Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I'm thinking Pixie may be in season. Shes 9 months (almost) Her bits have swelled up huge and shes licking herself alot. She has NO discharge. She is also trying to back up to darcy a bit, but its usually when they are playing. He or any of the others havent tried to mount her, although Darcy was humping her head this morning when they were playing! lol Sarah said typica bloke getting the wrong end!! hahahaha

Does it sound like shes possibly in season already? darcy is 51/2 months now, is that to young for him to be able to mate with her?

Also, when you have intact males and females in the house together, how do you manage them? I feel so bad keeping them apart because they really are a close pack, But i certainly dont want any puppies!!

Would a ballyband be strong enough to stop Darcy being able to tie with her?

Sorry so many questions x

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Belly bands won't keep them from tying, nor will any sort of diaper for Pixie :( It does sound like she is in season, and Darcy IS old enough to tie w/ her, although whether or not his semen is "fertile" yet is iffy. I would keep them completely separate.

Two large crates in different rooms. If only one is a crate they can still tie through that. Its just one of the joys of an intact pack I guess!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Darcy also marked inside the house :)

Rache honestly i think she is I think it maybe a blind season with no blood her bits were slightly swollen last month when I saw you all :) I was wondering (reception dies btw) whether the reason he's humping her head is coz he is too young to follow all his instincts I dunno!! He humped daisy like mad too

A belly band won't stop them at all neither will a wire crate :(

If it becomes to difficult I'll have darcy fir a couple of weeks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Not as small as they were but they will stay like they were a few weeks ago :)

Have her nipples enlarged at all?!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think it's normal to worry especially with the first season. I'd actually crate her separately at night and put White towels in as you can see if any blood!! It's a bit of a sod if she doesn't bleed at all :roll: you could crate her with Billy but I wonder if he wants to get jiggy and she don't madam may lose her little temper?
I dunno anyway if u get stressed out let me know and I'll have him (temporarily) the girls will bash him up a bit lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hehe I feel ya girl, its why I am putting off getting a female for a good while, and when I do, I want to get her around a year old so I only have to keep him off her for a season. It will make me cranky, for sure.

9 months isabout right for a small lass like Pixie to be in heat. Her lady bits will always be a bit larger now, but not as big as they are now.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Your male will get to her if they can get near each other. He'll hump every inch of her while she's in heat. But once she's "ready," she'll start flagging, and he will do anything to get to her. It will be a longgggg 3 weeks, and gets very annoying. They will act like "crazy" dogs. Some will whine, pace, not sleep, not eat, etc.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I wonder if this is her second week if she's been backing up to him I remember u saying she was moody last week!!!

Hahaha poor dude ain't gonna be happy lol

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sounds like it could be her heat. Maybe just the beginning which could by why you aren't seeing any discharge yet. But like others have said some dogs don't bleed. Mari is very difficult to tell she's in heat so I really have to watch her. When she first starts her bits just get a bit swollen & pink. She never really bleeds but on occasion we'll find a spot here & there. You can try to catch a bit of something by using a piece of toilet paper & dabbing it to see if there is any color. Just try to catch her when she's not been cleaning herself for a bit...maybe after a snooze.

I really think when she is in the accepting part of her heat you'll know no doubt. She'll be flagging the boys (and maybe Poppy LOL) & give that distinct candy cane shaped tail. haha I'm also thinking Darcy will be very interested in her when she is ready as well. Possibly even Billy. Both my neutered boys are after Mari like mad when she's in that stage of her heat and WILL tie with her! I kind of blame our pack being very close for that..so beware. LOL I doubt Darcy is producing sperm just yet. Marley was just barley 7mo & Mari escaped from her double gated pen in the 5 minutes I was in the shower (and left everyone sleeping soundly) and managed to tie with him. Thank goodness that boo boo didn't take!! So I think while he definitely had the drive - he didn't have to goods. LOL

As for seperating them - when Maya came into heat I kept Marley teathered to me the entire time & Maya was confined to her xpen with supervised time outside every day. It was a PITA but I did NOT want her to get pregnant. Thank goodness her entire heat lasted under 2 weeks. Even still I kept one of them teathered to me for a few days to make sure there wasn't any interest in one another. I'd totally take Sarah up on her offer though. I wish I'd had someone I could trust with my pups. LOL But everyone I know either works all day or has big dogs that would make me super nervous.

Anyway, it definitely does sound like she's in heat. I also find it helpful to record day number & symptoms so next time you know what to expect...unless you plan on spaying her anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Heather I think she's in her second week Rach said earlier pixie was backing up to darcy with her tail to the side :/ are all neutered dogs attracted to girls in heat (I'm thinking vernon here)?? I dunno this fascinates me lol

I'm gonna get my book out tomorrow and study lol

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I don't know - I've read some neutered dogs aren't attracted to females in heat. But all of mine surely are. :roll: But then again they weren't all that into Maya when she was in heat but she was also penned & when Milo did try hitting on her I got after him. LOL

Hmm...she may be further along then. I'd definitely try the toilet paper thing though to see if by chance there is even just a bit of discharge. Usually when they're in the accepting stage the discharge is more of a straw color. I know it's hard to check though with some...Mari is very hard to determine so with her I basically have to go on her her bit size/color & behavior which is also tricky since as you know, she's quite a floosy. ;) With Pixie it sounds like maybe bit size will be the indicator. It does take a bit to figure out their heats since every female is different.

If she is in her second week though I'm quite surprised Darcy isn't interested. I guess...some males just take a bit longer to get what those scents mean. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts