Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question, but my 18 week chihuahua ear's are floppy. They won't stand up. Is there such a thing as a floppy eared chiququa? Do all chi's ears eventually stand up? We have a 2 year old Chi who's ears were always up and are worried her brother's ears are broken. Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just hang in there maybe they will stand up. If not they still be your baby, I know that there is a way the vet wraps them to make them stand but I like floppy too. There is one in my bunch that didnt' have the left ear to stand up and well shes with her new daddy and he loves her just the same. It might still happen. :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper doesn't know what you're talking about... broken ears. :D

Cooper knows he's cuter with them floppy so he doesn't let his stand up. Unless you've got his bone and he wants it back... then maybe one will go up. :D

they'll go up around 6ish months of age and stay up. The cartilidge has to form and harden in them; that's why they're born with 'em floppy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I happen to "adore" Coopers ears. He just would not be Cooper without those sweet "floppy" ears. :D He also has "eyes" to die for....again, how do you keep him humble? Or is that "omakitty's job? :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
LOL OmaKitty does a lot of it... then he comes to me to see if he can get away with what she tells him he can't do and I have to back her up. She has nails. They hurt. I have to be able to sleep without fear. LOL

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Cooper said:
LOL OmaKitty does a lot of it... then he comes to me to see if he can get away with what she tells him he can't do and I have to back her up. She has nails. They hurt. I have to be able to sleep without fear. LOL

Sounds as if Omakitty rules with a "rod of iron"! :D

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
How to Tape Floppy Ears

This is a breeder's trick to train Chi and Yorkie ears to stay up. (This is for puppy ears only. Adult ears that flop will not benefit from this.)

Tear off a strip of masking tape about 6" long. Fold the edge of the tape over on itself at an angle. Continue folding the tape over on itself so that you create a triangle of tape.

Tear another piece of tape about 3-4" long, depending on the size of your dog's ear. You can also use vet wrap for this.

Place the triangle on the inside of the dog's ear with the one point of the triangle pointing up, matching the point of the ear. Make sure it doesn't go into the ear canal. Place it low enough, however, so the top of the ear will not be top heavy. Take the other tape strip and wrap it around the ear, attaching the first end of the strip to the tape triangle. Once again, wrap low enough that the ear is not top heavy. The tape should almost be sitting on the top of the head.

Leave the tape in place for one week. Then unwrap the ear (mineral oil or vaseline will help the tape come loose easier). Check the ear. If it's standing up, the tape has done it's job. If not, tape the ear once again using all new tape and wait another week. Usually ears will be standing by this time, although a few stubborn ears can take 3 weeks.

The dog may bat at the ear for a day, but will soon not notice the tape at all. If the tape seems to be bothersome after a day or more, check to make sure that you haven't taped too far down that tape is in the ear canal.

http://groups.msn.com/chinutchihuahuas/tipsandhints.msnw

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I have a floppy-eared Chihuahua. Lola's ears stood up temporarily when she was a puppy but they have been floppy ever since. Here is an example of her ears:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
We should form a Floppy Eared Chihuahua club so we don't have to hang around all these inferior big eared chis. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers has floppy ears too. They often stood at times and still do but usually are down. It seems when he is excited, if I have his toy especially, they'll go up. :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I love the name Mr. Peepers... I always think of the monkey boy when I see him. LOL It's such a formal name, but at the same time, it's not. :lol:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Oh how I wish Charley's ears were still floppy!! I think floppy ear Chi's are SOOO adorable! :)

Charley's ears stayed were my source of amusement for months! First one ear would stand up ... then the other ... sometimes both ... sometimes neither! I secretly wished they would stay floppy, but I think he's adorable either way.

Now, for me to see floppy-eared Charley, I have to catch him first thing in the morning. Usually when he climbs out from under the covers after just waking up they're floppy. That's when I go camera crazy. I'm going to attempt my first picture post below ... if it doesn't come through you can call me the Not-so-edukatedredhed. :wink:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
He is too cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'd put more exclamation points but it would be overkill. ... wait... I feel one more coming... :!: )We, of course, will need to see many more pics.

Congrats on doing it right the first time! :lol: FYI, you can post up to three photos using that method per post. :D

Oh.. and welcome to the board! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all for the replies. I never knew so many chi's ears never came up. I don't know if I could bring my self to tape little tobi's ears, he's a little cutie no matter what.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts