove the dogs, of course) and start from scratch. Buy a good quality flea control from the vet.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Not sure where you live, but fleas are terrible in this area this year - our winter wasn't hard enough. All bugs are out of control - spiders, ticks, fleas, flies...

You need to make sure you are using a good brand of the flea control. If you are, you aren't supposed to use it for 2 days before a bath or two days after a bath, according to my vet.
BUGS! This summer is all about BUGS! Disgusting and miserable for us and the dogs.

Anyhow, now that I got my bug rant out, Kim's advice is absolutely correct. I usually wait 2-3 days after a bath to give the topical. Then don't give a bath for a few days. Most are waterproof but take a day or two to dry completely. If you bathe too soon or give the topical too soon after a bath, it WILL NOT be as effective.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thing is i have been living here in North east PA for almost 7 years and never had fleas on my dog ever. All of a sudden this year they get it, i dont do anything different, i still walk them in the same places for the past 7 yrs.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Go to the vet and ask about Capstar. It is an oral flea control.

What kind of flea bath and pipette are you using? Some dogs have fleas that are resistant. Advantage, for example, is not working on many dogs as the fleas have developed resistance to it.

Flea control is not just about getting them off the dog. It's about the environment, otherwise they will just jump right back on the dog. Severe infestations require that you have to bomb your house, car, and treat your yard - in addition to treating the dogs.

I've heard good things about the fleabusters product. You can google it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.