Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because Chloe is 5 months next week and she is still tiny. She was such a big baby so I expected her to get to the 5-5.5 lb range. Ax was almost the size he is now at 5 months, just a lot leaner. Chloe is an inch shorter than Axle in both height and length as well as being lean. They have been or raw for about 6 weeks now (with a bit of good quality grain free kibble as their lunchtime meal mon-fri while i'm at work) so I'm wondering if this is why she is taking her time catching up to Axle. It would be funny if she stayed smaller than him since she was such a big elephant for a Chi pup and he was a tiny dainty thing!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes! Raw pups DO grow slower and more steady. You usually do not see the gangly puppy ugly teenager stage as much with raw fed dogs. They grow slowly and steadily. Their kibble fed counterparts will have uneven growth spurts, where their front and rear are different heights, their legs look too long, their bum is really high, etc. You rarely see that in raw fed dogs.

In the end, they will end up at exactly what they were genetically programmed to be. Not bigger or smaller because of being raw fed. Just slower getting there. :) Because they grow slower, this is better for their joints. They also don't have the typical puppy chubbies that many kibble fed dogs have.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Huh. Very interesting.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. I didn't think she was going to be a shrimp. She was weighed at the vet this morning (while they were playing she accidentally gave Axle an owie on his eye which I wanted to have checked out - he's fine) and was spot on 3 1/2 lbs (1.6kg) so she still has a way to go before she catches up to Ax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts