Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
here's my baby's petfinder page.
Petfinder Adoptable Dog | Chihuahua | Lafayette, NJ | SISSY.

from her pictures does she need grooming? if so, what should be done.
I know her back hair needs grooming since it is sticking up like a cat's hair when they hiss and their hair stands up.

what kind of brush should i get?

if someone was to shave most of her long hair off, for some reason in the summer, how long would it take to grow back. i know the offical coat of LH takes 2 years? but what after?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have no grooming advice, but boy is she cute! Good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
She is so gorgeous! Nice to see someone else from NJ. I groom all my girls myself. Oreo(LC) gets a bath and I cut by her butt so poop dosent get stuck and clip her tail one length so she does not drag it on the floor. I take her to the vet to have her nails clipped cause she bites and screams for them and then I use an electic shaver to get the hair in between her pads. The only other thing I clip is the hair by her ears, if left very long she gets her nails stuck in it. I personally do not touch her back.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'd take her to a groomer for the first go around to let them clean her up. That will make it soooo much easier for you to maintain.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm just wondering -- have you asked if they've checked her knees? Because of how she's built, I kind of wonder about her patellas. The reason I bring it up is if she has a problem with them, the surgeries are VERY expensive, at over $1200 per leg. So its always good to get that checked on a chi/small breed before you bring them home.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just as a caution, if you do take her to a groomer be careful if they cage dry after bathing. It gets very hot in the cages and there have been small dogs that have died from over heating.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Just as a caution, if you do take her to a groomer be careful if they cage dry after bathing. It gets very hot in the cages and there have been small dogs that have died from over heating.
really? How scary, I am glad I do all of Honeys grooming my self!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Please don't cut her fur off in the summer she will shed her winter coat for summer anyway there is no need to cut a long haired chis coat at all!!

Wait til you get her if you can bathe and brush her yourself I have a comb also but my girls don't get knotty at all they really don't need a lot of grooming

I would also ask for her patellas to be checked and her front legs

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. :).
I am not thinking about shaving her any time. But was wondering how long does it take to grow back.
As for the knees, she seems to be in pretty good health. The shelter is more of a foster home place, and the vet comes in every Wednesday. Also she is able to run around like a mad girl without any problems.

it is very hard to bond with her there because a lot of the workers keep picking her up etc.

What kind of comb/brush should i get?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
The only type of grooming you may need is a sanitary cut. You should be able to wash her with dog shampoo and conditioner (you may want to use oatmeal based) and then dry and brush her yourself. As said before groomers can be forgetful and sometimes not caring and can easily harm a dog. If she has a double coat you may need a little more than just a brush. I use a metal pronged brush and it works fine. Chihuahuas can run around perfectly fine with LP so asking specifically would be better as this vet may not know what to check for other than just the standard.

How timid is she?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only type of grooming you may need is a sanitary cut. You should be able to wash her with dog shampoo and conditioner (you may want to use oatmeal based) and then dry and brush her yourself. As said before groomers can be forgetful and sometimes not caring and can easily harm a dog. If she has a double coat you may need a little more than just a brush. I use a metal pronged brush and it works fine. Chihuahuas can run around perfectly fine with LP so asking specifically would be better as this vet may not know what to check for other than just the standard.

How timid is she?
She's REALLY timid at first. She won't go by you, she'll scampe to someone else with her tail between her legs. :(. Poor girl. But then as time went on (aprox 1.5 hrs) she came and sniffed me). we went back the very next day w/ treats and she came by me to eat the treats. they have a dog trainer there so she was able to give me some tips on how to befriend her. By the end of the second day I was able to pet her for a few seconds and she would give me kisses. I wonder what she'll be like the 3rd day. I doubt i can get her into grooming this month. She's really shy of strangers... But it could be that she's in the shelter and could be different when i get home. (probably not).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I use exposure therapy w/ my shy girl. I got her when she was 6 months old and the way they relate to the world is firmly entrenched by then.

She is much much better.

Before I used exposure therapy, I tried positive reinforcement (did nothing!), worked with a trainer (total waste of $!!), and just about everything else they recommend for fearful dogs. Finally I just decided...ENOUGH! And started bringing her places whether she was frightened or not. Loud places, places in the car, places with lots of people, places where I let people hold her, etc etc. But the reason this works for her is she does not display fear/aggressive related behaviors.

I also make her go to doggie daycare...strange dogs, strange people, new smells, etc. etc., as well as social hours. I think that helped the most...

You will have to find out what works for Sissy but they can get slightly better. Mine will never be the social butterfly that my other 3 dogs are but she at least is learning to cope with the world in a healthier way.

Edited to add: PLEASE have them have a vet check her patellas before you get her...the prevalence of this problem in chihuahuas (yes, even ones that run around wildly) is astonishing.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If you shave them their coats sometimes don't grow back correctly it's pointless doing it and they look stupid! Put it this way it takes up to 3 years for their full coat to come in :)

I'd definitely get her patellas checked

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Her coat looks lovely :)
She won't need to be groomed as such and will be fairly low maintenance
A bath from time to time and a good blow dry will be sufficient with a quick trim of hair around her bottom and possibly her face. You could also do the pads on her feet.

A pin brush should help you keep her longer bits tangle free and you could probably use a slicker brush for the shorter fur on her back. A small furminator may come in handy when she moults but only on the shorter denser fur on her body. A soft bristle brush may help you get her used to being brushed combined with treats and praise of course x

·
Registered
84 Posts
Firge's front legs look like something is wrong with them. She turns them in strange directions and they are real skinny.

A friend was by the other day and he said that I'd better get some kind of food for arthritis because of her "joints"???

What are the things you all know of that could be wrong with her legs. She sure doesn't have any problem going as fast as a greyhound on them.

I can't get in touch with the lady I got her from. I called her house numerous times and she's never there. I'm sure she doesn't want to talk wth me. Maybe that's why, something is wrong with her.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a short coat, so I really have no grooming advice either
as mine is basically wash/go. LOL...
She is a Beauty thou with a lovely coat of fur.
Soooooo glad to see one rescued and found its Forever
home. I Applaud you... :hello1::hello1:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
She is gorgeous. With a grooming she will be beautiful. She looks full chi to me though not a mix. Can't wait to see more pics. Yeah, I wouldn't cut her fur, it's amazing how some nasty knots can actually come out with a good conditioner and a good comb.

Lori

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good advice. My groomer doesn't cage dry little dogs, she hand dries them. Lavender has only been to the groomer once, but she looks great. The groomer only did minimum trimming, nails, sanitary trim, pads, no trimming of ears or elsewhere. Lavender has a beautiful coat and I want to keep as much of it as possible.

Jeanette

1 - 20 of 20 Posts