Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I am trying to decide whether i want to breed my doggie in the future, so i am going to be investigating breeding over the next few months - i have a wee question for you guys. The most important thing to me is obviously my dogs health - i would never want to kill her by breeding her, and i would never want to breed her and then she's never the same baby again.

Will my baby change after she has babies? Will her body change? Or will she go back to normal?

Plz help.

Thanks Gilli :wave:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Yes they change. They get bigger, just like woman do. Not a lot but they do. And yes it affects their health if you breed them every heat cycle! If your female is in great health and has had a vets approval that she is breed able, then find a really nice male make sure you research his pedigree and genetics before you breed her. And keep in mind that just because she is in great health does not mean she might not have to have a C-section when she Whelps. When she is pregnant make sure you have x-rays done when she is 53 days to make sure those pups will fit through her pelvis. There is alot to breeding more than people think. Talk with your vet he/she can give great advice. :wink:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise, i would always check with my vet before i did anything anyway!

My girl is definetely up to standards the lady who sold her to me only sold her because she couldnt get her on the lead for walking - if only she was more gentle with coco she would have been able to get her to do it.

However she is up to standards as the woman is experienced in showing dogs and she says coco is a very lovely dog i should show her now i have her on the lead - but i dont want to do that.

If i do breed coco I am only going to breed her the one time and then have her neutered. I don't want her becoming ill or anything i just think i should share her beautiful genes with others - and i want to keep one the wee darlings for myself. I will get more pics on my mobile tonight and post them - but it wont let me attach anything here can you tell me how to?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to answer your question ozzy & lilys mum - she weights 1.75kg at her last weighing when she was 8 months so she is very light at the moment - and i dont believe she has put on any more weight. My mentor suggested that if she stays that weight she would need a smaller boy so there is no complications with having larger pups. But she said i'd have to check with the vet as she's never had a girl as small so she cant be sure - if coco is too light to have pups then fair enough i'm not bothered i've still got her and that's all i care about the most - my wee coco pops :D

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
If she stays that weight she shouldnt be bred she is only 3 and a half pounds and good breeders wont breed a bitch unless shes over 4 pounds usually 4 and a half to 5 pound. and at 8 months she might not get any bigger even if bred too a small dog she is still too small too breed :cry:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah the vet said that she thought coco would only get to 1.9kg at the most and well that's still too light isn't it? I wouldnt breed her if she was too light there is no way i'd ever risk her health she is number one as far as im concerned! So you don't have to worry about me being a bad breeder i would never put an animals life in danger! I love animals!

It would be nice to have her pups one day - but if its not for her its not for her and she can just continue to be the lil princess she is!

When she gets her vacinations next year (she will be 1 year) and i will speak to the vet about it and see what they say and i will also come on here and tell all what the vet said - as i wouldnt go by only their opinion either!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
but keep in mind ...the longer you wait with spaying ....the more chance she gets to cancer ,after every heat cycle the chances increase :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks nats, i will consider the possiblity! I wont wait around - don't want her to catch that awful disease, that would just be terrible :cry:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Unless your chi is 4.5 lbs or above your vet should not be telling you its ok. Breeding with a smaller male does not guarantee small pups. Just for the record if your breeder, mentor told you she is show quality at a pup stage that cannot be determined in 12 week old pups a good age is 6 months to know if that dog is a show prospect. Secondly, an ethical breeder would not sell a show quality pup especially a female unless the person purchasing that pup is going to show it, otherwise they will only sell with spay and neuter contracts. It appears to me either you are being decieved or you are being deceptive JMHO

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thank you, I try to be as polite as i can its not often i can find the words to express myself properly with a polished tongue :oops: but I try hard. I find I am misinterpeted alot also but i try to get what i want out the way i want it if needs clarity

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well janine - coco is in fact of the show standard my breeder sold coco to me when she was 7 months old and the reason she didnt keep her was because she couldnt get coco to walk on the lead and she felt as though coco was holding her other show dogs that she has back!
That is also the reason why she kept coco for that time because she kept trying to get coco to do it - all coco needed was a little love as now she walks on the lead fine i am thinking of taking her to ring croft classes myself now!

The lady was not being deceiving if you have a look at cocos pics you will see for yourself! She is of the true standard!

You sound a bit big mouthed for my liking - why would i want deceive anyone about my dog, i really do have better things to do how dare you accuse me!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
what gets me on this forum is no one really reads other members posts. and if they do they surely don't remember what they read. i remember when lovelychipupz first came on board and remember that coco was 7 months old when she got her. this is one thing about this forum that burns me. people always assuming things. it was assumed that coco was bought at 12 weeks of age as a show quality pup and then with that in mind conclusions were jumped to and comments made. which were offensive. janie and clare please dont' tell me that you 2 watch your tongues with some of the posts you make cause a lot of the times you hurt peoples feelings "without meaning to" it's something called tact ladies. theres no misinterpreting rudeness, yes every once in awhile words are twisted but in many cases you say what you say to members and mean it. people walk on eggshells here so they don't "get on clare's badside. or get clare goin" (i put them in quotes cause that was exactly what has been said to me by other members.) people don't voice their own opinions just to avoid confrontation, which to me is ridiculous. this is a forum not eveyone will agree all the time but ganging up on someone is bullying, especially if that someone didn't do anything wrong or say anything wrong.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes i agree with luv4mygirls - i've seen both of you gang up on ppl in other forums - or at least make un-called for comments!

***EDITED FOR OFFENSIVE REMARKS***

Sorry but anyone talking about my girl bad makes me so mad and upset ! :evil: :cry:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts